Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Macro Lenses

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jul 2012 - 4:11 PM

I just made a statement on one of my images in reply to a query made on my upload of today, now I'm sure what I've replied with is right. But now I've said I'm not sure Sad

Will someone more qualified than me please clarify that what I've said is either right or wrong just so I don't appear to be an even bigger dickhead than normal Tongue

So as not to be seen to be click fishing etc......The statement I made is as follows:

Quote: I am surprised the 90mm Tamron macro lens get in this close...........

I can assure you it does.......Wind the lens right out to it's full magnification then slowly move the camera in until everything is in focus! True 1:1 macro.....But note how the DOF drops off.....

All macro lenses in the range of 90-105mm be it made by Canon, Tamron & Sigma work the same way, although some lenses might not physically extend as the Tamron does.....In which case the focus ring has to be turned to it's fullest extent. It's only at this point you truly get 1:1 macro!

Ade

Last Modified By Ade_Osman at 26 Jul 2012 - 4:12 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Jul 2012 - 4:11 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lawbert
lawbert  71720 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jul 2012 - 4:24 PM

Whatever the focal length of a Macro Lens it will achieve true 1:1 magnification at its minimum focussing distance.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jul 2012 - 4:28 PM

Which in effect is what I said but only more long winded.....Thank you, my minds at rest now, I thought for a minute I was going even more nuts than usual....

Ade Wink

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318456 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jul 2012 - 4:28 PM

Quote: Whatever the focal length of a Macro Lens it will achieve true 1:1 magnification at its minimum focussing distance.

Some are 2:1 and need an extension tube to achieve 1:1

lawbert
26 Jul 2012 - 4:34 PM

Quote: Whatever the focal length of a Macro Lens it will achieve true 1:1 magnification at its minimum focussing distance.
Some are 2:1 and need an extension tube to achieve 1:1

Which are those?

Im assuming they are the 70-300 range of Tamrons and Sigmas which arent true 1:1 Macro lenses

thewilliam
26 Jul 2012 - 4:42 PM

The Zeiss 100mm Makro Planar "only" goes to half life-size.

Ade_Osman
26 Jul 2012 - 4:42 PM

Which is why I quoted 90-105mm......

He say's hopefully Sad

Ade

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jul 2012 - 4:44 PM

My Canon 50mm Macro has 0.5x maximum magnification, so would need an extension tube for 1:1.

lawbert
26 Jul 2012 - 4:50 PM

Quote: My Canon 50mm Macro has 0.5x maximum magnification, so would need an extension tube for 1:1.

If you wanted to achieve true 1:1 what size tube would you put on? 12mm 25mm.......etc etc?

A True Macro Lens in my humble opinion achieves 1:1 magnification at its minimum focussing distance.

Ade_Osman
26 Jul 2012 - 4:57 PM

I've started summat here haven't I?.....Whoops Wink

Ade

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93455 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jul 2012 - 4:58 PM

Internal focus lenses like the Nikon 105mm VR actually play with the focal length as they approach 1:1, so that the extension is built in. So at 1:1, the 105 is actually more like a 55mm with equal extension. The difference is, you don't have to adjust your position every time you refocus like you would with a telescoping lens barrel.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jul 2012 - 4:59 PM

Quote: A True Macro Lens in my humble opinion achieves 1:1 magnification at its minimum focussing distance.

Canon doesn't share your opinion! Wink

User_Removed
26 Jul 2012 - 5:00 PM

Quote: My Canon 50mm Macro has 0.5x maximum magnification, so would need an extension tube for 1:1.

If you wanted to achieve true 1:1 what size tube would you put on? 12mm 25mm.......etc etc?

A True Macro Lens in my humble opinion achieves 1:1 magnification at its minimum focussing distance.

Must agree with lawbert. It is probably an offence under the Trade Description Act (or whatever superseded it) to describe a lens as "macro" if it cannot attain 1:1 images. (i.e. on the sensor, the image will be life-size)

But, in those days of multi-maxi-megapixel sensors, it is maybe becoming a bit academic. Many of us, to achieve acceptable depth of field in an ultra-close-up shot will take it from farther away than could provide that 1:1 image on the sensor. And then we go and crop it and print it at many times life size.

So, is the term "macro" not only misused but also, perhaps, redundant. If I make a print of a bumble bee that, on the paper, is 12" long and is sharp and clear, does it really matter whether it was blown up from a macro digital file or a "semi-macro" digital file? I suspect that, for 99% of us, it does not.

lawbert
26 Jul 2012 - 5:01 PM

Quote: I've started summat here haven't I?.....Whoops Wink

Your alright Ade!!,
Im sure somewhere amonst the menus and reviews here there will be a clear and precise answerTongue

Carabosse
26 Jul 2012 - 5:04 PM

Quote: It is probably an offence under the Trade Description Act (or whatever superseded it) to describe a lens as "macro" if it cannot attain 1:1 images

I doubt that very much! My Canon Macro (0.5x) has 'macro' engraved on the lens.

Macro means different things to different people. Almost every compact has a macro mode but very few if any achieve 1:1.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.