Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Macbook hard drive upgrade

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
20 Sep 2012 - 12:30 PM

Well, I am really struggling for space on my 6 year old macbook.
So, thinking of upgrading the hard drive, and if possible clone everything (including softwares) to the new hard drive.
Has anyone done it, DIY or in the shop? Is it easy to DIY?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Sep 2012 - 12:30 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

robthecamman
20 Sep 2012 - 12:35 PM

iv a macbook 2009 upgraded chips changed battery but not hard drive

Buchephalus
20 Sep 2012 - 1:01 PM

I've just changed the drive on my 17" MacBook Pro for a Crucial M4 solid state drive and added 8Gb RAM also from Crucial. It took me about 10 mins to do it. You need a torx and a crosshead screw driver, both of which I had. I also bought the data transferring kit for transferring the data to the new drive at the same time. It consists of a USB to esata cable and a copy of ShirtPocket's Superduper on disc. The copy of SuperDuper didn't work but you can download an updated version for free from their website and use that, it worked fine. The old drive I put in an Icybox case to use as an external drive. The Mac now boots up a lot faster and it zips alongSmile I checked out how to take the back off the Mac and replace the drive via a video on YouTube.

Alternatively what about using an external hard drive, unless the original drive is to small for all your Apps.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
20 Sep 2012 - 1:04 PM

Thanks.
I do have a couple of external HD.
But I do prefer to just use the internal, without the needs to plug in the external # lesshassle....Smile

robthecamman
20 Sep 2012 - 1:30 PM

type in google some good info on there to change hard drive

Coleslaw
20 Sep 2012 - 1:37 PM

I have been quoted £193 for a new 1TB WD 5400rpm, install and clone.
Expensive?

robthecamman
20 Sep 2012 - 1:46 PM

type in google how to upgrade hard drive on macbook and read

Coleslaw
20 Sep 2012 - 1:47 PM

I have.... I lost the will to live.....LOL

Andy80F
Andy80F  11306 forum posts United Kingdom
20 Sep 2012 - 1:47 PM

Have changed a few Macbook hard drives over the years and found you tube videos just great for showing the process. Its not a difficult task but the right tools and a few strips of adhesive tape (best to put screws onto so they don't roll away or go missing). It a satisfying job and if you put the old hard-drive into a an external enclosure (firewire is best) you can open from that drive and migrate from it to the newer drive.

Andy

robthecamman
20 Sep 2012 - 1:48 PM

haaa just do it urself

User_Removed
20 Sep 2012 - 2:10 PM

Cost me 80 quid to get my laptop hard drive cloned and updated. On account of Apple being better and easier it'll no doubt be cheaper and quicker.

mdpontin
mdpontin  96016 forum posts Scotland
20 Sep 2012 - 8:25 PM

Most people want to help. Chris apparently prefers to continue his immature trolling.

Cole, it shouldn't be difficult to replace it yourself - assuming you feel brave enough! Make sure you have a good - and tested - backup first. For example, take a 'bootable' clone of your internal HDD and test booting up your MacBook from the backup drive. There's a tutorial here on replacing a MacBook HDD - not sure if it's for a similar model to yours, but the principles are the same. I'm sure there's plenty more information out there - that was just one of the first I turned up.

Coleslaw
20 Sep 2012 - 8:52 PM

That's why I ignored him....Smile

I will see if I have the courage to do it myself....lol

User_Removed
20 Sep 2012 - 9:01 PM

Aww wish you hadn't ignored me Cole, you should have read what I said, it was good Wink

Doug, sorry for me sarcastically suggesting that Macs are expensive and difficult to upgrade, I guess you're saying that's not the case at all Wink

Last Modified By User_Removed at 20 Sep 2012 - 9:04 PM
robthecamman
21 Sep 2012 - 7:31 AM

find a good set of instructions print them off to follow or borrow another computer to follow instructions on that you will be chuffed to rocks when youv done itSmile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.