Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Low Light/High ISO

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314963 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
7 Aug 2012 - 11:33 PM

Quote: When I talk about high iso I was thinking off around 800, I could go much higher witht the OMD

I took a bunch of pictures today at 200 ISO, f8 and in a dimly lit room, shutter speed was down to something like 1/10 sec.

The IS did an amazing job.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Aug 2012 - 11:33 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014491 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
8 Aug 2012 - 2:49 AM

I try to keep the ISO down as much as I can, but I do have confidence in this camera, and as Paul says, the IS is amazing.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314963 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
8 Aug 2012 - 3:15 AM

I was using the 12-50 kit lens extended, although its pretty sharp, its also pretty slow @ f6.3, thanks to the IS I`ve been able to keep the ISO down.

Its going to be superb in churches and places were flash is not permitted.

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62435 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
8 Aug 2012 - 9:16 AM

A side issue is using a tripod when you can.
With a decent tripod you should be able to use at least 3-4 ISO speeds lower than hand holding; so fewer noise issues.

bppowell
bppowell  122124 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
8 Aug 2012 - 10:13 AM

Thanks, I rarely use a tripod, prefered the monopod for the ones I have done but as you say this does allow you to lower the speed.

The monopod gives me a lot more freedom of movement compared to a tripod.

Paul Morgan
8 Aug 2012 - 4:29 PM

What I`m really enjoying with the OM-D is the ability for the in body IS to behave like lens based IS.

I`ve now set this up so that when you half press the shutter as well as focusing the IS kicks in and you can see this working in the viewfinder.

This is fantastic, its effectively behaving like in lens IS, with any lens fitted, including my lensbabys and legacy lenses.

So far I`m managing 1 second hand held exposers with a 270mm equ telephoto.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 8 Aug 2012 - 4:30 PM
bppowell
bppowell  122124 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
8 Aug 2012 - 10:02 PM

Quote: So far I`m managing 1 second hand held exposers with a 270mm equ telephoto.

Your hands must be a lot steadier than mine Smile

Paul Morgan
8 Aug 2012 - 10:10 PM

I`d say that is pretty much the limit for me at this length.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73823 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
8 Aug 2012 - 10:10 PM

I have the Olympus Pen, and a D700, there is no comparison, the noise on the Olympus at ISO400 is far worse than the Nikon at 1600. I often use high iOS as I shoot a lot of monos, so noise doesn't bother me too much. To minimise as has been said , "shoot to the right", you will notice it in shadow areas. You can use noise reduction, and with care can get away with very high ISOs.

OldTom1
OldTom1  269 forum posts
8 Aug 2012 - 10:19 PM

Quote: I hate noise in my Images personally and If I can although it cannot be helped getting noise i will denoise with a software.
The highest i have shot with noise is ISO 3200 with wildlife, some may say that is way too much, but with a good lens and software for denoising colour noise is now history for me.
Saying that when i shoot weddings i would rather not have any noise to start with so i use flash guns with defusers and get creative or use a wide aperture lens say f1.4 or 1.8 for example.

some cameras can cope with noise and some can't.

I find my 5d mark ii full frame handles low light very well and you can pick them up now for around 1200.00.

You can't use flash in church or venues usually so need higher ISO, hence most of those shots appear as black and white.

Paul Morgan
8 Aug 2012 - 11:09 PM

Quote: I have the Olympus Pen, and a D700, there is no comparison, the noise on the Olympus at ISO400 is far worse than the Nikon at 1600

With a full frame camera v an early pen your going to see a fair difference Smile

Steppenwolf
9 Aug 2012 - 8:48 AM

Quote: I have the Olympus Pen, and a D700, there is no comparison, the noise on the Olympus at ISO400 is far worse than the Nikon at 1600.

The D700 has basically 4 times the sensor area of the Pen so you'd expect the Olympus at ISO400 to match the D700 at ISO1600. It's strange that it's "far worse".

Quote: I`ve now set this up so that when you half press the shutter as well as focusing the IS kicks in and you can see this working in the viewfinder.

Can you set up the IS on the Olympus to operate (when taking stills) when you half press the shutter? The Sony doesn't have this option. IS on the Sony in stills mode operates only during the exposure phase. In movie mode it operates all the time. Seeing the stabilisation in the VF when you're taking a movie is essential, but I'm not so sure about its value when taking stills - although it would be interesting to have the option. I like being able to see how steadily (or otherwise) I'm holding the camera so that I can correct it.

Paul Morgan
9 Aug 2012 - 1:12 PM

Quote: Can you set up the IS on the Olympus to operate (when taking stills) when you half press the shutter?

I thought I had already said, seems you can.

That bottom part of this review show some interesting noise comparisons

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/omd-em5/omd-em5A.HTM

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 9 Aug 2012 - 1:16 PM
Steppenwolf
9 Aug 2012 - 1:43 PM

Quote: Can you set up the IS on the Olympus to operate (when taking stills) when you half press the shutter?

I thought I had already said, seems you can.

What I meant was does it have both options - 1. IS only during the exposure, 2. IS when you half press the shutter. Or is it just that Olympus take the second option while Sony adopt the first.

Paul Morgan
9 Aug 2012 - 8:55 PM

Your given both choices

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.