Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Macbook Air Macbook Pro

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    MichaelTuska
    10 Oct 2012 - 4:28 PM

Ok, I am going to purchase a'Macbook' especially for editing my photos whilst on a cruise ship as it as they are part of my RPS distinction.

I have a new seagate Ext. hard drive and am not averse to purchasing a supadrive dvd/cd writer reader.

If I am not going to have multi programmes open etc etc , will the macbook 'Air' with just the 4GB RAM and its processor suffice, as the portability and SSd are attractive.
    Or, is the Macbook Pro with 8GB ram and its supposedly better processor the best route and forget the increase in weight?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    10 Oct 2012 - 4:28 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman
    strawman  1022003 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Oct 2012 - 5:04 PM

On the cruise ship I imagine you will have a reasonable amount of time, so processing speed is not the top need, so I would go for a lap top computer with external drive. The i5 and i7 cores have enough grunt, and providing you do not have lots of images open then 4G should be fine. But is the screen good enough would be my concern. 11 is small for photo editing and 13 inch takes you to an eye watering £1,000 and its still glossy. Of course add an external drive or two. :-0

How portable do you need? Its not like you are going to be lugging it around a lot so I cannot see the size and weight advantages of the air being much of an advantage apart from the "ooh look at that" bit.

I think your options picked are about twice the price you need to have a good editing platform so I would pick 13 inch screen, 64 bit OS, 8G RAM and external back up drive. Why limit yourself to just apple other brands are out there.

** edit just noticed how slow they clock the cores in the Air, definitely get the pro over the air I had not realised how slow they were**

Last Modified By strawman at 10 Oct 2012 - 5:08 PM
    sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82286 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom123 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Oct 2012 - 5:09 PM

Don't go for a MacBook Air if its for processing images. Best bet is to go to an Apple Store and have a chat with the sales staff - unlike most computer stores I've visited - they really know there stuff.

Personally I'd recommend a 13" MacBook Pro. A compromise between size, weight, but with enough grunt.

Adam

SueEley
    SueEley e2 Member 8271 forum postsSueEley vcard Wales96 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Oct 2012 - 8:32 PM

Yes - if you hit lucky you will get someone who knows what they are talking about and who will be honest. But it's not guaranteed. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again Smile

tonymills
    tonymills  3 United Kingdom
    11 Oct 2012 - 12:05 AM

I use my Macbook Air often with several apps open inc PS. Often i'm using 100's MB-sized files as well (photomontaging), yes, it may be slow at times, but, hey, it's still a great LITTLE machine.

tony
    links removed - please see site t&cs

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 11 Oct 2012 - 6:45 AM
    User_Removed
    11 Oct 2012 - 8:53 AM

Quote: Best bet is to go to an Apple Store and have a chat with the sales staff - unlike most computer stores I've visited - they really know there stuff

Quote: if you hit lucky you will get someone who knows what they are talking about and who will be honest

Wow, I wonder what brand those guys at the Apple store will recommend? Great to see expert and unbiased advice is available: "Buy an Appl£. These big, glossy, expensive stores are expensive dude!! We need your money and lots of it"

Seriously, don't go for the Air, they crippled the processor speed thus reducing heat and need for better air cooling - ironic given the name. Air is a toy for spoilt brats to browse Facebook with. Save yourself 800 quid and get something faster you would have to learn the Windows version of Photoshop. Only difference is that keyboard shortcuts that used cmd on the Mac use ctrl on Windows. Grin

Get the other one. I hope on your cruise you sit in the shade or you'll only see reflection in that orrible glossy Apple screen and I hope you have a power point because the Macbook won't power your external Seagate drive.

User_Removed
    11 Oct 2012 - 9:36 AM

Can't you wait until you come home before editing your photographs?

I am absolutely horrified that anyone thinks they can assess and process to the standard required for as RPS Distinction panel using a titchy wee laptop screen.

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96228 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Oct 2012 - 9:42 AM

Quote: Wow, I wonder what brand those guys at the Apple store will recommend? Great to see expert and unbiased advice is available

And I wonder what brand the salesmen at a Mercedes or BMW Car Showroom would recommend ?

MichaelTuska
    11 Oct 2012 - 10:15 AM

You missed the point. Of course I won't be using the macbook to prepare images for a possible RPS panel. But, it is always helpful if one can view and' do some trial editing whilst way and ascertain whether a particular image is worth working on when sat in front of iMac desktop.

OK you can view on camera screen for basics but not much more.

Also, if you have images you have selected already for a panel, you can then see whether or not (even if technically ok) they form cohesion with the others

strawman
    strawman  1022003 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Oct 2012 - 10:18 AM

Well the apple guys will recommend getting a google product thinking of the recent maps launch.

To be serious if I were going on a cruise like this I would want a portable computer in order to do a preview and quick edit of images and also to manage backups. I would expect to be able to weed out the terrible images and keep the RAW images such that I could process again when home. You want something to do on the cruise do you not?

But as for the type of device I admit I am a boring old fart I would go for a known brand lap top with one (or even two) portable external drives to back up images to. Ideally the lap top would have a card reader built in, but USB ones are easy to use, so the device would need to have reasonable powered USB ports and ideally about 3 or more. I cannot see the need to spend over £500. The air strikes me as a bad choice, and the Pro is over priced and will a glossy screen not be nuisance in the boat where you cannot guarantee what the lighting conditions will be.

Last Modified By strawman at 11 Oct 2012 - 10:20 AM
    lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014059 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Oct 2012 - 10:35 AM

Quote: will the macbook 'Air' with just the 4GB RAM and its processor suffice, as the portability and SSd are attractive.

I am reminded of the time I worked in support and this user kept moaning that the latest IBM thinkpads, (the lightest machines on the market at the time) were too heavy. we pointed out that it would be a lot lighter if it wasn't sharing its bad with 2 folders full of paper and 2 books!

If you are going to pay the extra for an Apple product then the Air seems like a false economy to me. The weight difference between the air & the pro really aint that much in the scheme of things and its not like you will be going far with it - just from your cabin to the bar really Wink

hobbs
    hobbs e2 Member 101222 forum postshobbs vcard United Kingdom
    26 Oct 2012 - 2:24 PM

Quote: Wow, I wonder what brand those guys at the Apple store will recommend? Great to see expert and unbiased advice is available: "Buy an Apple. These big, glossy, expensive stores are expensive dude!! We need your money and lots of it".

Considering the thread was started
    Quote: Ok, I am going to purchase a'Macbook'

I would say it makes more sense than going to a shop that sells nothing but Windows computers. Tongue

hobbs
    hobbs e2 Member 101222 forum postshobbs vcard United Kingdom
    26 Oct 2012 - 2:35 PM

It's worth going into an Apple store if you have one near you and having a chat with on of the sales staff. I would say though that I think you would be better with a MacBook Pro, I presently have a 15" one that I use for editing when I'm on jobs that need a quick turn around. It might also be worth investing in a Mini Display Port to HDMI cable as this will enable you to connect it to any TV or Projector with a HDMI socket.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.