Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Macro Bellows

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
davro49mo
davro49mo  12 United Kingdom
14 Oct 2011 - 10:46 AM

Has anyone tried these chineese macro bellows that cost around £30. Are they anygood or would you go a bit more up market. I am thinking about doing some close up work with a nikon D200 and wondered whether these were worth trying.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Oct 2011 - 10:46 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MrGoatsmilk
14 Oct 2011 - 11:00 AM

Spooky I was just about to ask the same question after seeing the ones 7dayshop sell.

these ones

bfgstew
bfgstew  7668 forum posts England105 Constructive Critique Points
14 Oct 2011 - 11:06 AM

Got to be worth 30 quid of anyones money just to see how they get on!
Not sure if they will work with my 150 macro lens but gonna give it a wirl.

MrGoatsmilk
14 Oct 2011 - 11:57 AM

I was looking to try it with my extension tubes and a lens, should that work?

bfgstew
14 Oct 2011 - 12:04 PM

Just looked at the nikon version and to get high magnification you need the 20mm lens but that is 350 quid..................Sad
Will just get it and have a play around, see what it will do, may need reversing rings and stuff but as said before, for 30 quid, it's cheap as chips...............Tongue

thewilliam
14 Oct 2011 - 2:16 PM

You don't have to use the normal 20mm Nikon prime. Why not try a "C" mount lens that's designed for 16mm ciné. Adapters are available.

bfgstew
14 Oct 2011 - 6:34 PM

Cheers for that, had a look on Flea bay and found no end, and for 25 to 35 quid and an adapter for a few more, seems like a no brainer, if it all works............Wink

Paintman
Paintman e2 Member 7790 forum postsPaintman vcard United Kingdom171 Constructive Critique Points
14 Oct 2011 - 6:38 PM

I have some Russian bellows and took This with it and a Carl Zeiss 50mm manual focus lens. I haven't used them since 2007.

I don't know about the Chinese ones but the Russian ones are good. I think it's the case that the longer the lens the lower the magnification when used with bellows. I can't remember why. The 50mm focal length works best and seems to have the highest magnification of the lenses I used on the bellows. I also used a 28mm and a 135mm lens.

When I used bellows I found it was best to put the subject on a moveable stage and move this stage so the flower, etc., could be moved into focus. Moving the setup on the tripod took ages because of camera creep when tightening the ball head causing the composition to move in the viewfinder.

Good lighting is essential at high magnifications and a couple of flashguns may be needed as well.

bfgstew
14 Oct 2011 - 6:51 PM

Thanks Alan for the info.

bfgstew
14 Oct 2011 - 10:11 PM

Been thinking about this. I really do want to get a 50mm prime and have been looking at the Nikon f1.8, would that be OK to use with the bellows and if so would it need a reversing ring for it as well

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1218416 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
14 Oct 2011 - 10:18 PM

You can get really close with the lens the right way round and yes a 50mm will be fine.

bfgstew
14 Oct 2011 - 10:24 PM

OK cheers Pete, thats that sorted, just need to win this months Nikon nation comp for the 50mm lens..........Grin

Last Modified By bfgstew at 14 Oct 2011 - 10:24 PM
mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45766 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
15 Oct 2011 - 10:09 AM

Quote: I think it's the case that the longer the lens the lower the magnification when used with bellows. I can't remember why.

Like extension tubes it is the relationship between the focal length of the lens and the physical length of the bellows. So if the focal length increases, the % effect of the bellows decreases.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-25mm-Extension-Tube-II-Revie...

thewilliam
15 Oct 2011 - 11:11 AM

Bear in mind that the D200 is one of the "higher models" that will happily work with pretty well anything fitted to the lens-mount. Provided the bellows can be physically attached to the camera body, you can use a cheapie bellows with any lens except a G series Nikon, which doesn't have an aperture ring. The G series lenses default to minimum f stop unless they're fitted to a body that has the control for aperture.

bfgstew
15 Oct 2011 - 11:25 AM

So one of these would work with the D200?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.