Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Mac to Pc images created in photoshop

10 Oct 2012 9:03AM
I appear to be having a problem with images that have been created/edited in Elements 9 ON MY iMAC!,
when you try and open on a PC.
The camera club computer is a PC linked to a projector for digital image viewing, and they have the same problem.

However, images edited on a PC Elements 9, will open up on the Mac!

And, also images edited using iPhoto ON MAC, will open on a PC!

Is this a common problem? Is it me or what?

Regards,Mike Tuska

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jonnymyles 2 57 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2012 9:07AM
I have no problem with the full version of photoshop going between the two, what file format are you saving the images in?
sut68 11 2.0k 76 England
10 Oct 2012 9:13AM
The images probably aren't not be saved in a cross-platform format - JPEG, TIFF etc., any other file type/extension will probably be only native to the application that saved them.
10 Oct 2012 9:36AM
Saving them as jpeg
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2012 9:57AM
If I recall correctly, you have PC emulators on mac machines but don't have mac emulators on PC machines which may be why you can open PC files on the mac.

This link has some suggestions (I googled "opening jpeg from mac on pc"):

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/1694443#forum-post-19365360

Quote:I know PS Elements had that problem, and I started using "Save for Web" because of it...

Quote:i have had problems burning jpgs in a folder on a cd, pcs at camera stores sometimes can't read 'pccompatible' cds burnt from a mac with subdirectories - make sure the jpgs are sitting in the main directory on the cd, not in a sub folder
10 Oct 2012 10:20AM
I use Mac and have regularly handed in jpegs to be projected from a PC at our photoclub, the oldest in the world here at Leeds.
So I believe it's your saving format that's going wrong somewhere, do your files have a jpg extension eg Flower.jpg that's the first thing
to check.

Tim
lemmy 7 2.0k United Kingdom
10 Oct 2012 12:11PM

Quote:which may be why you can open PC files on the mac

Jpg is a cross platform standard. It is designed to and does work seamlessly on any machine without simulation or any other kludge. Assuming your storage is formatted to a mutually readable standard, probably fat32, there has to be a problem with the way you are saving the files on Elements.

If you save a .txt file on the Mac, will the PC read it? Will the PC read 'tif files from the Mac Elements? Go though every aspect of the 'save as' dialog and make sure there is nothing untoward there. I don't have Elemenst but could you be saving layers with the 'jpg? That stymies many programs.
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2012 12:50PM
Michael are you sure it's a real iMac? According to the Mac people I know Mac's just work. Problems don't occur. Get the camera club to invest in an Apple projector.
mdpontin 10 6.0k Scotland
10 Oct 2012 12:54PM
Check your file extensions. Both .jpg and .jpeg are valid on the Mac. I don't know whether or not that's the case on Windows. There's certainly no reason in principle why there should be a problem with JPEGs cross-platform.
10 Oct 2012 1:00PM
Both valid on Windows too
10 Oct 2012 1:28PM

Quote:Check your file extensions. Both .jpg and .jpeg are valid on the Mac. I don't know whether or not that's the case on Windows. There's certainly no reason in principle why there should be a problem with JPEGs cross-platform.

All file extensions of jpg, jpeg and the many others are valid on PC. As are jpgs embedded in tif.

I doubt that any extensions are not 'valid' on PC, Linux or Mac. It is just a matter of having the software to interpret them correctly.
10 Oct 2012 1:36PM
Thanks everyone;

I have been experimenting as you have suggested and, possibly, I may have been using images already edited elsewhere from raw and saved as tiff then for reasons that the digital images are reqd.in jpeg format for the computer projector, changed back to jpeg.

When taking an untouched jpg from the camera or library, then edited and saved in jpg it appears to work.

Hoping I have sorted
thanks,
I will be back if it persists.
10 Oct 2012 2:50PM

Quote:changed back to jpeg.

I'm guessing by just going on your Mac and changing the file extension? Grin
10 Oct 2012 3:37PM
All's well that ends well.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.