Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Macro mode vs crop?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    BJrks
    BJrks 
    16 Mar 2014 - 10:55 PM

Hi,

I'm new to interchangeable lens cameras and recently bought the X-A1 along with the 35mm 1.4 lens.

I want to get closer to my subjects (kids), so I'm wondering what is the best solution for this. I see the X-A1 has a macro mode (can't try it at the moment) and I've also read about cropping. I can't afford to buy another lens, and won't be able to for quite some time.

Any advice for achieving the above?

Regards,
    BJ

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 Mar 2014 - 10:55 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

discreetphoton
    discreetphoton Site Moderator 93453 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Mar 2014 - 6:19 AM

in short, I'm afraid macro mode will only work over very short distances, so you'll have be close them to use it anyway, and cropping strips resolution. The best solution is to use your feet to control zoom wherever possible.
    That may not seem helpful, but using a fixed focal length will help you learn the basics of positioning and composition, which is really important.

tanyard
    tanyard  7105 forum posts United Kingdom
    13 Aug 2014 - 11:44 AM

The macro facility doesn't get in particularly close. It would be better relabelled 'close-up', but it will produce better definition than a major crop. That said, it depends on how big you want to blow up your final image.

On another note, I haven't yet looked at this in connection with my XPro 1, but closeup filters may be worth exploring. Using the electronic viewfinder, you will see what the lens sees and it's a really cheap alternative.

MichaelMelb_AU
    13 Aug 2014 - 1:24 PM

Congratulations on your new camera, it is a great one! Now to your question. You need to see the difference between macro and tele. Macro works to make the camera focus closer than it may normally do. That is not the problem you may experience photographing kids.

Tele- works quite opposite, it allows to take larger photos from further distance, nor closer as macro will. And it is what you will need.

How you will do it? With the lens you have at present - only by following a great advice from discreet... above.

Other options include:
    1.Longer focal distance lens ( say 60 or 85mm - great for portrait);
    2.tele- converter (adapter) between the lens and the camera. These may be not available for your camera though or cost almost as much as a lens.
    3. Crop, you right here. But mind it you cannot crop too much without seeing a loss in image quality. Experiment to see how much is available.

Cheers!

Last Modified By MichaelMelb_AU at 13 Aug 2014 - 1:27 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.