Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Macro insects how to attract them?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    meercat
    meercat  5278 forum posts United Kingdom
    22 Jun 2009 - 11:09 AM

I've been attempting to photograph bees/wasps/hoverflies etc but the don't like to come near the flowers I set the camera up by or fly off too quick if I try stalking, does anyone have any tips for me?

Do people use a sugary substance to attract them?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Jun 2009 - 11:09 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

rowarrior
    rowarrior  64350 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Jun 2009 - 11:21 AM

When I tried at the weekend I didn't have to use anything to attract them but I did notice that in the garden I was in, there were certain flowers they tended to favour over all the others. Both of them were purply-lilacy in colour, but that may just have been conincidence (sorry, my botany skills are nil, best I can do is purply-lilacy flowers!)

brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 1110227 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Jun 2009 - 11:47 AM

Hoverflies tend to have fixed patrol routes so, for in-flight shots, if you have them in your garden, watch them for a bit, identify where they tend to hover then stand there with your camera hand-held and pre-focused in manual focus and wait for them to fill your view-finder.

As for plants, echinops is always a favourite as is Rock-Rose and any of the "Bell" flowers (penstimon, foxglove etc) Shoot hand-held / prefocused again and catch them in the flower it is possible to get shots of them feeding and then as they exit / fly off.

I find that I can't use a tripod to get my shots and stalking / following just doesn't work for me (but others have completely different experiences I know)

Practise really is the only way for these subjects though

(I've Never tried "sugary substances so don't know if it would work)

Last Modified By brian1208 at 22 Jun 2009 - 11:48 AM
    markharrop
    markharrop  10191 forum posts England
    22 Jun 2009 - 11:48 AM

If you shoot in the early morning, or late in the day when the temperatures are cooler, then the insect tend to react a little slower.

Also, approach them at a constant slow speed. Watch for their habits too, most insect will also come back to the same type of flower.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Jun 2009 - 12:40 PM

The smell of cellulose paint seems to attract " Hornets " ....Smile

Not helpfull when your trying to paint something though....Wink

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53581 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Jun 2009 - 12:51 PM

Quote: If you shoot in the early morning, or late in the day when the temperatures are cooler, then the insect tend to react a little slower.

Also, approach them at a constant slow speed. Watch for their habits too, most insect will also come back to the same type of flower.

I tried this out at the weekend - works great, a bright cool morning and i could almost shake hands with them - if only i knew which of their 6 legs or 2/4 wings to shake.

digicammad
    digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Jun 2009 - 12:55 PM

Don't wash for a month?

joolsb
    joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Jun 2009 - 1:00 PM

Leave out some micro insects as bait....

magnus
    magnus  9661 forum posts United Arab Emirates5 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Jun 2009 - 4:41 AM

Pretend your having a picnic - always seems to bring in every insect for miles!

mohikan22
    mohikan22  102187 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Jun 2009 - 8:46 AM

hello Meercat. I did a litle bit of togging yesterday afternoon. i placed out 1x orange cut in half 1x rabbit bone from the day befores dinner and a couple of honey drops... sat back and waitied with the camera set up. It worked too, The rabbit became flied and the fruit became anted. the honey was just a stop and go for a hoverfly. BUT the smells (although we cant smell it) did atract a few bugs and critters (see my folio for yesterdays upload)
    Hope this all helps
    Matt.

mark_delta
    23 Jun 2009 - 8:54 AM

Beer !

paulcr
    paulcr  91536 forum posts Ireland9 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Jun 2009 - 8:56 AM

I put a spoon of sugar in warm water and dripped it on the leaf to get This.
    You can see the probiscus on the leaf even. Worked a treat (for the hoverfly Smile)

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.