Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

mac vs pc

lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
19 Jul 2010 6:35PM

Quote:At last! Something we can agree on. I don't know why I get drawn in, either..

Me neither, but its a bit of fun that passes the time I suppose.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 4 238
19 Jul 2010 6:39PM

Quote:My issue with mac is the problem of replacing all my sofware to justify buying one.

Why would you want to do that? Boot Camp is free if you want to boot into Windows on your Mac or you can pay for Parallels which allows you to run Windows and OSX at the same time. Then all you need to do is to upgrade to the Mac version when the need arises. So what's stopping you now?? Wink

Well, having paid 750:00 18 months ago, I'm not inclined to spend the same again to kick out a good pc..........................
lobsterboy e2
19 Jul 2010 6:43PM
Ahh but you will miss out on the great build quality of the Mac.

Though its the same build quality that means a video card failing makes the machine "uneconomic to repair" but I wouldn't let it worry you. Because by that time the machine will be no longer fashionable so upgrading will be a good idea anyway.
Graysta e2
9 1.1k England
19 Jul 2010 8:08PM
I have both Mac Pro & "PC".
They work well together when i bought the Mac i decided to ditch all the dodgy PC progs i downloaded on the PC.And if i be honest i gave windows a reboot clear off all the s--t if it never worked again i cared not a jot.Now iam happy to have a wonderfull Mac on which PS works without a hitch and the Net is left to the Pc by downloading files to a pen drive then onto the net and the PC has not gone wrong since clearing PS off it .
Happy Bunny best of both worlds

Graham
Graysta e2
9 1.1k England
19 Jul 2010 8:43PM
I have worked in the motor trade for more years than i care to remember.and the PC v MAC .Nikon v Canon is only akin to the preference of car if it suits you good cos you are the one that pays for it.
Many times in my work people ask me about my choice of car and think that Merc ,ect would be the choice.Reality however for milage cost of repair ect put me in a Very reliable Ford Focus.Its a case of budget and usage the same applies to a computer or camera what suits your pocket and gives you satisfaction.
Well i got the MAC it dont look right in the back of the Focus at Events so Off to the BMW showroom for another toy (Mrs told me bills to pay) Looks like a Ka Next.

Graham Tongue Wink
cathal e2
10 492 4 Ireland
19 Jul 2010 11:20PM
It's not about the computer, or the operating system ... it's about the applications you want to use.
User_Removed 5 1.4k England
20 Jul 2010 9:17AM
I'm pretty sure the person in-front of the computer determines how effectively it is used. Its just a shame that incompetency correlates with mac users.
joolsb e2
10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
20 Jul 2010 11:47AM

Quote:Its just a shame that incompetency correlates with mac users.

Sounds like you need to spend some time manning a corporate help-desk....

There are idiots everywhere and there are many more PCs than Macs. Therefore simple logic would suggest that there are many more incompetents using PCs... Wink
keith selmes
11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
20 Jul 2010 1:22PM

Quote:incompetency correlates with mac users
there was a research project once which discovered PC users had better degree results than mac users.
It ran in a magazine as an apple computers rot your brains story. Or maybe apple users were just thick.
There were probably two real reasons. At the time PC were mostly still text based msdos, and they needed good typing, spelling and syntax. They also didn't have any good games. So the people gravitating to apple were the ones who had poor literacy skills to start with, and also the ones who'd rather play games than work on their assignments. You would also get the creative types, but maybe they would be swamped out in the stats by the game players.

So there was at least then some truth in the swwills comment.
User_Removed 5 1.4k England
20 Jul 2010 8:40PM
People who make poor consumer choices use macs. People who are on the cheap, end up with a cheap pc.

There is a difference and I was specifying a certain type of incompetence.... A la "this mac cost 2000 so therefore I am just as good as a 2000 pc user".

Seriously, anyone who thinks macs are better built and more stylish need to open their eyes. - You buy proper parts and you will get quality that far surpasses anything apple make.

I find it very rare that anyone has a legitimate reason to own a mac. -

I don't mind people struggling with pc's because at least they are learning things that will apply across the standards, regardless of manufacturer.

People struggling with macs learn that "my macbook sever isnt working because of appleAir" - rather than "there is a DNS error at xxxxx subnet". - that is why apple users are complete idiots, because no one can help easily them bar apple.

and in the computing world, that kind of closed development and business is a big turn off.

[Post edited by Epz Moderator - please keep things civil folks]
keith selmes
11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
20 Jul 2010 9:27PM

Quote:I find it very rare that anyone has a legitimate reason to own a mac
I think just liking one is a legitimate reason for having one.
But somebody else liking one is not a good reason for me to buy one, some apple enthusiasts do seem deluded on that point.
20 Jul 2010 9:36PM
I am and have always been a pc user, and hate the attitute of some apple users that "their machine is better than yours" just because its made by apple, but to say apple users are complete idiots and people who make poor consumer choices use macs, is not right. Surely it all boils down to personal preference and budget...I know I could build a pc with a higher spec, an alumiunium case and keyboard and a nice monitor for a cheaper price than an imac for instance, but some people just like the styling and mac operating system and will happily pay the price, regardless of what else is out there. In my eyes that doesnt make them a complete idiot.

Damn I've been pulled in again........Wink
lobsterboy e2
20 Jul 2010 9:42PM

Quote:in the computing world, that kind of closed development and business is a big turn off.

Maybe but in the consumer world, it seems the more closed a system is the more people like it.
Most people don't want a choice of software..they just want one that works.
keith selmes
11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
20 Jul 2010 10:55PM
One day, when old G5 power macs are really really cheap, I might buy one just to look at.
joolsb e2
10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
21 Jul 2010 12:14AM

Quote:People struggling with macs learn that "my macbook sever isnt working because of appleAir" - rather than "there is a DNS error at xxxxx subnet". - that is why apple users are complete idiots, because no one can help easily them bar apple.

If you really, really want to, you can always open a terminal window and type Unix commands all day long. That geeky enough for ya?

The reason most Mac users don't is that they don't actually need to. I don't think I've ever had a problem with my Apple wireless network. It was a doddle to set up and it sits there in the background just, you know, working.

I'm sorry that your PC network keeps giving you strange error messages. Something must be very wrong there, I think. Good luck with that. Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.