Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

mac vs pc

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

User_Removed
21 Jul 2010 - 11:02 AM

Quote: People struggling with macs learn that "my macbook sever isnt working because of appleAir" - rather than "there is a DNS error at xxxxx subnet". - that is why apple users are complete idiots, because no one can help easily them bar apple.

If you really, really want to, you can always open a terminal window and type Unix commands all day long. That geeky enough for ya?

The reason most Mac users don't is that they don't actually need to. I don't think I've ever had a problem with my Apple wireless network. It was a doddle to set up and it sits there in the background just, you know, working.

I'm sorry that your PC network keeps giving you strange error messages. Something must be very wrong there, I think. Good luck with that. Wink

lols. Prime example above.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 21 Jul 2010 - 11:03 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Jul 2010 - 11:02 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keith selmes
21 Jul 2010 - 12:57 PM

Quote: It was a doddle to set up and it sits there in the background just, you know, working.

Just like my PC stuff. Difference being I think its unremarkable, and apple users think its really clever.

Photogeek
Photogeek  9605 forum posts Wales6 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jul 2010 - 8:37 PM

I do wonder what it was that Mac Users used to do with PC's that caused them to break and not work.

Apart from hardware failures my PC . . . Just works . . . Networking . . . . Works . . . . And I'm going back to my DOS and windows 3.1 days . . . they just work. . . . That's just what I expect of them .. . in fact I've broken my G5 Power Mac more often trying to do things that it won't let me . . . that I just expect to be able to do cause I do it on my PC all the time .. . ."My PC . . . My Way"

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014170 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jul 2010 - 10:00 PM

Quote: caused them to break and not work.

In my experience, most problems seem to come from people (kids mainly) downloading lots of crappy bits of software from all over the place.

Imagine23
Imagine23  8241 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Jul 2010 - 10:12 PM

I've always used a PC, tried to move to Mac (27 inch desktop) but it was too noisy. Got it replaced - same again. Shame as its gorgeous, but I'm not paying that much for some thing which sounds like a very old PC!

newfocus
newfocus  8644 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jul 2010 - 11:24 PM

I'm probably on my own here with this reasoning but three years ago I switched from Windows to Linux, realised I was hugely more productive as a result (as a web developer) and just couldn't go back. What the Mac really gives me on top of that is the ability to run Adobe CS products natively on the road when I'm with clients on what's pretty much a linux-like machine with a nicely designed user interface and a six hour battery life. I could easily live without all the shiny aluminium and 'fanboy' stuff if Adobe decided to release CS for, say, Ubuntu, but they haven't. I struggle to get 'passionate' about it though - I use it because it works best for me. Er, and people ask to stroke my laptop, which is nice Wink

Last Modified By newfocus at 21 Jul 2010 - 11:25 PM
keith selmes
22 Jul 2010 - 10:20 AM

Quote: three years ago I switched from Windows to Linux, realised I was hugely more productive as a result (as a web developer)

Quote: run Adobe CS products natively

Interesting, and that does make sense.

Quote: people ask to stroke my laptop, which is nice

well if it keeps them happy ...

User_Removed
22 Jul 2010 - 12:03 PM

Quote: and people ask to stroke my laptop, which is nice Wink

And does it make it go quicker? Smile Well, maybe not go quicker, but you get my drift......................................Wink

ellis rowell
22 Jul 2010 - 1:13 PM

Computers are not clever, they're rather stupid machines, all they understand is 1's & 0's. Throw enough of them at them in the right order and they do wonderful things very quickly. The trouble is that not all programmers get them in the right order.

Computer Error no such thing, it's a programmer error.

I was beta testing a new ROM many years ago and whole damn thing fell over. I phoned a colleague who was involved in the writing of the ROM, he checked it and said "That's Lau, 3am job, one character wrong". He corrected it and everything worked a treat. If you think it's due to inexperience, Lau worked for a multi-national company as a code optimiser at a salary of 120,000 per annum (20 years ago).

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jul 2010 - 2:25 PM

I always used to tell my trainee programmers that the computer was a dumb box of wires determined to make them look like idiots. Their job was to try to make sure they didn't. Smile

marksilvester
22 Jul 2010 - 9:15 PM

I have used both, I do find the Mac more stable and quicker.

One of the best things about a Mac is the ability to run Windows, I can logon either in Windows 7 or as a Mac running Snow Leopard.

With a PC you can not run it as a Mac, so with the Mac I get the best of both worlds, and the pick of all software irrespective of the platform it runs on.

User_Removed
22 Jul 2010 - 11:58 PM

I have used both THEREFORE I KNOW EVERYTHING.

I love how he has used "both" and finds mac "quicker" and then goes on to rebuke his own comparison by saying that one can't run on the other.

Guess what? I ran OSX on my PC and I found WINDOWS TO BE QUICKER :o!!!!

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 23 Jul 2010 - 6:17 AM
_
_  9535 forum posts Virgin Islands, British4 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jul 2010 - 8:57 AM

One thing I have found with the Macs I have bought compared to the PC's is that they do hold their value a lot better.
I recently sold my old G4 iMac ( 2003) for 200 on Ebay, I also sold my old Viglen Pentium 3 computer c/w monitor, which I bought at the same time as the iMac (cost 45 more ), and this raised the princely sum of 15.

Both computers served me well and served my kids well when I finished using them.

I do prefer the iMacs for their all in one design, they just suit my office better, as for this whole PC/Mac thing : does it really matter?? Both systems are capable of great things and both have bugs that would drive you insane, but at the end of the day they are just computers.

keith selmes
23 Jul 2010 - 1:14 PM

I've never tried to sell an old PC, I just upgrade them.

I've assumed some Apple kit will become collector items and never be completely worthless.

Regarding OSX on a PC, I thought that was breaking the licence agreement, although if it is, I don't know how Apple get away with a restrictive practice like that.

cathal
cathal  10492 forum posts Ireland4 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jul 2010 - 3:49 PM

I think, SWWILS, your arguments and opinions would be easier to read if you were less derogatory towards those who hold an opposing view to your own.

Macintosh users made a poor consumer choice? Eh, I don't think so, and neither do countless consumer satisfaction surveys. The acid test for me is that since I first used a Macintosh, which incidentally was way back at their launch in 1984, I have yet to meet a Macintosh owner / switcher who regrets their decision. Macintosh owners are not "idiots", they have just made a different choice to the one you would make.

There are two areas here... hardware and software. Any hardware, regardless of manufacturer or platform, is a doorstop without firmware, an operating system, and applications. So, for the most part, forget about hardware for now.

Once the firmware has started the machine, you're into the operating system. I've used more operating systems over the years than I care to remember and the one thing they all have in common is without applications, they are pretty much useless. The reason somebody is using a computer is to get something done, and what that something is dictates the applications they are using, which in turn can dictate the hardware they choose to use. Want to run Lightroom? That's available on PC or Macintosh. Want to run Aperture? Macintosh only. I could go on, but you get my point I'm sure.

Budget, style, knowledge, convenience, size, space, design, feel, etc... all these other factors can be more or less significant for different people trying to solve the same problem with respect to their own individual compromises. People's choice of computer software or hardware is down to their own values on these and other issues, in much the same way as their camera choice often reflects their own needs, wants and desires.

Why do I allow myself to get drawn into this?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.