Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Low Light Help

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Ian White
    Ian White  11177 forum posts United Kingdom
    17 Oct 2012 - 7:32 PM

Hi All

Not sure if this the right place but please feel free to move it mr or miss Mod
    On Saturdy night i am going to an event at Shildon,it run's from 4 to 10 o'clock at night and floodlight's are going to be used for some of the time.

So my plan was to bracket exposures from say 15 secs to 30 secs,between F 8 And F11

So my question is do you think it will work and would you shoot Raw or JPEG

thanks for taking the time to read my post, Ian

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    17 Oct 2012 - 7:32 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

timbo
    timbo  11591 forum posts United Kingdom
    17 Oct 2012 - 7:50 PM

What is the event?

Ian White
    Ian White  11177 forum posts United Kingdom
    17 Oct 2012 - 8:11 PM

It's a private photo charter using 4 steam locos at the locomotion museum in Shildon,when the loco's are moved around and posed in photo locations, the loco's wont be moving when i would be taking pictures

Thanks , Ian

Jestertheclown
    17 Oct 2012 - 8:29 PM

I can't advise you re. exposures but I'd certainly shoot in RAW.

Briwooly
    Briwooly  8452 forum posts England5 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Oct 2012 - 9:01 PM

This loco shot was taken at around 6am in mid October (dark) Wink you can see from the data the camera set up was iso 400 f11 exposure was 8 sec the camera was obviously tripod mounted hope this helps
    And I shot in raw.
    Brian.............

Last Modified By Briwooly at 17 Oct 2012 - 9:02 PM
    User_Removed
    17 Oct 2012 - 11:19 PM

Quote: So my plan was to bracket exposures from say 15 secs to 30 secs,between F 8 And F11

So my question is do you think it will work and would you shoot Raw or JPEG

Why not just use your camera's AE system? By all means bracket exposures but try using auto-ISO on Aperture priority with the max ISO set to, say, 6400 and the minimum shutter speed to, say, 1/60th.

I would shoot Raw. Why choose Jpeg and throw away at least 75% of the data your sensor collects?

Last Modified By User_Removed at 17 Oct 2012 - 11:20 PM
    Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 41197 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Oct 2012 - 1:40 AM

You might as well ask what lens to use or what clothes to wear. You can't say what the exposures will need to be until you have measured the light! You don't know what the ambient light is going to be, because it might depend on the weather. There will be floodlights? How bright will they be and how close to the engines? Will you be allowed to use a tripod? If so use a low ISO for better quality. Are you getting fully lit pics, or dark and moody ones?

Without being there, it's impossible to say what you should base your exposure on. Find something you want as a mid-tone and meter from that as a guideline. If using a tripod, use aperture priority, a low ISO and let the camera give you an exposure. Adjust +/- compensation from there.

When you are there, shoot a few trial shots and review them on screen. Look at the histogram and adjust your exposure to get a full graph with no clipping at either end.

Whatever you do, shoot raw.

Nick

Last Modified By Sooty_1 at 18 Oct 2012 - 1:43 AM
    davey_griffo
    18 Oct 2012 - 12:30 PM

As stated above, it's difficult or impossible to give advice on exposure until you get there & see how much light there is.

I would always advise shooting in raw, if for no better reason than that you have more latitude to correct any errors. You may nail the perfect shot, composition-wise, but if the exposure is off you could end up binning it. Raw will give you more slack for correction. It's also a hell of a lot easier to correct exposure in the converter.

ether
    ether  2 England
    18 Oct 2012 - 1:06 PM

Remember to use your tripod and cable release, if you don't have a separate exposure meter use your camera to take manual exposure reading and use them.
    as it gets darker I would turn up the ISO as I think pictures of steam locos in low light could bare a little noise.

and always shoot in raw for the reasons mentioned above
    Have a great time
    Ed

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.