Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Make my studying fun! :D topic: American revolution

shadow18 e2
3 406 England
28 Sep 2012 3:14PM
Sooo... Right now I am studying to take my united states history 1 test. The way I study is through an online program where I concentrate on one class at a time, study hardcore for about 2 weeks, then take the final! Each is worth a one semester class. So, now that I told you all that boring stuff, I was wondering if you all, ( my amazing British friends) Grin would make my studying more fun and interesting!! Smile
I'm studying about the American revolution right now, studying all the acts the British gov passed, the things we did in response, etc. my studies focus a lot on cause and effect and some social history. There is also a bit of traditional history of memorizing people, dates, and things like that.
But I've learned about my American perspective since kindergarten! So I was wondering what some of your views are about the revolution? Were we viewed like a pesky little rebellious child colony? Nowadays, in history books, is our rebellion considered ridiculous or justified? What do most British people think of it now? Maybe you view us a little like I view the south? Like, to me, of course, I would love a southerner individually and there's no hard feeling from a civil war that was 150 years ago! But I do see southerers as a stereotype of rambunctious, sloppy, funny-talking people! Grin
Soo, please give me some interesting feedback!!! Im just sitting all day studying and studying and studying!! I would like a break from the books, but still kinda "studying" Wink
Thank you, awesome British friends!! Wink Grin

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

28 Sep 2012 3:19PM
Return our colonies and we will eventually forgive you!
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
28 Sep 2012 3:28PM
You still owe us back taxes from 1776 onwards. Once these are paid further discussions can begin. Wink
emmaK22 e2
3 89 United Kingdom
28 Sep 2012 3:33PM
Having studied the American revolution, you have to remember that the American colonies came from all over Europe in the first place. When America broke away as a nation, there were several real reasons why they did this.

Firstly, the English were taking liberties with American resources, such as the vast forests in the north. Eventually those immigrants that had moved to America felt that it was time to sever links to England once and for all and fully branch off on their own.

Overall I don't think that the Americans were seen as pesky, only a people wanting to break free form the ties and bounds of a home nation that was issuing rules that were increasingly irrelevant to the ways that the colonists were living.

That is a very simplified account of events but I hope it helps in some way.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
28 Sep 2012 3:34PM
We had a fruitloop for a king who decided we needed extra revenue to boost the warchest and the gradual move into India, The American colonies, who had been started by people trying to escape the religious tyranny of said monarch, had a bit of the rebellious teenage angst (Why me? You don't like me, you never understood me, leave me alone, I hate you) and threw daddy's favourite tea into the canal in a tantrum. Then stormed off and wrote 'house rules according to Dennis the Menace' and declared the bedroom your own property with 'no parents allowed'.
Meanwhile those pesky French were playing the part of the naughty boys down the road leading you into all sorts of scrapes where they seemed much more fun than daddy who knew better. But in the end you realised they were merely in it for their own ends and not really much fun either (which left those Frenchies wondering why no-one loves them) and decided that you were gown up enough to look after yourselves. So you left home and tried to set up by yourself. Meanwhile the Frenchies retreated South and helped foster the rowdy southerners you love so much. Or to Canada where no-one loves them.
So after a bit of a family squabble the Brits realised that they could not control you so left you alone, believing you would see the error if your ways and move back in. Of course, since then the rebellious kid has realised they made a mistake but is too damned sulky to admit it out loud. And sits there quietly while daddy quietly goes senile and starts every sentence with "of course, when I were a lad..."
montechoro e2
12 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
28 Sep 2012 4:03PM
One quote from Andrew Jackson, 7th President of the United States (1767 - 1845) which I have always remembered since my school days is "One man with courage makes a majority".

It is surprising how many times I have reflected on that quotation over the years.

I have seen people keep quiet on serious matters when they should have spoken up and I have seen courageous people suffer and be vilified for speaking up.
shadow18 e2
3 406 England
28 Sep 2012 6:01PM
Thanks for all your responses!! Grin I love to see things from different perspectives! And I like talking to people! I get bored if I don't! Smile
Lol, Mike, that's a hilarious way to describe the whole saga! Grin I suppose the analogy of a parent and a teenager kinda works well. Ben Franklin also used it!
"We have an old mother that peevish is grown;/ She snubs us like children that scare walk alone;/ She forgets we're grown up and have sense of our own." Wink

It's interesting, the perspective of each after the war. Like, to me, it has always been our grand beginning, our birth, a romanticized kind of beginning to America's greatness. To Britain, however, like you said, they believed we would come back after we realized we were rebellious little teenagers. Also, I think at the time, it wasn't as huge a deal because Britain had so many other colonies. During the war, you were involved in other, seemingly more important things, so you didn't put a full effort into putting down the American revolution.

Looking from the British perspective also, we were really pretty spoiled when it came to taxes, especially since Britain was the highest taxed people in the world!
I am not completely decided, but I do believe the Boston tea party was uncalled for. I wonder what I would've thought if I had lived back then. I think that maybe I would've been a loyalist at least until the "Intolerable acts" because of the Quebec Act that was part of them that threatened the religious freedom the pilgrims and others had come for. Of course, I never can say what I would've done for certain because I wasn't there, so I don't really know.
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
28 Sep 2012 11:44PM
Be careful when you talk about the religious freedoms of the pilgrims. In fact they were very much AGAINST religious freedoms & wanted religious totalitarianism; on their terms only of course. That's one of the main reasons they left Britain. The echos of that still resonate today in the "religious right" in the US.
shadow18 e2
3 406 England
29 Sep 2012 2:21AM
Aww, man! I made everybody not want to talk anymore! Sad I'm sorry!! *sniffle* I'm not debating anyone! I just want to listen to all the different views! Smile so keep talking! And helping me learn! Smile Grin

I do know that both the pilgrims and puritans were very strict and not tolerant. I know the puritans were especially totalitarian. I do think, however, that maybe the pilgrims were sincere, certainly not all of them, and not all the leadership, and not as time went on. Maybe though, when they first came, there were those among them with a truly sincere heart about things. And if anyone replies, you don't HAVE to reply about this! Smile talk about anything! Whatever you feel like, if it's previous in the discussion or anything!

Remember! You are advancing the world and helping a little college student learn, who is the next generation, so youre being generative! Grin Then you will feel all happy and warm and bubbly inside! Hehe! Smile oh! And helping her have fun doing it! Grin
Gaucho e2
13 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
29 Sep 2012 8:27AM
Hey! Some of us have to sleep! Smile
shadow18 e2
3 406 England
29 Sep 2012 12:29PM
Well, sleep faster! Wink just kidding! I just woke up now. Smile
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
29 Sep 2012 2:33PM

Quote:Be careful when you talk about the religious freedoms of the pilgrims. In fact they were very much AGAINST religious freedoms & wanted religious totalitarianism; on their terms only of course. That's one of the main reasons they left Britain. The echos of that still resonate today in the "religious right" in the US.

I'd never thought of it like that. Just goes to show there are two sides...
shadow18 e2
3 406 England
29 Sep 2012 3:52PM
Well, both the pilgrims and puritans did come to escape religious persecution. There's no doubt about that. They both risked their lives to come to America. The Puritans, however, had an unrealistic vision. They thought they could be a city of perfection, an example to the rest of the world. They thought they could be this theocracy type of utopia. They forgot, though, that this is impossible because no human is perfect, and the leadership turned hypocritical. Also, the ministers were the government leaders because they wanted a theocracy.
The pilgrims were, however, in general, much more sincere. I think the traditional view is more accurate with them though maybe it's been still a little bit over romanticized. Smile
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
29 Sep 2012 4:28PM
It's actually quite a familiar story
The Boers left Holland and settled South Africa for pretty much the same reasons that the Pilgrims left England, and through their trials and tribulations the Boers became to believe they were God's chosen people (persecuted, seeking a home of their own...sound familiar?) and this is reflected in many of their movements and the names they gave to places. What is little understood was that with elements of the Pilgrims' departure there was a strong undercurrent of the same sentiment.
But basically they wanted to be left to their own devices and resented interference from the home country. I understand that many actually wanted to remain under the commonwealth but the level of interference from England was not a price worth paying.
cambirder e2
11 7.2k England
29 Sep 2012 6:47PM

Quote:Well, both the pilgrims and puritans did come to escape religious persecution. There's no doubt about that.

Sorry that is wrong, for a start the pilgrims were puritans and you can only really consider them persecuted if you think that tolerance of non-puritan sects in some way persecutes puritans.

The excesses of Puritanism were the prime cause of the failure of the Commonwealth and the restoration of the Monarchy after Cromwell died, and quite frankly we were (and still are) better off without the miserable gits Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.