Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

M 4/3

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Nick_Hilton
12 Feb 2013 - 8:08 PM

A few years ago I bought a Sony NEX 3 kit and also a 30mm Sigma 1.4. I have never really been happy with it and found it fiddly and was thinking of changing it for an Olympus PEN even a PL1.
What do people think?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Feb 2013 - 8:08 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
12 Feb 2013 - 8:26 PM

Try here Nick...

Loads going on.

Wink

Nick_Hilton
12 Feb 2013 - 8:27 PM

Mike,
A link from Focus 2006 Sad

User_Removed
12 Feb 2013 - 9:02 PM

So. Read the rest... there are numerous threads on-going about the subject that are right up to date Nick...

Seek from that offered - and ye shall find.

(I have an E-P1 and an E-PM2... and like a lot of people, can't remember the last time I picked up my dSLR. Wink )

Last Modified By User_Removed at 12 Feb 2013 - 9:04 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315631 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2013 - 12:31 AM

Quote: changing it for an Olympus PEN even a PL1

The EPL1 has long since been replaced are you interested in later models.

There is also a group here

http://www.ephotozine.com/groups/micro-four-thirds-764

And a thread here for the OMD, although its not the friendliest for asking questions.

http://www.ephotozine.com/forums/topic/olympus-om-d-em-5-discussion-95570

Nick_Hilton
13 Feb 2013 - 10:54 AM

Paul thanks

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2013 - 11:30 AM

Quote: I bought a Sony NEX 3 kit and also a 30mm Sigma 1.4. I have never really been happy with it and found it fiddly

Why exactly did you find it fiddly? It may be wise to actually handle some M4/3 cameras before you buy them.

The Olympus OM-D is not fiddly, although some people prefer to use a grip with it.

Nick_Hilton
13 Feb 2013 - 12:22 PM

I always found the camera menu system difficult and not quickly accessed. I am happy to hace and older model as its just a walk around point and shoot.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2013 - 12:27 PM

Quote: I am happy to hace and older model as its just a walk around point and shoot.

The problem (if it is a problem!) is once you have a CSC you get on with (clearly not the Sony NEX), you may well find that your DSLR starts to gather dust. Many have found this, and even ended up selling their DSLR kit.

So it may be worth a little future-proofing! Wink

Nick_Hilton
13 Feb 2013 - 2:57 PM

Well I hope I won't get on that well with it as just bought a D800 !

Carabosse
13 Feb 2013 - 3:08 PM

Oh dear! Lol! Grin

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315631 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2013 - 6:12 PM

Quote: I always found the camera menu system difficult and not quickly accessed. I am happy to hace and older model as its just a walk around point and shoot

In that case one of these should fit the bill.

http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/6340/Olympus-PEN-E-PM1-Black-with-14-42mm-II-R-...

Nick_Hilton
13 Feb 2013 - 6:15 PM

Paul
Thanks for the link

Paul Morgan
13 Feb 2013 - 6:19 PM

The new EPM2 is a lot better, but its also a lot dearer.

pablophotographer

I've always found NEX system awkward as a design, too thin body, too big lens compared with the camera body. I used it once to take a few of shots of people and it felt nicer than I thought it would. But still, it didn't tempt me. I think you will be better off with Olympus. lighter lenses, better balance maybe? Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.