Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

M4/3 must-have lenses

Paul Morgan Plus
14 16.8k 6 England
19 Aug 2014 4:16AM

Quote:The cheapest price I can see for the Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 is 599 - that's from DigitalRev, who I know used to be on eBay and am certain they ship from overseas; I never ever used them, anyone got any feedback on them? I want to avoid paying rip-off Britain prices if possible.

I looked for Kerso on eBay but he hasn't got anything for sale and hasn't for a couple of months

What Canon lenses do you already have, you could always pick up an adapter, some are pretty good these days, the Kipon adapters are good for L lenses, there are also adapters that I have seen on Amazon for EF.

Not the most perfect of solutions I know but if your into video as well there just perfect and at least adapter can get you kick started without the outlay in new glass.

Philip Bloom has a pretty good review here, check out his video test near the bottom.

http://philipbloom.net/2010/12/17/ne-adaptor-for-using-you-canon-eos-lenses-on-gh1-gh2-af101/

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chris_L Plus
1 1.9k United Kingdom
19 Aug 2014 4:27AM
Thanks Paul, but I've no real wish to use the Canon lenses on the gx7, even as a stop-gap. I realise anything is better than nothing, but I've got the 20 f1.7 and I will get the free zoom soon and if I'm out with my gx7 I'll be travelling light. If I need to I've Canon bodies anyway.
Chris_L Plus
1 1.9k United Kingdom
19 Aug 2014 5:49PM
Have been flip-flopping terribly. One minute going to get a 12-35, the next a 12-50 (or was it a 40) I can't remember.

I've done loads of soul searching and I know that if I buy an expensive 12-35 it will be welded on to the camera. I've bought primes before then never used them.

I want to change the way I take photographs so I'm going to just buy primes. For the price of the zoom I figured I could get 2 or 3 really decent primes.

Have bit the bullet and gone for this 12mm (hope that's the one people mean) and this 45 which I'm sure is the 'right' one

I got silver, wonder if I should have got black, is the Olympus and Panasonic silver that much different that it might look odd?
Coast Plus
7 1.6k 292 United Kingdom
19 Aug 2014 6:54PM
Can't comment on the Oly/Pan silver match but good call on the lenses. The 12mm is the lens on my list when funds allow. Used one on the Olympus day in Chester and it is a lovely lens. Got some great shots and sharpness corner to corner is impressive.

Equally the 45mm f1.8. Is a lens I own. Again a first class lens with sharp IQ and a useful medium telephoto with an out of focus area nicely rendered at the wider apertures. Ideal for portraits.

I have done the same as you plan to and shoot differently on the MFT using the primes and giving more consideration to positioning and subsequent composition. My Canon kit apart from a 50mm f1.4 and 100mm f2.8 macro is completed with three zooms; the 16-35mm f2.8, the 24-105mm f4 IS and the 70-200mm f2.8 IS. All great lenses but shooting with a prime does make me at least more considerate rather than using a zoom to procrastinate in angle of view from shooting position taken.

I hope you enjoy the prime experience as much as I am and I'm pretty sure you'll love the lenses. With a silver/black GX7 you have the best of both worlds aesthetically as I think the silver or black lenses work well on the two tone bodies whereas the single black bodies really don't suit the silver lenses in my opinion and are better with black lenses. Plus the 12mm in black is a special edition that for some ridiculous reason costs about 300 more than the same lens in silver. Part of the reason I haven't got it yet as it sticks in my throat to pay a premium when I want black lenses for my black bodied OM10 Sad I've been tipped off they are going to release it in black as a standard edition later this year at the same price as the silver version so I'm playing a waiting game and saving for it in readiness Grin

Paul
Paul Morgan Plus
14 16.8k 6 England
19 Aug 2014 10:50PM

Quote:Have been flip-flopping terribly. One minute going to get a 12-35, the next a 12-50 (or was it a 40) I can't remember.

I've done loads of soul searching and I know that if I buy an expensive 12-35 it will be welded on to the camera. I've bought primes before then never used them.

I want to change the way I take photographs so I'm going to just buy primes. For the price of the zoom I figured I could get 2 or 3 really decent primes.

Have bit the bullet and gone for this 12mm (hope that's the one people mean) and this 45 which I'm sure is the 'right' one

I got silver, wonder if I should have got black, is the Olympus and Panasonic silver that much different that it might look odd?

Silver/black all go well together Smile

I have a silver EM5 and a mixture of silver/black lenses and they all look good.

Your going to enjoy that 12 and 45mm and that 25 credit will come in handy.

The 12-50mm is good value with some nice features but its not quite in the same league as the 12-35mm.
Chris_L Plus
1 1.9k United Kingdom
19 Aug 2014 11:17PM
Didn't know about a credit, will have to look into that? I'm not looking forward to credit card bill next month; incentivised to have a clear out. I've got a 1D2, which never gets used and a 10D, due to the very small screens on the back of these they sell for pittances and it feels like they are worth more to me to keep, will have to be ruthless though.
Andy_Curtis 1 593 United Kingdom
20 Aug 2014 12:59PM
I am quite desperate for the 17mm f1.8. but that may have to wait till I am in Florida next year as it is cheaper over there Wink
Till then. I will invest in the pani 45-200mm... Maybe
mikehit Plus
5 7.7k 12 United Kingdom
20 Aug 2014 1:08PM
I think the 45-200 is a much-underrated lens (including by myself until quite recently) and MPB recently had a few at an attractive price.
20 Aug 2014 1:32PM
It seems to be the lens that will most suit my needs. At least till the 40-150mm Pro from oly is released Wink
I shall keep an eye out and hunt for the best price. Even used will be fine.
Coast Plus
20 Aug 2014 3:05PM
I bought my 45-200mm Lumix lens from EBay. Lightly used, boxed and in mint condition. I got it for 180 including postage.

It is a great lens and very small compared to DSLR versions for such a long reaching lens. The max aperture at f5.6 isnt a problem although ideally I'd like the 300mm f4 when it gets released. Quality of image is very good with a slight softening at the edges at the widest apertures. The lens is light too but robust enough and will slip into a coat pocket when I want to travel light and out with the OMD with a smaller prime or the 14-42mm attached.

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to sell the lens on if I do get the 40-150 pro lens or the 300mm f4 once they are available and get most of what I paid for it. Grin
20 Aug 2014 3:11PM
Well I only want it to keep me going till the Pro telephoto's are released. Then I shall be parting with a large amount onf cash to get the 40-150mm.

I just want something with good reach for zoo's and when I am out in nature. If it can produce a good, sharp image at the center, on static/slow moving subjects at the telephoto end, then I am happy. I currently use my GF's 40-150mm R lens while she is unwell. As soon as she is healthy again I will need to get my own zoom.

So open to suggestions. And money is a constraint at the moment Sad
Chris_L Plus
1 1.9k United Kingdom
20 Aug 2014 3:14PM
Hey you know why it's called Amazon Prime, cos you press a button last night and this morning you get new Primes!!!

Absolutely blown away by the whole system now that I've got decent lenses. It easily rivals my 5D2 with L. It sits on the windowsill ready to shoot. It fits in my coat pocket.

I was AMAZED at the size of the box from Amazon, it was about the size of the box you get the 24-105 in. Inside it were two tiny boxes and a load of brown paper packing. These tiny little lenses!! It's like going from O gauge to N gauge.

Sorry if I sound like a kid with a new toy, I am, I totally am!!!

Have put full size of these in my pf for anyone who is interested. These are the bees' knees. When compared to equivalent Canon or Nikon body with lenses this system is an absolute bargain.

12mm f2 (24 equiv)

p1120172-new-primes.jpg

45mm f1.8 (90 equiv)

p1120191-new-primes.jpg

Coast Plus
20 Aug 2014 3:20PM
Coast Plus
20 Aug 2014 3:22PM
@ Chris

Little chuckle to self.... Well you were warned Grin

Clearly your socks have been well and truly blown off as I suspected. These dinky little primes are addictive as they return shockingly sharp IQ.

I can see you checking out the 75mm f1.8 M.Zuiko lens next! Of course you might even get swayed to look at the 17mm f1.8 too which is fast becoming my favourite lens. Makes the 20mm somewhat redundant so I need to get mine on EBay and that'll help swell the 12mm fund.

Paul
Coast Plus
20 Aug 2014 3:26PM
@ Andy

Or this.

On buy it now and may take an offer to knock a fiver off.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic-Lumix-45-200mm-f-4-0-5-6-Lens-100-days-seller-warranty-/231300618426?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item35da9758ba

Either if these you'll get 12 months fun out of and then sell on for next to no loss.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.