Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Macro lens for D5100

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Redziggy
    28 May 2013 - 8:47 PM

Hello would so appreciate some help, I'm new to photography and want to get a macro lens to shoot insects etc, would the Nikon-AF-S-Micro-NIKKOR-40mm be ok for this? I've googled a lot and can't find a definitive answer!

I don't have a huge budget for it, so does anyone have any advice on this or an alternative lens?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am finding it all very confusing! Smile

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    28 May 2013 - 8:47 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c
    justin c  104504 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    28 May 2013 - 9:26 PM

It'll be ok for certain subjects, providing your fieldcraft skills are good, i.e. getting close. The better option and the one preferred by many for insect photography is a longer focal length macro lens, with various options available from 90mm to 180mm. The longer focal length will give you greater working distance and a narrower angle of view, making it easier to isolate your subject against the background.
    Don't limit your choice to just Nikon lenses, Tamron and Sigma will also provide macro lenses capable of superb results.

Coventryphotog
    Coventryphotog Junior Member 1149 forum posts United Kingdom
    28 May 2013 - 10:07 PM

Most macro lenses are pretty good, I use a Tamron 90 personally, and for the money it is excellent - no VR though....

GazzaG2003
    GazzaG2003  11248 forum posts England
    28 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

it reads to be a very capable lens and its 1:1. I personally use a Sigma 150mm macro simply because it gives me a longer working distance, but as Justin says fieldcraft skills go a very long way. work with those and I'm sure this lens will give you lots of fun.

Skeet1Away
    Skeet1Away e2 Member 227 forum postsSkeet1Away vcard Scotland1 Constructive Critique Points
    29 May 2013 - 7:23 AM

Hi, you can have fun with any macro lens. I waited and saved a bit longer and purchased the sigma 105mm and am very pleased with it. I used it most of last year on my d5000. I've had an accident an not allowed to lift the camera for a few months but can't wait to try it out on my d7000. I suppose its really down to budget, but as I said macro is what you make of it yourself and you will get great results with any lens.........just have fun.

Paul.

Redziggy
    29 May 2013 - 9:11 AM

Firstly thank you so much for taking the time to comment and help me.

I have decided based on this that my "concerns" about the 40mm lens have been confirmed and i am going to save a bit more and go for the sigma 70 or more likely the Tamron 90mm lens. Id rather that than spend the money and be dispapointed in what i can do with it.

Paul, I know how addictive photography can be so hope you are better soon so you can try out the D7000 Smile

Jenna

Gundog
    Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
    29 May 2013 - 4:05 PM

Jenna,

The problem in answering your question is that there really is no such thing as a general purpose macro lens. Real macro enthusiasts are likely to have at least three macro lenses in a range of focal lengths from 40 - 180mm plus, in all probability, a selection of other macro equipment such as reversing rings, extension tubes, bellows, micrometer racks, etc. All in all, a very expensive side of the hobby, I am afraid.

If you want to start out with a single macro lens, then my suggestion would be to go "mid-range" with either the Nikkor or Sigma 105mm f/2.8 offerings. They give you a nice compromise between shooting distance and magnification.

The second thing on your shopping list might be a ring flash to fit your lens. For close macro shooting, there is no need to opt for an expensive one - the Marumi at around £120 is perfectly adequate.

Last Modified By Gundog at 29 May 2013 - 4:06 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.