Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Macbook pro

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Graywolf
    Graywolf  6964 forum posts United Kingdom
    5 May 2011 - 10:03 AM

At the end of last year I decided to return to Macs and bought a 15" Macbook pro. I really love it but have only just started to get my head round using it for my photography. Grappling with Lightroom is tying my head in knots but I wondered what was the best way to calibrate the LCD display. I went through the system calibration but it didn't seem to to do very much.

I have Spyder 2 Express which I used on my PCs. It says it is for Mac as well. Probably a stupid question but will it work on the Macbook.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    5 May 2011 - 10:03 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SophieHart
    5 May 2011 - 10:25 AM

If you have a gloss screen I don't think the Spyder will work. I think they recommend calibrating using the built in system. The gloss screen is why I didn't guy one.

cameracat
    cameracat  108575 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    5 May 2011 - 10:28 AM

My guess is it will work with your Macbook, Just as it did with your Windows machines......Grin

Just make sure you have the correct and latest version of the Spyder software for whatever Mac OS version your running.....Smile

Quote: If you have a gloss screen

LOL....Grin Yep! them glossy are great are they NOT.....Sad

I heard a tip doing the rounds, If your stuck with one of them glossy screen, Find a clear but matt plastic sheet of film, Then place that under the Spyder during calibration, Just make sure its as claer as possible, Or that may impact on the white point calibration.

That said the Spyder does have a soft face seal that sits against the screen, SO ( just like shooting through glass at the Zoo etc ) It dials out most if not all the reflections.

Either way, Try it and see how you go......Wink

Last Modified By cameracat at 5 May 2011 - 10:33 AM
    User_Removed
    5 May 2011 - 10:31 AM

The latest Apple screens, in general, look absolutely fantastic in the Apple Store and will still look fantastic when you get them home. However, trying to post-process a photograph using them will give a result that looks great to you but is unlikely to look good to anyone viewing it on an ordinary monitor.

Martin Evening deals with this problem in his books (but, for his own use, he opts to use "normal" monitors rather than the ones supplied by Apple.)

That, by the way, is why so many professional photographers now use the iPad to show potential clients their portfolio. The iPad screen greatly "enhances" the appearance of their images.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 5 May 2011 - 10:32 AM
    cameracat
    cameracat  108575 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    5 May 2011 - 10:41 AM

Quote: The iPad screen greatly "enhances" the appearance of their images

LOL....Absolutely.....Grin It all helps to create that illusion that anything " Apple " is brilliant, Those who live in the real world know the ugly truth though....Tongue

Wink

KathyW
    KathyW  101793 forum posts Norfolk Island12 Constructive Critique Points
    5 May 2011 - 10:50 AM

LOL....Absolutely.....Grin It all helps to create that illusion that anything " Apple " is brilliant, Those who live in the real world know the ugly truth though....Tongue

Wink

Damn... iPad on Xmas list then...

Graywolf
    Graywolf  6964 forum posts United Kingdom
    5 May 2011 - 11:29 AM

Well the Spyder 2 is currently working away behind me so we'll see what happens

User_Removed
    5 May 2011 - 8:54 PM

Wink

Damn... iPad on Xmas list then...

Hell, Cathy, why not ask Santa for an iPad, iBook ,iMac and, to keep the kids happy, an iPod.

Lot of eyeWash if you ask me!

TongueWinkSmile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.