Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

mac vs pc

lobsterboy e2
10 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
18 Jul 2010 5:52PM
Or if it actually will run the software you need to use.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
18 Jul 2010 5:58PM

Quote:Or if it actually will run the software you need to use.

Good point, I have had my computer for six years and the latest releases of most software packages will not run on it.

But
Had my MF camera for over 26 years and I can get film for it and there are still processing labs that can do the developing / printing Smile
lobsterboy e2
18 Jul 2010 6:03PM

Quote:I have had my computer for six years and the latest releases of most software packages will not run on it.

A friend of mine has a 15 year old PC that runs all the latest software. His wife banned him from buying any more computers , so he still has the same computer he had then....its just needed 6 replacement motherboards, 10 hard drives, 8 memory upgrades and 2 power supplies Wink
newfocus 8 644 2 United Kingdom
18 Jul 2010 7:58PM

Quote:he still has the same computer he had then....its just needed 6 replacement motherboards, 10 hard drives, 8 memory upgrades

I know someone who had a mountain bike for 12 years that was just like that. New brakes, new wheels, new forks, new frame...
discreetphoton e2
10 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
18 Jul 2010 8:02PM
Should be getting an award for services to the council any day now Wink
User_Removed 4 238
19 Jul 2010 3:40PM
I've never had a mac, never used one, so I can't really say that i prefer one against the other. I've used IBM compatible (yeah right) PC now for a long time and never felt the need to change. The same as some people are loyal to a particular brand of camera, i guess.

I'm lucky now in that I was able to buy a fairly high end pc a year or so ago, and it has been doing everything i want it to do, rapidly and reliably. My issue with mac is the problem of replacing all my sofware to justify buying one.

Dave
joolsb 10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
19 Jul 2010 5:32PM

Quote:My issue with mac is the problem of replacing all my sofware to justify buying one.

Why would you want to do that? Boot Camp is free if you want to boot into Windows on your Mac or you can pay for Parallels which allows you to run Windows and OSX at the same time. Then all you need to do is to upgrade to the Mac version when the need arises. So what's stopping you now?? Wink
19 Jul 2010 5:40PM

Quote: So what's stopping you now?? Wink

The price?? Macs are about 3 times more expensive than the equivalent spec pc Wink but they do look nicer.....
lobsterboy e2
19 Jul 2010 5:43PM

Quote:Boot Camp is free if you want to boot into Windows on your Mac or you can pay for Parallels

Or you can save all that hassle: buy a PC, run all the software you want and save a few quid too.
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
19 Jul 2010 5:47PM

Quote:Macs are about 3 times more expensive than the equivalent spec pc

Could you get something
like this for 323 ?

Oh and do not forget to include the equivalent software in the comparison Wink
19 Jul 2010 5:47PM

Quote:but they do look nicer.....

And much better built. I'd rather have aluminium than flimsy plastic any day. Oh, and the displays are much better, too. And the keyboard. And if we're talking laptops, there's the the multi-touch trackpad, too. Not to mention the superior battery-life.

Better compare those specs really carefully... Wink
User_Removed 5 1.4k England
19 Jul 2010 5:59PM
lolololololol mac.
19 Jul 2010 6:03PM

Quote:but they do look nicer.....

And much better built. I'd rather have aluminium than flimsy plastic any day. Oh, and the displays are much better, too. And the keyboard. And if we're talking laptops, there's the the multi-touch trackpad, too. Not to mention the superior battery-life.

Better compare those specs really carefully... Wink

I guess it all comes down to whether you can justify the expensive price tag for something that you could build pc-wise for cheaper, and there are many aluminium pc cases, keyboard and decent monitors around. I just cant justify it....and I know that they are not as reliable as mac owners make out. Yes windows is cranky but mac os is not without its flaws......it all comes down to personal preference. A mac only does what a pc does slightly differently, maybe more efficiently maybe not, but me, I cant justify the price tags..

Whhhyyyy do I enter into these mac vs pc debates, they all start the same, have the same content and end the same Smile
19 Jul 2010 6:08PM

Quote:Whhhyyyy do I get myself into these mac vs pc debates, they all start the same, have the same content and end the same

At last! Something we can agree on. I don't know why I get drawn in, either.... Wink
19 Jul 2010 6:12PM

Quote:Whhhyyyy do I get myself into these mac vs pc debates, they all start the same, have the same content and end the same

At last! Something we can agree on. I don't know why I get drawn in, either.... Wink

LOL yes its all a laugh at the end of the day, and if I had a spare 1600 quid I'd have a 27" Imac Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.