Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Macro and micromacro lighting

bfgstew e2
8 668 105 England
24 Nov 2011 6:07PM
I am wondering if anyone has some suggestions on lighting for macro and micromacro work. The likes of biker11's macro work is superb and would love to get somewhere near that level if possible!
I use either a Sigma 150 APO EX lens or a set of bellows with a 55mm prime reversed with a X2 Teleconverter on it. I have a ringflash which is fired through my SB-600 speedlight, but I am finding it a bit hit and miss, either too harsh or not enough, plus it is a bit limiting having it attached to the end of the lens.
Can a speedlight be used with a snoot/diffuser on the end, off camera? Continuous lighting, plus flash?
Ideas and suggestion would be appreciated, budget is limited, but am adept at making things!!!!
Thanks in anticipation

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
24 Nov 2011 6:38PM
I sometimes use a light tent with lights, similar to THIS .

Ade
bfgstew e2
8 668 105 England
24 Nov 2011 8:09PM
Thank you Ade, looks a fairly reasonable price and portable as well........Smile
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
24 Nov 2011 8:44PM

Quote:I sometimes use a light tent with lights, similar to THIS.

Ade

+1
MeanGreeny e2
9 3.7k England
24 Nov 2011 9:53PM
Pages and pages of setups HERE

Some may look a little Heath Robinson but - for the most part - they know what they're talking about
bfgstew e2
8 668 105 England
24 Nov 2011 11:00PM
Cheers for the link Simon, some good ideas in there...................Wink
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
25 Nov 2011 9:49AM
An excellent link, MG.
But check out the 'Bifurcator' on the final page Tongue
MeanGreeny e2
9 3.7k England
25 Nov 2011 9:59AM

Quote:An excellent link, MG.
But check out the 'Bifurcator' on the final page Tongue

Carrying that around its no wonder he looks knackered. He's actually only 24 years old.
triumphv8 e2
7 453 United Kingdom
25 Nov 2011 11:07PM
Stewart, for more lighting options, the old high voltage flash units can be picked up for a few quid off Ebay, they can be optically triggered so you don't endanger your camera, or the voltage can be dropped with a simple circuit. I have about half a dozen so I can leave certain set-ups in place, or not worry about leaving set-up in the garage.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.