Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

macro photography equipment for disabled person

ryuneo e2
9 59
2 Sep 2014 2:42PM
Hello

I have a Canon 600 camera and I would like to start doing macro photography. I also have a disability where I have no use of my hands. I would like a complete set up so I can control everything through my computer. Canon have a great setup so I can do this. I'm wondering what the best lense would be for my needs? The Canada 100 macro lens seems to be good. I know there are two different models, one with a stabiliser and one without a stabiliser. As I will be using the lens on a tripod I don't think I will need the stabiliser? Also is the stabiliser the only feature on the latest model of this lens?

I'm also wondering what kind of lighting I would need to get the best possible lighting. Should I get some kind of lightbox with lights that go through the white material? Or would you recommend investing in a ring flash?

I also want to get some photography of different insects and the critters in my marine aquarium.

I'm hoping to be able to sell these on my canvas printing website when I get enough http://ryuprint.co.uk/

Any help would be much appreciated

Regards, Ryan

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2014 3:17PM
You can use programs on your computer or a tablet to control the camera.
If you are using a tripod you are correct thatyou will not need the IS version of the lens, and the non-IS version is just as good for image quality.

Ring flashes can be pretty good but look for ones where you can adjust the balance of light from left and right - this will leave some shadow to give a feeling of texture and depth. I am using standard flash units myself with a small softbox on them.

One thing you may want to think about is a focus rail because it will enable you to do focus stacking to overcome the shallow depth of field that you get with high magnifications of things like insects. If money is no object then you can get computerised versions that you do not need to mess around with bolts and crank mechanisms. But I would start simple and build from there because it can get (a) addictive and (b) expensive!

PS For someone who has no use of their hands you have an awesome portfolio!! Good luck with it all.
ryuneo e2
9 59
2 Sep 2014 3:36PM
thank you very much for the reply, if I can get something to control it from my iPad that would be awesome as I have full control of my iPad! I'm also a keen gardener so I can take it outside. I think the Liens that I'm going to go for is this one http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/products/canon/ef-100mm-f2-8-macro-usm-lens-11110/show.html

Although I can probably get it a lot cheaper from eBay

with regards to a ring flash, which one would you recommend? Can this also be controlled from the tablet? there seem to be many different options

Thank you very much for the comments on my portfolio, much appreciated
2 Sep 2014 3:48PM
I am afraid I cannot help with your query, but I did take a look at your portfolio and it is incredible!

I have to agree with mikehit
Fantastic work!

Andy
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2014 3:53PM
If you want to use flashes off-camera you can trigger them either using the on-camera flash or by buying a set of radio triggers (20 and up) and by controlling the camera you are also controlling the flash. If I recall correctly the 600D enables you to control the flash output from the camera which should simplify things, but you will need to check that.
The more expensive radio triggers also give you 'ETTL' metering where the camera adjusts flash output to get the illumination you want.

The tablet app you need is DSLR controller
http://dslrcontroller.com/

The price for the 100mm f2.8 you posted to looks reasonable.
ryuneo e2
9 59
2 Sep 2014 4:00PM
thank you very much andy
ryuneo e2
9 59
2 Sep 2014 5:27PM
thanks for the feedback, with regards to the flash I'm thinking of getting a ringflash. Would you recommend these compare to normal ones. that app seems interesting, does it completely let you control the camera or just the view?
ensign e2
7 191 1 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2014 5:56PM
Hi ryuneo,

Not sure if your in the UK.If so may I suggest the Disabled Photographers Society (DPS). They may be able to assist. Your work looks great.
Bernard.
ryuneo e2
9 59
2 Sep 2014 6:07PM
thank you, yes I am in the United Kingdom, I've just tried e-mailing the disabled photographers Society Smile thanks for the recommendation and also the comments on my work
gary_d 7 575 13 Wales
2 Sep 2014 7:43PM
I have used both the Canon macro lens you mention and if you are going to use it on a tripod the non IS version is a superb lens and will do the job perfectly and the cash you save will go toward the other gear you need.
gary_d 7 575 13 Wales
2 Sep 2014 7:44PM
Just took a quick look at your portfolio and I am blown away, I will be spending more time looking when I have the time.
ryuneo e2
9 59
2 Sep 2014 7:55PM
Items for the feedback Gary, I'm definitely going to get that lens. With regards to a flash I want to photograph flowers and close-up shots of insect. What would you recommend for this? I'm thinking of getting this one http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/products/nissin/mf18-macro-ring-flash-for-canon-85583/show.html

Thanks for the comments on my portfolio
gary_d 7 575 13 Wales
2 Sep 2014 11:10PM
I have a ring flash that I find great, I will come back to you tomorrow with the model.
lemmy 7 2.0k United Kingdom
2 Sep 2014 11:44PM
The Panasonic Micro Four Thirds cameras offer full control of all paramers and remote monitor from the iPad and my be worth a look.

Olympus do a beautiful macro for the system. I use a Metz 15 MS-1 flash with the outfit which offers versatile round lens and remote wireless flash.

I understand that you probably don't want to change systems so I suggest what I do only to show what the very latest technology in cameras can do and how useful it can be to someone in your position.
Chris_L e2
1.5k United Kingdom
2 Sep 2014 11:57PM
Ryuneo, did you install the EOS utility from the disc that came with your camera?

You can control shutter speed, aperture, flash exposure compensation, white balance etc etc from Windows or Mac

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.