Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Low Resolution?Help please

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Maccas
    Maccas  4
    21 Nov 2010 - 10:33 AM

Hi all,im abit confused.Iwas going to send some pics away to be printed by Dscl,but it came up that the resolution was too low.I save my pics at 72 resolution for the web and they are saying they need to be at least 300.I spoke to a friend yesterday who said i need to re-edit the original raw image and save at 300.Ok i can understand this but i thought i would try and just re-size the 72 image in photoshop to 300 resolution and size 8x6 and print.I have a Canon mp550 and the print came out fine to what i can see anyway.What i would like to know is will the print be that much better re-edited and sent to DSCL?.I will probably send some away just to satify my own curiosity.Sorry its all abit long winded but would like to know where im going wrong,any advice much appreciated.

Thankyou Ian

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    21 Nov 2010 - 10:33 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Bluke
    Bluke  9303 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Nov 2010 - 10:43 AM

Maccas you can't get pics printed at 72 res as that size is only for web pics.....Start your pics again and save them at 300 res.. and 8x6 if thats the size you want them....

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318434 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Nov 2010 - 10:49 AM

The 72ppi and 300ppi is the number of pixels displayed in an inch (pixels per inch) sometimes wrongly written as dpi (dots per inch) Your photo has a certain number of pixels on it's length and height. Let's for ease so it's 1000 pixels. So the file will not change if you display those 1000 pixels at 72per inch or 300 per inch.

When you view on screen the 1000 pixels are displayed at 72ppi so they are spread further and the picture looks bigger 1000/72 = 13.89in but when the printer who uses 300ppi is asked to print at the same size he cant because the pixels are compressed 1000 /300 = 3.33in

If you resample you can make the picture big enough and high enough resolution but the quality will be poor because resampling adds pixels to the file that are missing. The quality can sometime be okay which is what you're seeing on your print. But the printing company is just covering their back because most people would complain and expect a refund if the resampled quality wasn't very good.

Hope that helps

User_Removed
    21 Nov 2010 - 11:46 AM

You need to send them an image of 2400x1800px.

If they say anything else, don't use dscl. - If they are restricting uploads on the resolution metadata they are clueless.

miptog
    miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Nov 2010 - 11:57 AM

Pete's advice above really sums it up. Bottom line is to re-edit and save as 300ppi.

Maccas
    Maccas  4
    21 Nov 2010 - 1:47 PM

Thanks all for your help.What im going to do is re size the original saved pic in photoshop and send to dscl,just to see what the quality of the image looks like.I have just printed one off on my printer and the image looks ok.Maybe this is because the pic is just an 8x6 any larger then the image might not look so good,as was said by Pete.
    Just to let you know how i re-sized,correct me if im wrong.
    Click on image,then image size.Document size,change to 300 Res,Height 6 inches,Width 8.48 inches. Pixel dimension 13.1M
    Width 2546 pixels,Height 1800 pixels.

GlennH
    GlennH  91894 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Nov 2010 - 2:24 PM

Unless I've missed something (always possible), you haven't said what the original dimensions of the image were. If you've resampled that up from a web-sized photo, you'll likely end up with an inferior looking print. You need to start with the native-sized file, ideally, if you haven't already done that.

The 72ppi measurement is utterly meaningless in photography. The actual size of your photo onscreen is dictated by a combination of the pixel dimensions of the image (i.e. 2546 x 1800 pixels), and the pixel/dot pitch of your monitor - the physical dimension allocated to each pixel. Laptop screens often have a density of around 130ppi.

User_Removed
    21 Nov 2010 - 2:28 PM

Quote: When you view on screen the 1000 pixels are displayed at 72ppi

Is totally false. This isn't 1980. There hasn't been a 72ppi terminal monitor for a long while now. In any case the whole "72" number comes text size computation in 'logical inches', those aren't even real, its just very convenient to think of them as "real".

GlennH's above post is true.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 21 Nov 2010 - 2:34 PM
    Bluke
    Bluke  9303 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Nov 2010 - 2:47 PM

Sorry about wording my advice wrong.... I ment to say its not advisable to get pics printed at 72 dpi as the quality might not be very good depending on the size of the photo .........
    First time on the forum since I have been back .. " must keep my mouth shut in future."...Sad

User_Removed
    21 Nov 2010 - 2:58 PM

Quote: I ment to say its not advisable to get pics printed at 72 dpi as the quality might not be very good depending on the size of the photo

That is good advice!

Remember that correct viewing distance should also be accounted for and also will determine an acceptable maximum print size even if at a lower dpi.

No point printing a 300dpi print if its for viewing 20 meters away.

A professional printer should inform you about this and factor in other properties shot was taken at.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.