Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Low Light/High ISO

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

bppowell
bppowell  122124 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
3 Aug 2012 - 8:21 PM

I have the Olympus E30 and I am 95% happy with it.

Where it lets me down a bit is in low light conditions, when the ISO gets above 200 the noise is noticeable.

Can anyone recommend a DSLR around 1000 that is better then the E30 in these conditions.

Barry

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Aug 2012 - 8:21 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Graysta
Graysta  91133 forum posts England
3 Aug 2012 - 9:35 PM

Possibly the Nikon D7000.

The Nikons seem to be the low light winners at the moment,I have D3 - D3s -and D800 and they
are special in low light.
The D3s being the best.

Last Modified By Graysta at 3 Aug 2012 - 9:37 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314968 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Aug 2012 - 9:47 PM

The new Olympus OM-D

whatsthisbuttondo
whatsthisbuttondo e2 Member 3whatsthisbuttondo vcard England
3 Aug 2012 - 9:53 PM

Pentax k5 same sensor as nikon d7000 very cheap at moment and magnesium shell . weather sealing if i remember rightly better low light peformance than d7000. But nikon have much more lenses

justin c
justin c  104512 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
3 Aug 2012 - 10:00 PM

A lot will depend on how low the light is and how high an ISO setting you're prepared to go. Noise is very subjective and what may be acceptable to one person, may not be to someone else.
It's worth remembering that there are those that assess noise levels of the unedited Raw file, at silly magnifications, with their nose on the monitor screen Tongue and there is the far more valuable method, IMHO, of viewing the actual finished product, i.e. a well processed, noise reduced image, viewed in your preferred manner, i.e. a print, a projected image, displayed on the web, viewed on a television, etc, etc.

But on to the actual matter of which camera body for under 1000. Two that come to mind and the only ones I've experience with, are:

1) Canon 5D (plenty on the secondhand market at approximately half of your budget), no problem with ISO 1600.

2) Canon 5D Mk II, an even better option, but I've no idea of what price they go for secondhand. I've had some very usable results at ISO 6400.

Last Modified By justin c at 3 Aug 2012 - 10:01 PM
StrayCat
StrayCat  1014493 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
3 Aug 2012 - 10:11 PM

The OM-D, definitely, and your 4/3 lenses will work with most features using the Olympus 4/3 to micro 4/3 adapter. One thing we have to remember when setting higher ISOs is to check the histogram and make sure we're getting enough detail to the right. Just crank in a bit of +EV compensation.

Last Modified By StrayCat at 3 Aug 2012 - 10:12 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314968 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
4 Aug 2012 - 12:22 AM

Quote: Noise is very subjective and what may be acceptable to one person, may not be to someone else

I always found the noise ok up to around 1600 ISO with these camera`s.

Quote: Can anyone recommend a DSLR around 1000 that is better then the E30 in these conditions

All, including a fair few compacts Smile

ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
4 Aug 2012 - 7:45 AM

I hate noise in my Images personally and If I can although it cannot be helped getting noise i will denoise with a software.
The highest i have shot with noise is ISO 3200 with wildlife, some may say that is way too much, but with a good lens and software for denoising colour noise is now history for me.
Saying that when i shoot weddings i would rather not have any noise to start with so i use flash guns with defusers and get creative or use a wide aperture lens say f1.4 or 1.8 for example.

some cameras can cope with noise and some can't.

I find my 5d mark ii full frame handles low light very well and you can pick them up now for around 1200.00.

Steppenwolf
4 Aug 2012 - 8:30 AM

Any recent DSLR will improve on the E30 for noise. A larger sensor will also help of course - your budget won't run to an FF camera but any APS-C will offer about 60% more light collection capacity than the 4/3 E30. At the moment the best APS-C sensor for high ISO (and virtually everything else) is the Sony 16Mp sensor. This is used in the Nikon D7000, Pentax K5 and Sony A57, Nex 5n. The Sony A57 loses 30% of the light because of the translucent mirror so, if low light capability is your priority, I'd go for the Nikon D7000. The Olympus OMD-EM5 also has a good reputation for high ISO - it's got a 4/3 size 16Mp, apparently also made by Sony.

bppowell
4 Aug 2012 - 4:26 PM

Thanks for all the comments, I will have a look at the suggestions.

I was looking at the Nikon D3 and the Canon 5D Mk II yesterday but both of them were well over the 2000 mark body only, so I ruled them out.

My best option might be the OMD-EM5 + adapter it may save me having to get a lens as well.

Barry

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
4 Aug 2012 - 4:39 PM

As you do wildlife mostly, I am not sure if you do a lot of focus tracking, and how EM5 fairs on that department. AF is probably quick on EM5 but focus tracking is different.

bppowell
4 Aug 2012 - 4:55 PM

The camera would be mostly used in a church or registry office where flash is not allowed.

At the moment I use the E30 and software but think there must be a simpler way, hence looking into a new camera.

Barry

Steppenwolf
4 Aug 2012 - 4:55 PM

Quote: As you do wildlife mostly, I am not sure if you do a lot of focus tracking, and how EM5 fairs on that department. AF is probably quick on EM5 but focus tracking is different.

Yes. I don't think an EM5 would be a good idea for wildlife. Wait for the next generation with phase detection AF which can't be far off. Otherwise go for a DSLR or an SLT which have it now.

Paul Morgan
4 Aug 2012 - 5:06 PM

Quote: As you do wildlife mostly, I am not sure if you do a lot of focus tracking

I hadn`t realised sticks move Smile Smile

justin c
justin c  104512 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
4 Aug 2012 - 5:22 PM

Quote: I was looking at the Nikon D3 and the Canon 5D Mk II yesterday but both of them were well over the 2000 mark body only

The Canon 5D11 is closer to 1500 new, so should be closer to your budget if you're prepared to buy secondhand.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.