Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

mac vs pc

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jun 2010 - 10:00 PM

PMSL, I really do wish you would come off the fence Chris & say what you think on these matters.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Jun 2010 - 10:00 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
28 Jun 2010 - 10:46 PM

Ah Well.

Got my "proper" version of Lightroom 3 Upgrade today in the post. For the past three weeks I have been using the version downloaded from the Adobe website, so today I was able to enter the serial number and make it permanent.

But, on the packaging are the "System Requirements", which I hadn't bothered looking at closely when I downloaded the trial.

Unlike the previous two versions of Lightroom, the latest version will only work on PCs and on Macs with Intel processors. That cuts out a load of earlier Macs.

So presumably Adobe will bring in the same constraint on their next versions of Photoshop and Elements. Looks like they are definitely going down the PC route for the future.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jun 2010 - 7:01 AM

Quote: Looks like they are definitely going down the PC route for the future.

Not really - just means its not worth bothering building a different version for the old Macs, i should think most Mac users are on intel chipsets these days anyway (the old ones are just sooo unfashionable!)

Photogeek
Photogeek  9605 forum posts Wales6 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jun 2010 - 11:26 AM

Quote: i should think most Mac users are on Intel chipsets these days anyway (the old ones are just sooo unfashionable!)

I'm not . . . Mac G5 Power PC . . . And not upgrading . . . Intel Macs aren't proper macs Wink . . . If I want an Intel computer, I'll use a windows one . . . or Linux (and do Grin) . . . But yes I can fully understand Adobe dropping support for older non Intel macs from the product line . . . Look what happened to MAC OS when Apple 'retired' legacy code . . . the OS shrunk by 50%

ellis rowell
9 Jul 2010 - 2:08 PM

It's very interesting, this argument about Mac vs PC. I run a Computer User Group which started in 1988 as a Sinclair QL sub-group. We've all moved on from that. There has been this argument raging since we first started. I work for a few weeks in the year for Cambridge University Examinations Board, and I find that although the students use PC's (probably cost affects this) many Academics use Macs. They are probably conversant with both.

With the present Government needing the save our money by cutting services, I feel that it is time they seriously considered how much is being paid to Microsoft (and it's "Partners" ) each year for software, when they could follow the French lead by changing their OS to the free Linux system (the French Gendarmerie are replacing Windows with Linux as the computers need replacing (this takes place over several years and is expected to save 70,000,000 Euro's per year). That's probably around 50,000,000 of our money which could be saved and probably more.

Last Modified By ellis rowell at 9 Jul 2010 - 2:10 PM
javam
javam  91083 forum posts United Kingdom19 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jul 2010 - 4:23 PM

Quote: Software's your main issue, if you've been PC based previously and go down the Mac route you'll need all new software and likewise Mac to PC.

Actually, that is not strictly true, at least with adobe products. It is hidden away and you have to jump through a few hoops, but you can exchange/transfer a pc creative suite license (for example) for a mac one for free and vice versa. You have to pay a shipping fee if you want new media sending out and you have to send a letter saying you have destroyed the other version.

We have had to transfer a couple at work recently.

You can also get a 'cross platform upgrade' through a similar process - e.g. You have photoshop cs3 for windows you can upgrade to a cs5 for Mac for the normal upgrade price.

I don't know as Microsoft would let you do the same with an office license though as I have never tried, but if you are holding off switching because you don't want to buy photoshop again, you don't have to.

Neil

jholmes
jholmes  6 Ireland
16 Jul 2010 - 5:22 PM

I am IT manager and use a windows PC everyday in work last christmas I got a gift of a Mac from my wife and it is great. The Mac I find is different, quirky and and cerainly the software range is not expansive, but I love it.

Apple has caught me hook, line and sinker and I don't think I will buy another Microsoft windows PC, now back to reality.....

When you are considering buying an Apple personal computer, consider the investment you have made in microsoft software, photoshop, printers and external storage, make sure the web pages you need to access, as not all, support Apple's Safari bowser and also consider the costs MACs are not cheap !!!!.

However if you get one, you will love it. Apple compatible software, printers, cameras, Iphones etc, all plug in & connect a seamless manner and you will discover how computers should work.

lemmy
lemmy  71831 forum posts United Kingdom
18 Jul 2010 - 1:09 AM

Since we're mainly talking about Photoshop here, the real question is can you tell the difference between a picture digitally processed on a Mac or Win or Linux OS PC?

If you prefer one or the other's results, buy that. Personally, if you think you can tell a difference, I'd say you are delusional.

It's like cameras. Pick 'em up and feel 'em. If it feels ok, it is ok. Show me someone who says they can tell a picture taken on a Canon/ Nikon/ Pentax all displayed on the same monitor and I'll show you an idiot Tongue

As someone who has earned their living all their life from their camera, I can say with absolute honesty that no client ever asked me what brand of camera I used.

thewilliam
18 Jul 2010 - 12:29 PM

Would you have used an entry-level camera for a job where the client was likely to be present?

I remember a story from my old amateur days - it was just after the Leica M4 was released - the late 1960s. An architectural photographer generally worked with a 10x8 Sinar, but when he needed a few work-in-prograss shots, he used his new Leica M4.

The MD of the construction company was on site and expressed surprise when he saw the M4 being used because he'd just bought one himself. The photographer, of course, reassured the MD that the pix would be fine. The client thought for a few moments and replied that now that he had his own M4, he could do the photography himself and save the firm a small fortune.

The photographer had just lost nearly half his turnover!

keith selmes
18 Jul 2010 - 12:46 PM

I have thought that was an argument in favour of apple.
If you run a design studio of some kind, apple kit looks the part.
It sort of makes a statement about your philosophy and the type of work you do.
With some clients I could imagine that being important.

lobsterboy
18 Jul 2010 - 1:11 PM

Or (like companies with impressive buildings) might make clients think you are charging too much Wink

keith selmes
18 Jul 2010 - 1:31 PM

If I was their customer, it would cross my mind that I was paying for their kit.

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jul 2010 - 2:32 PM

Quote: Since we're mainly talking about Photoshop here, the real question is can you tell the difference between a picture digitally processed on a Mac or Win or Linux OS PC?

Obviously if you compare results then there's going to be no difference at all. But that's not the point, is it?

If you're buying a computer to use day in and day out you want the one that's going to be less annoying, require less maintenance and which will quietly let you get on with your work without occasional sulks or generally acting like a drama queen.

In other words, a Mac. TongueWink

keith selmes
18 Jul 2010 - 2:58 PM

I wouldn't mention apple and maintenance in the same sentence unless I was going to swear about it.
One thing that put me off was the 2 to 4 weeks back to workshop repair jobs.
You could get a decent response from an apple engineer on the phone, friendly helpful people. But having established there's a hardware failure, they would brightly say OK its under warranty, just drop it into your local apple centre. I would point out that was a about a 90 mile drive each way and in any case we'd paid for on site maintenance.
After a pause a shaken voice would reply that yes, it was 90.2 miles in fact, and they don't send engineers more than 70 miles. They would have to get it collected, and did I have my own cardboard box ?

If you've got 40 in a room and one goes, not such a big problem, if its your own only computer, not so good.

newfocus
newfocus  8644 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jul 2010 - 5:06 PM

Quote: the real question is can you tell the difference between a picture digitally processed on a Mac or Win or Linux OS PC?

Partly, but as with cameras, the question of 'handling' is important too, i.e. how productive are you when using it and how free is your brain from creativity-interrupting hassles.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.