Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lumix TZ25 Compact image size?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Mozzytheboy
    Mozzytheboy e2 Member 3550 forum postsMozzytheboy vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Dec 2012 - 11:04 AM

I'll probably end up sighing over my own inability to grasp the plot, but when I take an image on manual settings, well any settings and select 12M for my image size I get only 4.9 to 5MB showing when I right click image and use the 'get info' facility on my Apple Mac. This is confusing me greatly because when I take a shot with my Canon 500D using large or RAW the same procedure shows a MUCH higher number.

Clearly my question is am I getting the 12M size on this setting with this Lumix? 4000 x 3000 is image size when I check image size in Photoshop Elements image size. Which I'll admit 4 x 3 = 12 is 12 as it is set so how come it only shows as a 5MB image on the get info facility. Grrr, I'm going nuts with this. It does not (In my humble) stand mega zooming in where as my Canon does.

HELP please with this conundrum Sad

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    4 Dec 2012 - 11:04 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Umberto_Vanni
    Umberto_Vanni e2 Member 9359 forum postsUmberto_Vanni vcard Scotland
    4 Dec 2012 - 11:24 AM

Does the TZ25 do RAW? If not then this would explain it. JPEG files will be smaller than RAW files.

Mozzytheboy
    Mozzytheboy e2 Member 3550 forum postsMozzytheboy vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Dec 2012 - 11:36 AM

No this model does not. I have it set at 12M though but at best am only seeing a 5MB total value.

redhed17
    redhed17  8652 forum posts England
    4 Dec 2012 - 11:44 AM

12mp doesn't equate to a 12mb file size. Image size and file sizes differ because of Jpeg compression algorithms amongst other things. Some cameras start with more information before Jpeg compression.

As long as the pixel dimensions are correct, and you have it on your highest Jpeg quality setting, you're getting the best image out of your camera. (RAW capture aside, which most cameras don't have, and so may not be an option, and the user may not want to use anyway)

Mozzytheboy
    4 Dec 2012 - 11:57 AM

Oh I see. Thank you.

Niknut
    Niknut e2 Member 4562 forum postsNiknut vcard United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Dec 2012 - 5:41 PM

Just a thought ??......have you got the JPEG quality set to it's 'High' or 'Fine' level ??.....'Medium' or 'Low' will give lower quality, more
    shots on the memory-card, & smaller output file sizes...........whereas the 'Fine' quality level gives max. file sizes, best image quality, but
    less shots per card !

I would have expected between 5 & 10 mb from 12 MGPX.......but this depends on how much detail is in the image too...highly detailed
    shots bump up the file size, whereas lots of plain areas like a blank sky would give smaller file sizes ??......lots of variations to consider ??

Dunno whether that helps any ???....regards....Keith.Smile

Last Modified By Niknut at 4 Dec 2012 - 5:47 PM
    Mozzytheboy
    4 Dec 2012 - 5:50 PM

It does Keith for sure! I had not considered the amount of detail would as you say 'bump' it up potentially. I have it set at the best of the best of the best it will do; I prefer this so I can reduce when saving from PS etc.

Oh thank you too!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.