Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Made in China

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

filmforever
24 Apr 2011 - 6:29 PM

A BBC news item today, disgusted me. A group of Chinese Christians were attempting to hold an Easter Service in Beijing, when they were set upon by communist party thugs and hauled away, under arrest on board a number of coaches. Apparently, holding a Christian service in China, is considered a "threat" to the communist system, and any such attempt is habitually stamped out by the communist party jackboot.

Now I'm not a regular practising Christian, but this kind of "big brother" repression, appalls me, in the same way that Mugabe and Gadaffi appall me. The notion put about by politicians that giving them the Olympics last time round, would lead to a more democratic China, was complete "Pie in the Sky".

We sometimes forget, in this commercial world, what a thoroughly repressive regime China is. My answer to this is, whenever I see the words "Made in China"...I walk away. Many electrical goods, including photographic accessories are these days sourced from China. Before purchasing such goods, just because they are cheaper, people might like to think twice about the kind of regime they are contributing towards.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Apr 2011 - 6:29 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keith selmes
24 Apr 2011 - 8:15 PM

Quote: whenever I see the words "Made in China"...I walk away.

well, there's one person who won't be buying an ipad Smile

devlin
devlin  4651 forum posts India39 Constructive Critique Points
24 Apr 2011 - 8:25 PM

Quote: Before purchasing such goods, just because they are cheaper, people might like to think twice about the kind of regime they are contributing towards.

I dont think thats going to be very easy to do, many components used in a lot of electrical products (apple for one example) are sourced from either China or Taiwan....and sometimes you wont even come to know its been sourced from there.....going by this logic you should also not buy clothes made and exported from third world countries due to labor exploitation but is there a choice ?? Unless one wants to live like a hermit Smile

Last Modified By devlin at 24 Apr 2011 - 8:26 PM
filmforever
24 Apr 2011 - 8:31 PM

[quote.well, there's one person who won't be buying an ipad Smile
[/quote]

Correct.

filmforever
24 Apr 2011 - 8:38 PM

Quote:
I dont think thats going to be very easy to do, many components used in a lot of electrical products (apple for one example) are sourced from either China or Taiwan....and sometimes you wont even come to know its been sourced from there.....going by this logic you should also not buy clothes made and exported from third world countries due to labor exploitation but is there a choice ?? Unless one wants to live like a hermit Smile

Obviously it's difficult with components that go to make up an item, that may or may not be sourced from China....With clothing, there is a choice. When I went to renew my (formerly British made) walking boots, and I found out they were now made in China, I purchased an excellent pair of Italian made boots, there was little price difference.

devlin
devlin  4651 forum posts India39 Constructive Critique Points
24 Apr 2011 - 8:42 PM

yeah i guess if you have a choice then all power to you Grin....i woudnt even know where to go to buy Italian made shoes in my country which of course is irrelevant cause i probably wont be able to afford em either Smile

filmforever
24 Apr 2011 - 8:47 PM

Quote: Yeah i guess if you have a choice then all power to you Grin....i woudnt even know where to go to buy Italian made shoes in my country which of course is irrelevant cause i probably wont be able to afford em either Smile

Sorry wasn't aware of the country you are in.

Eastlands
Eastlands e2 Member 3649 forum postsEastlands vcard Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
24 Apr 2011 - 9:24 PM

Why are so many people getting upset about events in China ?

Yes it is wrong that people are denied their basic human rights but to say you won't buy Chinese goods is nonsense given the exploitation of people in our own country. There are people in virtual slavery in the UK but we don't say "don't buy British".

filmforever
24 Apr 2011 - 10:49 PM

Quote: Why are so many people getting upset about events in China ?

Yes it is wrong that people are denied their basic human rights but to say you won't buy Chinese goods is nonsense given the exploitation of people in our own country. There are people in virtual slavery in the UK but we don't say "don't buy British".

Oh come on.........people living in Britain or any western country, have no concept of what real slavery or poverty is.

cantona43
cantona43 e2 Member 9885 forum postscantona43 vcard England4 Constructive Critique Points
24 Apr 2011 - 11:09 PM

Quote: Oh come on.........people living in Britain or any western country, have no concept of what real slavery or poverty is.

Ask the families of the poor souls who lost there lives on Morecambe Bay, oh remind me was it not a Chinese gangster that slaved them so yes it does happen in Britain

filmforever
24 Apr 2011 - 11:26 PM

Quote:

Ask the families of the poor souls who lost there lives on Morecambe Bay, oh remind me was it not a Chinese gangster that slaved them so yes it does happen in Britain

These were people who came here in an attempt to escape the conditions back in their native land, as hundreds of thousands try to do every year. The fact they fell into the hands of illegal gangmasters, is not an indication of state approved eradication of human rights in this country. Some years ago little Victoria Colombie from Nigeria suffered a horrible death at the hands of her African "uncle & auntie".. but this does not indicate a situation of state slavery here...It's an imported African problem.

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
24 Apr 2011 - 11:30 PM

Quote: Oh come on.........people living in Britain or any western country, have no concept of what real slavery or poverty is

I'm sure quite a few do.

Just an aside. My Irish brother-in-law who'd lived in Ireland since a child, had a little leprechaun ornament for years. He showed me the writing underneath it, as it was in Irish (which I had recently learned after moving to Ireland).

It said "an tSin tir a dheanta" (with a few accents thrown in). I had to disappoint him and tell him it said "made in China" Smile

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023041 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
26 Apr 2011 - 7:46 AM

There are in the region of 37,000 churches and an estimated 50 million christians in China.

filmforever
26 Apr 2011 - 10:32 AM

[quote]There are in the region of 37,000 churches and an estimated 50 million christians in China.

Yet the Chinese authorities seem to think this proportion of the population represents a "threat", when all they were seeking to do was to hold an Easter service.

Perhaps it's an indication of how fragile they feel their grip on power is, that they have to enact the Communist Jackboot everytime they gather.

thewilliam
26 Apr 2011 - 11:36 AM

They probably remember 1989, when communism collapsed in the old Soviet empire. No dictatorship can last for ever.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.