Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here


Made in China


filmforever 7 695
24 Apr 2011 6:29PM
A BBC news item today, disgusted me. A group of Chinese Christians were attempting to hold an Easter Service in Beijing, when they were set upon by communist party thugs and hauled away, under arrest on board a number of coaches. Apparently, holding a Christian service in China, is considered a "threat" to the communist system, and any such attempt is habitually stamped out by the communist party jackboot.

Now I'm not a regular practising Christian, but this kind of "big brother" repression, appalls me, in the same way that Mugabe and Gadaffi appall me. The notion put about by politicians that giving them the Olympics last time round, would lead to a more democratic China, was complete "Pie in the Sky".

We sometimes forget, in this commercial world, what a thoroughly repressive regime China is. My answer to this is, whenever I see the words "Made in China"...I walk away. Many electrical goods, including photographic accessories are these days sourced from China. Before purchasing such goods, just because they are cheaper, people might like to think twice about the kind of regime they are contributing towards.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
24 Apr 2011 8:15PM

Quote:whenever I see the words "Made in China"...I walk away.
well, there's one person who won't be buying an ipad Smile
devlin 4 651 39 India
24 Apr 2011 8:25PM

Quote:Before purchasing such goods, just because they are cheaper, people might like to think twice about the kind of regime they are contributing towards.


I dont think thats going to be very easy to do, many components used in a lot of electrical products (apple for one example) are sourced from either China or Taiwan....and sometimes you wont even come to know its been sourced from there.....going by this logic you should also not buy clothes made and exported from third world countries due to labor exploitation but is there a choice ?? Unless one wants to live like a hermit Smile
filmforever 7 695
24 Apr 2011 8:31PM
[quote.well, there's one person who won't be buying an ipad Smile



Correct.
filmforever 7 695
24 Apr 2011 8:38PM

Quote:
I dont think thats going to be very easy to do, many components used in a lot of electrical products (apple for one example) are sourced from either China or Taiwan....and sometimes you wont even come to know its been sourced from there.....going by this logic you should also not buy clothes made and exported from third world countries due to labor exploitation but is there a choice ?? Unless one wants to live like a hermit Smile



Obviously it's difficult with components that go to make up an item, that may or may not be sourced from China....With clothing, there is a choice. When I went to renew my (formerly British made) walking boots, and I found out they were now made in China, I purchased an excellent pair of Italian made boots, there was little price difference.
devlin 4 651 39 India
24 Apr 2011 8:42PM
yeah i guess if you have a choice then all power to you Grin....i woudnt even know where to go to buy Italian made shoes in my country which of course is irrelevant cause i probably wont be able to afford em either Smile
filmforever 7 695
24 Apr 2011 8:47PM

Quote:Yeah i guess if you have a choice then all power to you Grin....i woudnt even know where to go to buy Italian made shoes in my country which of course is irrelevant cause i probably wont be able to afford em either Smile


Sorry wasn't aware of the country you are in.
Eastlands e2
4 659 3 Northern Ireland
24 Apr 2011 9:24PM
Why are so many people getting upset about events in China ?

Yes it is wrong that people are denied their basic human rights but to say you won't buy Chinese goods is nonsense given the exploitation of people in our own country. There are people in virtual slavery in the UK but we don't say "don't buy British".
filmforever 7 695
24 Apr 2011 10:49PM

Quote:Why are so many people getting upset about events in China ?

Yes it is wrong that people are denied their basic human rights but to say you won't buy Chinese goods is nonsense given the exploitation of people in our own country. There are people in virtual slavery in the UK but we don't say "don't buy British".



Oh come on.........people living in Britain or any western country, have no concept of what real slavery or poverty is.
cantona43 e2
9 890 4 England
24 Apr 2011 11:09PM

Quote:Oh come on.........people living in Britain or any western country, have no concept of what real slavery or poverty is.


Ask the families of the poor souls who lost there lives on Morecambe Bay, oh remind me was it not a Chinese gangster that slaved them so yes it does happen in Britain
filmforever 7 695
24 Apr 2011 11:26PM

Quote:

Ask the families of the poor souls who lost there lives on Morecambe Bay, oh remind me was it not a Chinese gangster that slaved them so yes it does happen in Britain



These were people who came here in an attempt to escape the conditions back in their native land, as hundreds of thousands try to do every year. The fact they fell into the hands of illegal gangmasters, is not an indication of state approved eradication of human rights in this country. Some years ago little Victoria Colombie from Nigeria suffered a horrible death at the hands of her African "uncle & auntie".. but this does not indicate a situation of state slavery here...It's an imported African problem.
Tooth 9 5.8k 227 Ireland
24 Apr 2011 11:30PM

Quote:Oh come on.........people living in Britain or any western country, have no concept of what real slavery or poverty is


I'm sure quite a few do.

Just an aside. My Irish brother-in-law who'd lived in Ireland since a child, had a little leprechaun ornament for years. He showed me the writing underneath it, as it was in Irish (which I had recently learned after moving to Ireland).

It said "an tSin tir a dheanta" (with a few accents thrown in). I had to disappoint him and tell him it said "made in China" Smile
keithh e2
10 23.2k 33 Wallis And Futuna
26 Apr 2011 7:46AM
There are in the region of 37,000 churches and an estimated 50 million christians in China.
filmforever 7 695
26 Apr 2011 10:32AM

Quote:There are in the region of 37,000 churches and an estimated 50 million christians in China.

Yet the Chinese authorities seem to think this proportion of the population represents a "threat", when all they were seeking to do was to hold an Easter service.

Perhaps it's an indication of how fragile they feel their grip on power is, that they have to enact the Communist Jackboot everytime they gather.

thewilliam 6 4.7k
26 Apr 2011 11:36AM
They probably remember 1989, when communism collapsed in the old Soviet empire. No dictatorship can last for ever.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.