Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Macro lens for Nikon D40

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    greatdog
    greatdog  6 England
    13 Jul 2009 - 12:32 PM

I am looking to buy a macro lens for my nikon d40,the main problem being budget!Loooking to spend about £200-250.What makes and models would i be looking at and also will the lens fit onto other nikon models if i upgrade to say a nikon d60.Am i right in thinking any lens would also be manual focus,and be good for portrait photos,thanks for any help,Dane.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    13 Jul 2009 - 12:32 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad
    digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Jul 2009 - 12:35 PM

Look for a second hand Nikkor 60mm or 105mm macro, they are both brilliant lenses. I have the 60mm and love it, though sometimes it would be good not to have to get quite so close (as with the 105).

Ian

digicammad
    digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Jul 2009 - 12:37 PM

... and yes a Nikon lens will fit almost every Nikon camera, certainly all the digital with the exception of the full(ish) frame models.

The 60mm lens is a 90mm equivalent on a crop sensor, 105 is about 150. Both are fine for portraits, though they are so sharp you may need to do some post processing to decrease wrinkles. Smile

digicammad
    13 Jul 2009 - 12:44 PM

almost forgot. The old style Nikkor lenses with the little aperture control bracket thingy also work, mine is like that. If you search eBay look at the 'lenses for film cameras', they are often cheaper than the digital listings.

Like this one

Last Modified By digicammad at 13 Jul 2009 - 12:46 PM
    cameracat
    cameracat  108575 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Jul 2009 - 4:09 PM

As far as I am aware the D40 requires the newer Nikor lens, With biult in AF motors, As the body is unable to drive the older mechanical AF lens......!

If so then for a D40 you need to look at the latest 60 & 105mm Nikkor lens, Or have a look at the Sigma units that are compatible, I have used the Sigma 70mm Macro, Can vouch for its image quality, That said the Nikon lens are much better biult.....!

Many on EPZ like the Tamron 90mm too........Smile

User_Removed
    13 Jul 2009 - 4:54 PM

Scroll down to D40 in this link

mcgovernjon
    13 Jul 2009 - 6:08 PM

Don't upgrade to the D60 - the D40 beats it in many ways. Get a higher-level Nikon instead.

Assyrian
    Assyrian  6132 forum posts Scotland
    13 Jul 2009 - 8:01 PM

I use the Nikon 105 macro and love it. If you can get a second hand one in your price bracket you'll not be disappointed.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.