Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Macro Photography and Good Bokeh

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Bee76
    Bee76  3 England
    2 Mar 2013 - 11:59 AM

Hi, I'm hoping some of you photoshop wizards can help with this or if you know another poster who might could you direct their attention towards this post please....

I'm gonna spend some time this year on developing my macro skills - as they are severely lacking. I particularly like flowers and bugs and as well as Mandy D on here that produces excellent work I've also come across Magda Wasiczek whose work I love. I was just wondering how you would reproduce the kind of bokeh that Magda displays in some of her images such as Stories from the Meadow or Blue Rhapsody? There are plenty of others in her work which are different.

Is it all in camera technique or through post processing? FYI, I'm aware of the basic technique of creating a bokeh canvas by creating a bokeh brush and using a new gradient but I've been unable to fiddle with the brush settings to get anything similar to Magda's work so far.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
    Barney

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    2 Mar 2013 - 11:59 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

chalkhillblue
    chalkhillblue e2 Member 5143 forum postschalkhillblue vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Mar 2013 - 1:40 PM

Hello Barney
    I too enjoy Magda's work, the link below will give you an insight as to how she works,
    http://121clicks.com/showcases/nature-photography-by-magdalena-wasiczek
    Not much photoshop wizardry by the look of it, a good eye for her subject and hard work.
    I also enjoy the work of MandyD and JackyP, who both had successes in the International
    Garden Photographer of the Year 2012, well worth you looking at the competition winners pages
    on their website, some excellent work there.
    Hope this helps.
    David

akh
    akh e2 Member 101138 forum postsakh vcard United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Mar 2013 - 3:35 PM

Personally I find that it is a combination of camera technique as well as some post processing. The use of large apertures (f/2.8 or f/3.5) will throw the background out of focus but you will need some careful focusing as your depth of field will be quite shallow. Judicial use of Gaussian blur can also help to isolate your subject from the background. For example:

090621-028.jpg

In the case of Magda's work she seems to use some older lenses which could give a softer image and photographing early in the day with all of that out of focus dew lends a magical air to her work.
    Tony

thewilliam
    2 Mar 2013 - 3:49 PM

To some extent, bokeh is determined by the design of the lens.

Take a look at the MTF curve for the lens. If the saggital and meridional lines are close together, the lens will probably give you a pleasing bokeh.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.