Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

macro lens 40mm or 60mm or Extension Tubes ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62481 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
26 Dec 2012 - 9:39 AM

Looking at your portfolio you have the skill to use a reverse ring to good standard. The lenses you are looking at give you little advantage other than the convenience of autofocus.
Going closer than 1:1 magnification is often achieved by using a manual setup on bellows in a similar way to the reverse ring that you are using.
http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk is a good source of best UK prices for official imports. It says the 40mm lens is currently available for 185 new.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Dec 2012 - 9:39 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

avacreates
26 Dec 2012 - 1:14 PM

Thank you Len, I find your information very helpful so thank you for taking the time to give me advice and for the compliment which is appreciated. I guess the macro lens will help with lighting more so than the reverse ring which can be frustrating when the sun goes behind the clouds and for some reason I always forget that I actually have a flash attached to my camera doh! I will check out the bellows and practice more taking the lens off auto and adjusting manually. Its all a learning process.
with gratitude
AVA

avacreates
26 Dec 2012 - 1:20 PM

Barry, thanks heaps for this info - I'm checking out the Sigma 70mm!!!
with gratitude
AVA

posty57
posty57  6 United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
26 Dec 2012 - 1:35 PM

An absolute pleasure Smile
Barry

avacreates
26 Dec 2012 - 1:44 PM

Annette, thanks so much for your information. Still doing my research before I make a decision. I probably won't get my lens now, until February. I will check out the 90mm MF Tamron you have suggested and the Sigma 70mm that Barry has suggested

I very much appreciate everyone's time

Best Wishes for the New Year - looking forward to seeing all the New Year Photos

AVA

THIRTYFIVEMILL
26 Dec 2012 - 3:26 PM

Quote: Looking at your portfolio you have the skill to use a reverse ring to good standard. The lenses you are looking at give you little advantage other than the convenience of autofocus.
Going closer than 1:1 magnification is often achieved by using a manual setup on bellows in a similar way to the reverse ring that you are using.
http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk is a good source of best UK prices for official imports. It says the 40mm lens is currently available for 185 new.

You can also use a Nikon T6 or T5 close up filter on 62mm lenses like the 60mm micro nikkor and 70-180 Zoom micro nikkor. I use a T6 on both with good results and very little image degredation, if any. They're discontinued now and as such are quite hard to find and not as cheap as they once were new. Worth sourcing, though.

Last Modified By THIRTYFIVEMILL at 26 Dec 2012 - 3:26 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.