Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Low light problems with Fuji S5000

dalowsons e2
10 89 Australia
5 Sep 2005 1:50PM
Hi all,

I am finding that when I take photos with my Fuji in low light (e.g. indoors, sunsets) even with the ISO set to 200, they come out very "grainy" and speckley (if that's a word ??).

Is this a limitation with the Fuji, or with digital, or just a problem with any type of photography ?

Please excuse my ignorance - any enlightenment would be appreciated Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sillyconguru 10 4.4k
5 Sep 2005 1:55PM
Noisy is the term. Yes, it does that :-(

But, it's not alone...

This was shot at 200 ISO (view at 100%).
andytvcams e2
12 10.4k United Kingdom
5 Sep 2005 1:57PM
Should not be that bad,could you post us an example?.
dalowsons e2
10 89 Australia
5 Sep 2005 2:10PM
Thanks guys ...

THIS

is a prime example and the photo I'm having problems with at the moment - this is just a section of the photo !
dalowsons e2
10 89 Australia
5 Sep 2005 2:13PM
Sillyconguru ... I see your problem, but with your pic it's quite fine grain ... with mine it's very rough and pixelated Sad
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
5 Sep 2005 2:32PM
The Fuji's tend to do that, it could be a product of the pixel layout or the underlying technology. They tend to do that more than other brands IMHO. Mind you you have zoomed in a bit have you not. How does it look printed at say A4 size.

This site should let you compare images from similar cameras. I think the photo's show the issue you are talking about. In comparison the Canon S1 shows much less noise. We tested the two cameras back to back and found the same.

Can you run it at lower ISO? The canon is good at ISO 50 and 100 but falls off rapidly as you go higher.
sillyconguru 10 4.4k
5 Sep 2005 2:34PM
As John said, Fujis do that, especially the S5000 (I have one, and it does).

You can see the artifacts here .
dalowsons e2
10 89 Australia
5 Sep 2005 2:48PM
Thanks so much for the replies - it's nice to know that it's not just something I'm doing wrong ! Strawman, 200 ISO is the lowest the Fuji S500 has.

Thanks for the links, Sillyconguru - very interesting !

I guess I will just have to ensure that I'm shooting in adequate light until I can afford the Canon that I'm going to buy one day Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.