Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

low light photography without flash or tripod

21 Mar 2012 6:30AM
any hints on low light photography camera settings iso ect thinking of having another go down at sealife aquarium at lomond shores

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chrism8 e2
8 753 14 England
21 Mar 2012 7:17AM
They tend to be quite dark places, so a medium ISO to freeze movement ( 400 - 800 min ) plus a rubber lens hood to help avoid reflections,

Chris
Andy_Cundell e2
3 1.1k 5 England
21 Mar 2012 8:26AM
Also, keep the lens of your camera as close to parallel to the glass as possible, this will also aid in avoiding reflections.

Andy
Andy_Cundell e2
3 1.1k 5 England
21 Mar 2012 8:37AM
Ohh LOLWink, I also forgot to say, take a rag to clean the glass/ tank side as well!Smile
NEWDIGIT 3 401 United Kingdom
21 Mar 2012 9:00AM
iso 800 plus, aperture as wide as possible, manual focus (glass tank side can can fool auto),
shutter speed to suit 125 ish, white balance to suit lighting, picture quality vivid.
snapbandit e2
10 2.2k 3 Northern Ireland
21 Mar 2012 9:02AM
wear dark /non reflective clothing, may sound daft but it is not always possible to avoid all reflections & dark clothing will show up less.

HTH
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
21 Mar 2012 11:41AM

Quote:wear dark /non reflective clothing, may sound daft but it is not always possible to avoid all reflections & dark clothing will show up less.
That's a really good tip. I have to say it's not crossed my mind in the past. Smile
sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
21 Mar 2012 4:28PM
I second the recommendation for a rubber lens hood. By placing this on the glass you can eliminate most reflections - even if using flash (I assume that flash isn't permitted from the title of this post)
21 Mar 2012 6:43PM
A decent polarizing filter may not be a bad thing to reduce glare from the tank, in addition to the rubber hood.
22 Mar 2012 1:56AM

Quote:wear dark /non reflective clothing, may sound daft but it is not always possible to avoid all reflections & dark clothing will show up less. That's a really good tip. I have to say it's not crossed my mind in the past. Smile

In the same vein, when I was taking close-up photos of my fish tank I painted an A5 bit of cardboard black & cut an aperture for the camera lens, worked a treat.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.