Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Low Light Help

Ian White e2
12 177 United Kingdom
17 Oct 2012 7:32PM
Hi All

Not sure if this the right place but please feel free to move it mr or miss Mod
On Saturdy night i am going to an event at Shildon,it run's from 4 to 10 o'clock at night and floodlight's are going to be used for some of the time.

So my plan was to bracket exposures from say 15 secs to 30 secs,between F 8 And F11

So my question is do you think it will work and would you shoot Raw or JPEG

thanks for taking the time to read my post, Ian

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

timbo e2
12 592 United Kingdom
17 Oct 2012 7:50PM
What is the event?
Ian White e2
12 177 United Kingdom
17 Oct 2012 8:11PM
It's a private photo charter using 4 steam locos at the locomotion museum in Shildon,when the loco's are moved around and posed in photo locations, the loco's wont be moving when i would be taking pictures

Thanks , Ian
Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
17 Oct 2012 8:29PM
I can't advise you re. exposures but I'd certainly shoot in RAW.
Briwooly e2
9 452 5 England
17 Oct 2012 9:01PM
This loco shot was taken at around 6am in mid October (dark) Wink you can see from the data the camera set up was iso 400 f11 exposure was 8 sec the camera was obviously tripod mounted hope this helps
And I shot in raw.
Brian.............
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
17 Oct 2012 11:19PM

Quote:So my plan was to bracket exposures from say 15 secs to 30 secs,between F 8 And F11

So my question is do you think it will work and would you shoot Raw or JPEG

Why not just use your camera's AE system? By all means bracket exposures but try using auto-ISO on Aperture priority with the max ISO set to, say, 6400 and the minimum shutter speed to, say, 1/60th.

I would shoot Raw. Why choose Jpeg and throw away at least 75% of the data your sensor collects?

Sooty_1 e2
4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
18 Oct 2012 1:40AM
You might as well ask what lens to use or what clothes to wear. You can't say what the exposures will need to be until you have measured the light! You don't know what the ambient light is going to be, because it might depend on the weather. There will be floodlights? How bright will they be and how close to the engines? Will you be allowed to use a tripod? If so use a low ISO for better quality. Are you getting fully lit pics, or dark and moody ones?

Without being there, it's impossible to say what you should base your exposure on. Find something you want as a mid-tone and meter from that as a guideline. If using a tripod, use aperture priority, a low ISO and let the camera give you an exposure. Adjust +/- compensation from there.

When you are there, shoot a few trial shots and review them on screen. Look at the histogram and adjust your exposure to get a full graph with no clipping at either end.

Whatever you do, shoot raw.

Nick
davey_griffo e2
5 213 165 England
18 Oct 2012 12:30PM
As stated above, it's difficult or impossible to give advice on exposure until you get there & see how much light there is.

I would always advise shooting in raw, if for no better reason than that you have more latitude to correct any errors. You may nail the perfect shot, composition-wise, but if the exposure is off you could end up binning it. Raw will give you more slack for correction. It's also a hell of a lot easier to correct exposure in the converter.
ether e2
3 20 England
18 Oct 2012 1:06PM
Remember to use your tripod and cable release, if you don't have a separate exposure meter use your camera to take manual exposure reading and use them.
as it gets darker I would turn up the ISO as I think pictures of steam locos in low light could bare a little noise.

and always shoot in raw for the reasons mentioned above
Have a great time
Ed

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.