Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

low light photography without flash or tripod

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    youmightlikethis
    youmightlikethis e2 Member 121020 forum postsyoumightlikethis vcard Scotland
    21 Mar 2012 - 6:30 AM

any hints on low light photography camera settings iso ect thinking of having another go down at sealife aquarium at lomond shores

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    21 Mar 2012 - 6:30 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chrism8
    Chrism8  7745 forum posts England14 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Mar 2012 - 7:17 AM

They tend to be quite dark places, so a medium ISO to freeze movement ( 400 - 800 min ) plus a rubber lens hood to help avoid reflections,

Chris

Andy_Cundell
    21 Mar 2012 - 8:26 AM

Also, keep the lens of your camera as close to parallel to the glass as possible, this will also aid in avoiding reflections.

Andy

Andy_Cundell
    21 Mar 2012 - 8:37 AM

Ohh LOLWink, I also forgot to say, take a rag to clean the glass/ tank side as well!Smile

NEWDIGIT
    NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
    21 Mar 2012 - 9:00 AM

iso 800 plus, aperture as wide as possible, manual focus (glass tank side can can fool auto),
    shutter speed to suit 125 ish, white balance to suit lighting, picture quality vivid.

snapbandit
    snapbandit  102205 forum posts Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Mar 2012 - 9:02 AM

wear dark /non reflective clothing, may sound daft but it is not always possible to avoid all reflections & dark clothing will show up less.

HTH

SlowSong
    SlowSong e2 Member 64543 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Mar 2012 - 11:41 AM

Quote: wear dark /non reflective clothing, may sound daft but it is not always possible to avoid all reflections & dark clothing will show up less.

That's a really good tip. I have to say it's not crossed my mind in the past. Smile

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82346 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Mar 2012 - 4:28 PM

I second the recommendation for a rubber lens hood. By placing this on the glass you can eliminate most reflections - even if using flash (I assume that flash isn't permitted from the title of this post)

RavenTepes
    21 Mar 2012 - 6:43 PM

A decent polarizing filter may not be a bad thing to reduce glare from the tank, in addition to the rubber hood.

rabthecab
    rabthecab  2 United Kingdom
    22 Mar 2012 - 1:56 AM

Quote: wear dark /non reflective clothing, may sound daft but it is not always possible to avoid all reflections & dark clothing will show up less. That's a really good tip. I have to say it's not crossed my mind in the past. Smile

In the same vein, when I was taking close-up photos of my fish tank I painted an A5 bit of cardboard black & cut an aperture for the camera lens, worked a treat.

Last Modified By rabthecab at 22 Mar 2012 - 1:58 AM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.