Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Macro insects how to attract them?

meercat 5 278 United Kingdom
22 Jun 2009 11:09AM
I've been attempting to photograph bees/wasps/hoverflies etc but the don't like to come near the flowers I set the camera up by or fly off too quick if I try stalking, does anyone have any tips for me?

Do people use a sugary substance to attract them?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

rowarrior 6 4.4k 9 Scotland
22 Jun 2009 11:21AM
When I tried at the weekend I didn't have to use anything to attract them but I did notice that in the garden I was in, there were certain flowers they tended to favour over all the others. Both of them were purply-lilacy in colour, but that may just have been conincidence (sorry, my botany skills are nil, best I can do is purply-lilacy flowers!)
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
22 Jun 2009 11:47AM
Hoverflies tend to have fixed patrol routes so, for in-flight shots, if you have them in your garden, watch them for a bit, identify where they tend to hover then stand there with your camera hand-held and pre-focused in manual focus and wait for them to fill your view-finder.

As for plants, echinops is always a favourite as is Rock-Rose and any of the "Bell" flowers (penstimon, foxglove etc) Shoot hand-held / prefocused again and catch them in the flower it is possible to get shots of them feeding and then as they exit / fly off.

I find that I can't use a tripod to get my shots and stalking / following just doesn't work for me (but others have completely different experiences I know)

Practise really is the only way for these subjects though

(I've Never tried "sugary substances so don't know if it would work)
markharrop 10 191 England
22 Jun 2009 11:48AM
If you shoot in the early morning, or late in the day when the temperatures are cooler, then the insect tend to react a little slower.

Also, approach them at a constant slow speed. Watch for their habits too, most insect will also come back to the same type of flower.
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
22 Jun 2009 12:40PM
The smell of cellulose paint seems to attract " Hornets " ....Smile

Not helpfull when your trying to paint something though....Wink
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
22 Jun 2009 12:51PM

Quote:If you shoot in the early morning, or late in the day when the temperatures are cooler, then the insect tend to react a little slower.

Also, approach them at a constant slow speed. Watch for their habits too, most insect will also come back to the same type of flower.

I tried this out at the weekend - works great, a bright cool morning and i could almost shake hands with them - if only i knew which of their 6 legs or 2/4 wings to shake.
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
22 Jun 2009 12:55PM
Don't wash for a month?
joolsb 10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
22 Jun 2009 1:00PM
Leave out some micro insects as bait....
magnus 10 661 5 United Arab Emirates
23 Jun 2009 4:41AM
Pretend your having a picnic - always seems to bring in every insect for miles!
mohikan22 10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
23 Jun 2009 8:46AM
hello Meercat. I did a litle bit of togging yesterday afternoon. i placed out 1x orange cut in half 1x rabbit bone from the day befores dinner and a couple of honey drops... sat back and waitied with the camera set up. It worked too, The rabbit became flied and the fruit became anted. the honey was just a stop and go for a hoverfly. BUT the smells (although we cant smell it) did atract a few bugs and critters (see my folio for yesterdays upload)
Hope this all helps
Matt.
mark_delta 7 1.3k
23 Jun 2009 8:54AM
Beer !
paulcr 10 1.5k 9 Ireland
23 Jun 2009 8:56AM
I put a spoon of sugar in warm water and dripped it on the leaf to get This .
You can see the probiscus on the leaf even. Worked a treat (for the hoverfly Smile)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.