Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Macro photography

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    rosscoe
    rosscoe  11
    15 Nov 2002 - 7:14 PM

I want to buy a digital camera. First and foremost I would like to take pictures of small insects (5-20mm), therefore, I need a camera with a good macro facility. I would like to know what the best digital camera on the market is in this respect? The macro facility of the Ricoh cameras is very good and is the best I have seen. Even their cheap (170) Caplio RR120 can focus as close as 2.5cm. I am looking to spend about 250, but will consider spending more for a good piece of kit

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    15 Nov 2002 - 7:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318432 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Nov 2002 - 10:15 PM

Ricoh and Nikon have the best close focus although attachment lenses can be added to others.

Will
    Will  121788 forum posts United Kingdom
    15 Nov 2002 - 10:36 PM

Welcome to ePHOTOzine Ross!
    Don't forget to check out our close-up/macro technique section.

sallybea
    sallybea  441 forum posts United Kingdom
    12 May 2010 - 10:35 PM

Hi All, I am fairly new to photography, belong to my local photographic club where I have been surprised to see that even new members can sometimes compete with the oldies. I am totally bitten by the bug, literally. I have started getting really close to them my new macro lens. It has been a real eye opener, fascinating to discover that behind the lens of my camera I am starting to begin to recognise that even little critters have the most fascinating behaviour patterns. I can't wait to get out there again soon! Cheers Sally

cambirder
    cambirder  107202 forum posts England
    12 May 2010 - 11:22 PM

Quote: I would like to know what the best digital camera on the market is in this respect?

Any DSLR plus a macro lens, if you have the budget.

Chrism8
    Chrism8  7742 forum posts England13 Constructive Critique Points
    13 May 2010 - 5:55 PM

Quote: Any DSLR plus a macro lens, if you have the budget.

Not forgetting the decent Tripod plus an electronic release and plenty of patience !

Chris

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318432 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    13 May 2010 - 6:00 PM

Quote: I am starting to begin to recognise that even little critters have the most fascinating behaviour patterns. I can't wait to get out there again soon!

The view through a macro lens can be a real eye opener...glad you're enjoying it Sally and warm welcome to ePHOTOzine Smile

Last Modified By Pete at 13 May 2010 - 6:01 PM
    lawbert
    lawbert  71684 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
    13 May 2010 - 6:22 PM

Quote:
    The view through a macro lens can be a real eye opener...glad you're enjoying it Sally and warm welcome to ePHOTOzine Smile

I would totally agree with the above, the welcome and the view through a Macro lense really does open up a whole new world that you would otherwise walk by without a second look.

Macro is a fascinating element of photography and its now that all the insects are waking up and hatching so its a great time of year to get started.

randyy
    randyy  4
    15 May 2010 - 11:20 AM

Hello,

You have to use a macro lens for this type of photography. I think Nikon provide good camera's of this type. so i think you have to go with that. but the budget of these kind of camera is little bit higher than others.

good luck

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 15 May 2010 - 5:18 PM
    User_Removed
    15 May 2010 - 12:56 PM

Quote: The view through a macro lens can be a real eye opener...glad you're enjoying it Sally and warm welcome to ePHOTOzine Smile

I would totally agree with the above, the welcome and the view through a Macro lense really does open up a whole new world that you would otherwise walk by without a second look.

Macro is a fascinating element of photography and its now that all the insects are waking up and hatching so its a great time of year to get started.

Take it a set further and get into Photomicroscopy Wink

Most point and shoots have really good macro features, the Caplio RR120 you mentioned even though cheap has quite good macro performance. So its really down to your personal preference and trying out in store!

lawbert
    lawbert  71684 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
    15 May 2010 - 6:39 PM

I used to have a Canon Powershot S2 is which had a very good macro facility which I bought an adapter for and was able to use Raynox close focus filters.
    Im not sure of the Current Canon line up but I believe the prefix for the range now is powershot sx......
    They are well worth looking into beacuse as you progress you will have a system that you can expand and build upon as you wish.

Thincat
    Thincat  7616 forum posts
    17 May 2010 - 9:41 PM

Like Cambirder said, to do real macro you need a DSLR and a macro lens - not cheap. A DSLR with a dedicated macro lens will get you a 1:1 image - so the image is the same size on the sensor as in real life. If you use extension tubes you can go further. I don't think there are any compact cameras that do better than 1:4 - I could be wrong, but I haven't seen any. You can of course get closer by adding a close-up lens. HAving said that there are advantages to the small sensor compacts. They have a much bigger depth of field and DOF is the killer for macro photography using DSLRs. You end up having to use tiny apertures to get the insect in focus and, to get a fast enough exposure, you often need ring flashes. Nothing is simple.

BigRick
    BigRick  82085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    17 May 2010 - 9:46 PM

I love that people are ... again... answering the OP even though the post was about 8 years ago .... i know that the new member might have just wanted to comment on the topic,, but giving advice about what camera to get might be missing the boat....... maybe the DATE POSTED should be made bigger Tongue Wink Smile

paperboy
    paperboy  4208 forum posts
    17 May 2010 - 10:23 PM

You mean this isn't 2002.......damn I hate it when I lose 8 years. Last time was in the 60s'.

sallybea
    sallybea  441 forum posts United Kingdom
    20 May 2010 - 7:06 PM

Good old Rick, lovely that you have a sense of humour - trust a newby to not have noticed that she had missed 8 years of her life without even noticing it. The time sure goes by when you are having fun!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.