Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Mac book odd behaviour

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Graywolf
    Graywolf  6964 forum posts United Kingdom
    6 May 2011 - 8:42 PM

I leave my Mac book pro on charge all the time. From what I've read people seem to think that ths is OK.
    Last night I switched it off. I have just switched it back on (24 hours later) and noticed that the battery icon said not charging, which was odd as the green light on the magsafe was glowing. I unplugged the magsafe, left it for a few moments and on plugging it back in it glowed orange and the battery icon showed 2% and charging. It's now up to 17%, If anyone has an explanation for this I would be grateful,

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    6 May 2011 - 8:42 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Graywolf
    6 May 2011 - 10:04 PM

What was so puzzling was that the battery had been on charge all night yet seems to have discharged down to 2%.

cantona43
    cantona43  8851 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
    6 May 2011 - 10:13 PM

was anything running in the background?

Graywolf
    6 May 2011 - 10:17 PM

No I'd switched it off and the magsafe was plugged in and charging. It was almost as if the magsafe had discharged the battery overnight.

lawbert
    lawbert  71641 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
    6 May 2011 - 10:19 PM

My lads macbook done exactly the same....If its under warranty then get your cash back....if not be prepared to admit you bought a monkey...apple have the worst customer service in the world.Wink

dlegros
    dlegros  11217 forum posts England
    6 May 2011 - 10:37 PM

Quote: My lads macbook done exactly the same....If its under warranty then get your cash back....if not be prepared to admit you bought a monkey...apple have the worst customer service in the world.Wink

Really?

Must have been a fluke when I took my MacBook Pro in with a dodgy display panel - one look and a new panel was ordered and fitted next day.

A workmate dropped his iPod Nano (1g) and it just showed the unhappy iPod logo - walked out of the store with a new unit and an apology for the inconvenience

MeanGreeny
    6 May 2011 - 10:58 PM

My Nano wouldn't work - just froze solid. I tried everything, resets, charging, switching off, on etc etc.

Found remarkably similar stories all over the internet for that particular model of Nano [I forget which generation] and met the infamous Apple customer service blank wall.

About the only worst customer service than Apple is Sony - they're in a class of their own.

cameracat
    cameracat  108575 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    6 May 2011 - 11:39 PM

Quote: Must have been a fluke when I took my MacBook Pro in with a dodgy display panel

So what happened to all that " Macs are wonderful " They are so good they never go wrong " They are made from the finest components known to man " ...??? What a load of rubbish....Sad

Back to the OP, Some laptop devices ( Macbooks may be the same ) can and do perform a battery " Ritual " that involves a slow discharge, Followed by a full re-charge, This often happens in two circumstances.....!!!

First one is when a new battery is fitted......Grin

Second one is when a battery becomes potentially faulty.....Smile

From your description I'd say your problem is battery related, But if your using it on mains all the time you may not notice, Try running it on battery for a while, Make note of how long it lasts before needing a recharge, My guess is it will not hold a charge as long as a new battery and may very well expire sometime soon......Sad

If your lucky one of the drones at your local " Apple Chapel " will fit you up with a new battery.....Grin

Though they might want to extract cash for so doing.....Wink

dlegros
    dlegros  11217 forum posts England
    7 May 2011 - 12:52 AM

And again things descend into a pi$$ing war.

As you were quoting me - can you point me to the posts where I have said:

Quote: " Macs are wonderful " They are so good they never go wrong " They are made from the finest components known to man "

?

I doubt it as I have never said anything like that, I believe in "horses for courses".

I choose to use Macs for my own reasons, and stay out of all the Mac/PC debates, same with the Nikon/Canon/whatever bull.

lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013937 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    7 May 2011 - 7:52 AM

Quote: apple have the worst customer service in the world.Wink

Really?? All the Apple owners I know have always been impressed with the service from the Apple store. Mostly they seem to swap faulty stuff for new without any hassle.

redsnappa
    redsnappa  111880 forum posts United Kingdom
    7 May 2011 - 8:22 AM

The Apple store in Birmingham charged my neice 250 to replace a hard drive (that cost 50) in her iMac. They could not even be bothered to put the os back on after charging that sky high price.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.