Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

M43 Tamron

24 Jul 2014 11:01AM
Are we going to get a review of the new Tamron 14-150 M43 lens?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

joshwa e2
4 710 United Kingdom
24 Jul 2014 11:07AM
Hi Bobbie, yes as soon as it is available, thanks Josh
8 Aug 2014 4:40PM
I'm holding my breath. Really hope this lens succeeds! It's right up there on my wish list.
8 Aug 2014 7:51PM
Well I bought one. Not had time to use it yet. 1st impressions are good. I'll let you know
dcash29 e2
9 2.0k England
8 Aug 2014 11:24PM

Quote:Not had time to use it yet. 1st impressions are good. I'll let you know

What Good paint job and clear looking glass?
steve_p e2
9 1.1k England
9 Aug 2014 5:18PM
Why wait for the Tamron? I've taken superbly detailed and sharp pictures at my daughter's wedding and on Holiday in Sorrento with the Panasonic 14-140 !
I will post some next wk when I get back.
9 Aug 2014 5:22PM

Quote:Why wait for the Tamron? I've taken superbly detailed and sharp pictures at my daughter's wedding and on Holiday in Sorrento with the Panasonic 14-140 !
I will post some next wk when I get back.

The Tamron is cheaper than the f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic, and Olympus OM-D users really have no use for that lens's optical iamge stabilization. If the Tamron turns out to be a good lens, it will probably be the best superzoom choice for OM-D and high-end PEN users.
More importantly, this is the first third-party zoom for Micro Four Thirds. I want it to succeed, and I believe other MFT shooters do too, simply to lure Tamron, Sigma and Tokina to produce high-end lenses for the system.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
9 Aug 2014 6:52PM
Is it possible to produce a high end 14-150mm lens? Not being facetious.Wink Seriously, I do nature/wildlife photography, and I can see almost no situation where I would want that lens on my camera, as opposed to say, a 150mm, or a 100mm prime, of much better quality. Where would one require a range of 14-150mm? Maybe for walk about if one didn't want to ever change lenses, I suppose. I'd much rather see companies develop what we really need for M4/3, like fast medium telephoto at an affordable price, that's what's lacking. As has been mentioned above, there already exists good lenses in the focal range of the 14-150mm.
9 Aug 2014 6:59PM

Quote:Is it possible to produce a high end 14-150mm lens? Not being facetious.Wink

You didn't understand my point... I'm not saying the 14-150mm is a high-end lens. What I meant was, if this lens succeeds, the third-party lens makers may finally be tempted to produce high-end lenses.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
9 Aug 2014 7:02PM
I edited my comments while you were replying.
9 Aug 2014 7:10PM

Quote:Is it possible to produce a high end 14-150mm lens? Not being facetious.Wink Seriously, I do nature/wildlife photography, and I can see almost no situation where I would want that lens on my camera, as opposed to say, a 150mm, or a 100mm prime, of much better quality. Where would one require a range of 14-150mm? Maybe for walk about if one didn't want to ever change lenses, I suppose. I'd much rather see companies develop what we really need for M4/3, like fast medium telephoto at an affordable price, that's what's lacking. As has been mentioned above, there already exists good lenses in the focal range of the 14-150mm.

Good superzoom lenses are great for traveling with just one lens. I love shooting with my 25mm, and I'm sure I would've enjoyed a primes-only kit for most of my photography, but for some purposes it just isn't practical for me, and apparently for many others as well.

I guess what I really want, is a "Micro" version of the Four Thirds Olympus 12-60mm f/2.8-4, or something close to it (because a lens of these specifications will probably be big for MFT). That would be my ideal travel companion. Sigma has an excellent 17-70mm f/2.8-4 lens for APS-C DSLRs, and an even better 24-105mm f/4 for 35mm full frame DSLRs - that's the kind of thing I'm looking for.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
9 Aug 2014 7:41PM
I understand your point. I was just looking through the available Micro Four Thirds lens stable on Bhphorovideo.com; they usually have an up-to-date view of things with lots of customer reviews, which I like to browse. One of our members on here gave the Olympus 14-150mm very high marks indeed, and he was quite taken with it, and would probably be into the same type of photography as you. Looking at the specs of the Olympus 14-150mm, one use I might get out of it is close-up for medium to large insect photography, butterflies, dragonflies, etc. I use a Panasonic 100-300mm on an E-M5 for that now, and it works well as long as I stay away from using either extreme of focal length.

Here's my take on Tamron; they make one of the most popular macro/portrait lenses in the world. I bought one when I was using Nikon or Canon, can't remember; the lens is the Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro, used by many on here. I didn't like it, it felt flimsy to me, and I've learnt in the years since that macro is not a strong point of mine. The shop wouldn't take the lens back, but I found a flaw, and they had to refund my money. The 90mm f2.8 is only f2.9. The shop ridiculed me for pointing out such a petty little thing on a much beloved lens. I wanted my money back and claimed false advertising. I'm like that.Blush
9 Aug 2014 7:54PM
A point for me to go for the Tamron 14-150mm instead of the Olympus, is that I have a few 52mm filters. The Tamron's filter thread diameter is 52mm, while the Oly's is 58mm. Though at some point I should probably get bigger filters anyway - at some point I will probably buy a lens with a bigger filter thread and want to put a polarizer or an ND on it (so far I've never been in a situation in which I wanted to use a filter on my Oly 75-300mm).
dcash29 e2
9 2.0k England
10 Aug 2014 8:56AM
In my opinion manufacturers realise people want more convenient zoom ranges and would be happy with one lens and that's the issue. They want you to purchase more than one lens, they want your money. If that isn't the case and the lenses cannot be produced for one reason or another, prove it. I'm not sure if a good 10-50 for APS or a 7-38 for M43 is feasible but if i had either i wouldn't really want another lens.
I visited Amsterdam recently and it poured down the majority of the time, I took a 10-20 and 16-85 APS. I used the 10-20 twice after which I left the 16-85 on as i couldn't be bothered fiddling about in the rain. For me 28mm is a waste of time, swapping and carrying lenses gets on my nerves at times.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
10 Aug 2014 9:05AM
I have the very under-rated Olympus 12-50mm, which is water and dust resistant, as is the E-M5 I use it on. It is a very good video lens, quiet power zooming In and out, can't hear it in the mikes Also has a macro/close-up mode which works a treat. A good combination in weather.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.