Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Major new ePHOTOzine feature - PHOTO MAPS

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318446 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
22 Oct 2008 - 11:31 AM

We have just introduced a new Photo Map feature. The idea of this is that you can now tag all your photographs with a grid reference, using Google maps. Then when anyone searches your area they will find your photos.

The feature lets you search by location, or just browse the map. You can also choose to search for specific pictures in an area, for example, Bluebells in Worksop. Or search specific category, Black & White in London maybe.

To make it work well your gallery photos need to be set to a location on the Google map. This can be done when you upload or when you edit a photo. To make it easier we've included a GEO tagging feature. Go to your profile, scroll down the grey list to "Geotag My Photos" and click on the link. This takes you to a page showing the Google Map and a list of all your Geotagged photos. Simple scroll the map to the location zoom in to get a very specific location. Make sure the specific spot is in the centre of the screen and under the small square cursor and click the Copy Coordinates box alongside the photo you are wanting to Geotag. The grid reference will appear in the longitude and latitude windows. Repeat this with any other photos.

It's also good if the photos are tagged with suitable searchable keywords, hopefully you've been doing that with all your existing photos, but the edit feature allows you to go back and add keyword tags.

The feature appears in the Photos drop down menu: Photo Map Gallery
Enjoy Smile

When you first click on the map it will centre on the postcode you have in your profile. If you don't feel comfortable with a postcode and haven't included one it will go to your town (if set), or country (if set).

Last Modified By Pete at 22 Oct 2008 - 11:36 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Oct 2008 - 11:31 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

aftertherain
22 Oct 2008 - 11:37 AM

Now that's a great feature Smile

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318446 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
22 Oct 2008 - 11:39 AM

Quote: Now that's a great feature

Thank you, and it's for all not just e2 members Smile

jeanie
jeanie e2 Member 105968 forum postsjeanie vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
22 Oct 2008 - 11:42 AM

I like!

When I click on the link, it shows me my home area by default. I typed in "Blackpool" to see if pre-tagged photos would display but I got an error;

"Page Not Found 404
Home > ePHOTOzine > Page Not Found 404
The page you are looking for cannot be found. This error has been logged.
"

Is it something I have done? Do I have to put the grid co-ordinates in first on the images? (excuse my ignorance!!)

Last Modified By jeanie at 22 Oct 2008 - 11:43 AM
Overread
Overread  63769 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
22 Oct 2008 - 11:44 AM

its goes to Shenly Lodge; Silicon Ct -- if you don't have a location set - I wonder who lives there?

Great feature - glad it added for all members and not just e2 Smile
Also glad about the point you made with regard to tags - was going to say that the map needed a comments box just after the coordinates (especially for wildlife parks and such) but your point on tags covers that. Smile

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93453 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
22 Oct 2008 - 11:50 AM

Such a good feature Pete, I can see this being really useful.

conrad
conrad  1010876 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
22 Oct 2008 - 11:53 AM

Excellent idea.

Although ... it's going to take me ages to tag my photos! (Sigh!)

exposure
exposure e2 Member 101392 forum postsexposure vcard England
22 Oct 2008 - 11:53 AM

Brilliant a great Idea Pete

NikH
NikH  10524 forum posts England
22 Oct 2008 - 11:54 AM

Great idea - but it's a bit awkward when trying to geo tag your own photos - best illustrated with an example...

I want to tag all my photos from a particular location in Wales, but these are spread throughout my gallery. I move the map to the right location and click "save coordinates" against the photos showing below the map.

All fine so far. I click "save changes" but the map then jumps back to my default location, so I now need to find the same location again once I've moved onto page 2, 3, 4 etc of my gallery. Same default jump back on the map also happens whenever you move to another page of your gallery pics.

Can you set the Google map so it stays wherever you've put it when you either "save changes" or move to another gallery page?

Also, would be easier to have a small thumbnail of each picture showing - at present it only shows the picture title, which doesn't always help - bit of a pain if you've to click through each time to figure out where you took the picture.

...otherwise fab idea!!

uggyy
uggyy  82104 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
22 Oct 2008 - 12:00 PM

Peaches and Cream Smile

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014148 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
22 Oct 2008 - 12:01 PM

A great new addition & seems to work well...shame it uses Google maps - though perhaps I am alone in hating Google maps Wink

Quote: All fine so far. I click "save changes" but the map then jumps back to my default location, so I now need to find the same location again once I've moved onto page 2, 3, 4 etc of my gallery. Same default jump back on the map also happens whenever you move to another page of your gallery pics.

Agree with that!

Overread
Overread  63769 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
22 Oct 2008 - 12:03 PM

hmm I just added a few shots for the BWC (British Wildlife Centre) near Lingfield - yet when I tried the map search it shows no photos in that area

edit - I think the search is being too good/specific. I experimented and the shots I mapped will show for Newchaple (which the dot is closer to) but not for lingfield or any other nearby town. Would it be possible to broaden the power of the seach to a more wide area view? Considering that a lot of photos won't be taken in a town but in the countryside surrounding a broader view might be a better approach --- again if this is at all possible

Last Modified By Overread at 22 Oct 2008 - 12:10 PM
fauxtography
22 Oct 2008 - 12:09 PM

Is there any way you can link in to search google maps for a location rather than having to scroll around the map to find it?

NikH
NikH  10524 forum posts England
22 Oct 2008 - 12:10 PM

You do have to zoom in pretty close and set one of the filters below I believe - have found a couple of mine that I tagged.

Just noticed that on the Google maps when you find a location it pops up with the photo titles - if you hover over them you get a small floating thumbnail of the pic - can this same facility be used when tagging your own pics?

funkeldink
funkeldink  101592 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
22 Oct 2008 - 12:13 PM

love this concept

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.