Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

macro lens

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Craggwildlife
    Craggwildlife e2 Member 673 forum postsCraggwildlife vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Feb 2010 - 8:06 PM

Im thinking of purchasing a macro lens for a canon full frame camera ....

Any suggestions

David

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    18 Feb 2010 - 8:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

AlanPerkins
    18 Feb 2010 - 8:19 PM

Any of the Canon macro lenses are good. My favourite is the 180mm F/3.5L, but the 100mm F/2.8 is good too (even without the "L" designation) if you can't stretch to the bigger lens.

Alan P

mohikan22
    mohikan22  102188 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Feb 2010 - 8:22 PM

he 100mm F/2.8 is good too (even without the "L" designation)
    cracking lens IMO. i have one and it really doesnt come off. portraits or macro work are excellent with it.
    most in my folio are done with it
    matt.

Overread
    Overread  63806 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Feb 2010 - 8:36 PM

What sort of budget are you looking at and also what kind of macro work would you be intending to do? Namly is it insects or not since insects do have slightly different ideal requirements over just static subjects like flowers, products and such.

Craggwildlife
    Craggwildlife e2 Member 673 forum postsCraggwildlife vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Feb 2010 - 8:50 PM

Re: price .its the quality of the picture that is more important, ]

As none of the lenses i have are macro (since upgrade to full frame)

i am looking looking for a good allrounder macro lens to add to my gear should the

occasion needs one...

flowers insects etc:

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Feb 2010 - 9:01 PM

I have a canon 100mm macro. Only used it couple of times, so don't think I am justifying it. So I am actually thinking of selling it.

Overread
    Overread  63806 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Feb 2010 - 9:14 PM

Hmm well then your options are many indeed Smile
    Sharpness wise you will be hard pressed to tell the difference between any of the current macro prime lenses on the market - and even if you can in studio tests sample variation will be a bigger contributing factor. In the field you simply won't be able to tell them apart.

So use, price and features are what you have left to go on;

Sigma 70mm macro - shortest fullframe macro lens (that I'm aware of) on the market (barring the sigma 50mm which is far more of a budget line macro lens in construction). It's a good solid performer, though its AF is nothing special (slow and noisy). It will alsosupport mounting on a sigma teleconverter (either 1.4 or 2*) even though its not listed as compatable. For short focal length macro its a very good option

Tamron 90mm macro - a very popular macro lens and the "budget" choice for an insect macro shooter. That making it the shortest recomended lens for insect work.

Sigma 105mm macro, Tokina 100mm macro - putting these two together mostly as they are very similar budget line 100mm macro lens options. Sigma 105mm performs very much the same as the 70mm macro sigma but without the teleconverter compatability. I have less idea of the Tokina's features.

Canon 100mm macro - the original and even so its still a very strong choice. One of the better auto focus systems in a macro lens, though its still not lighting fast.

Canon 100mm L IS macro - the new and upgraded version with IS and also a general overall improvement over the 100mm in features - however its image quality is still about the same as the original. IS has less effect at macro distances but is still a great boon to have for both macro and regular use. In addition it appears to support some new focusing modes in cameras like the 7D which is aimed at macro work and trying to counter the back/forward motion that is often present in macro work. I've had to rely on other sources for that last bit of info and I've not read too much about its use in the field thus far.
    Its an expensive but certainly very worthy choice

Sigma 150mm macro - the longest focal length macro lens which is widly regarded as handholdable. Its features are a full step up from the other mentioned sigma options - having internal focusing, HSM focusing and offical teleconveter compatability. A very sharp and good macro lens - its also quite popular with general nature shooters for its longer focal length.

Sigma 180mm macro - feature are identicle to the 150mm sigma, but with another 30mm worth of focal length. It's more regarded as a tripod based macro lens instead of a handheld one (however it can still be used very well as a handheld option). The handheld/tripod difference between the 150mm and 180mm is really very fine and not written in stone

Canon 180mm L macro - this is infact not as popular a choice as the sigma - the sigma giving the same image quality, but being a bit lighter and also a lot cheaper in price. It has bonuses in that it has L grade building quality and also (I belive) will take to canon teleconverters.

Tamron 180mm macro - for some reason this is like the Tokina 100mm macro in that its not a very popular macro lens. Its certainly sharp and is a cheaper option than the canon but the sigma appears to beat it for features.

Craggwildlife
    18 Feb 2010 - 9:25 PM

many thanks for all your information ,its certainley going to be a big help..

thanks for all your time much appreciated

regards David

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.