Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Making a living

22 Feb 2009 8:56PM
The Customer is King!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

22 Feb 2009 9:06PM
It never ceases to amaze me at what level the public will accept poor quality and low grade work. Their expectations and appreciation are vastly different to ours.

Giving the customer what they want is one thing but so to is maintaining your reputation and professional credibility.

Offering various levels of service tends to give the customer a price point that is acceptable whilst keeping your own integrity.
User_Removed 12 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
22 Feb 2009 9:17PM
Hi Duncan

Quote:It never ceases to amaze me at what level the public will accept poor quality and low grade work. Their expectations and appreciation are vastly different to ours.

I do take issue with what you call poor quality and low grade work. You will find very very few professional photographers who produce work of this nature. I feel you are falling into the trap of comparing a customers needs/brief with aesthetic or technical considerations that a photographer might make when looking at an image and assuming they must be the same.

A professional photographer may well take images that have absolutely no aesthetic merit whatsoever but if they tell the story the client wants to tell than that is all that matters. The vast majority of press photographs fall into that category as does most product photography (as distinct from advertising photography). The vast majority of wedding photographs are not artistic but simply tell a story about a happy occasion in a persons life. They are not looking for photos that win awards but for great photos of their family looking happy. They need to be sharp and well exposed but they are not interested in differential focusing or abstruse technical details Smile

Quite frankly, that is one of the issues that stops many talented amateurs from becoming professional photographers - the ability to understand a clients needs and deliver that in the photography and to differentiate between "photographs for appraisal by photographers" and photography as a product.

Smile
22 Feb 2009 9:21PM

Quote:..and to differentiate between "photographs for appraisal by photographers" and photography as a product.

A point I've made many times.
jas
SuziBlue 12 16.2k 10 Scotland
22 Feb 2009 9:27PM
However, if you have clients who don't want the standard product and want what a specific photographer offers, then both of them are happy. Smile
steve_kershaw 9 2.3k 4 United Kingdom
22 Feb 2009 9:34PM

Quote:Quite frankly, that is one of the issues that stops many talented amateurs from becoming professional photographers - the ability to understand a clients needs and deliver that in the photography and to differentiate between "photographs for appraisal by photographers" and photography as a product

very true

my neighbour was showing me her daughters wedding photo book, It was stunning, in fact it was better than stunning, but at over 4k for the photographer you would expect it to be, but for every 4k wedding tog there is thousands eking a living on the school run,

on a side note, I wonder how many established togs(not Internet savvy) would get a huge wake up call presenting there work here?

edit to add(is eking even a word lol)
22 Feb 2009 9:34PM

Quote:However, if you have clients who don't want the standard product and want what a specific photographer offers, then both of them are happy

True...
Kris_Dutson 12 8.2k 1 England
22 Feb 2009 9:38PM

Quote:and to differentiate between "photographs for appraisal by photographers" and photography as a product.

Absolutely.

I've sold few technically excellent, competition winning, mood endowed photographs to the general public.

However, technically good, but pretty pictures sell well.

People want to look at a picture and enjoy it all year round, and generally feel uplifted by it. So dark broody skies tend to be out; Bluebells, sunrises and sunsets are in.

My wife, who has no artistic tendencies whatsoever (and is happy to admit it) chooses what I put on my craft and market stalls 'cos I haven't a clue.

Smile
I agree with the comments made by Barrie.
So many people don't follow the brief, forget who is actually paying for the work and then get huffy when it's rejected.
22 Feb 2009 9:46PM
The secret is, if it is a secret, is to find and make your own niche in the market.
22 Feb 2009 10:00PM

Quote:Hi Duncan

Quote:It never ceases to amaze me at what level the public will accept poor quality and low grade work. Their expectations and appreciation are vastly different to ours.
I do take issue with what you call poor quality and low grade work. You will find very very few professional photographers who produce work of this nature. I feel you are falling into the trap of comparing a customers needs/brief with aesthetic or technical considerations that a photographer might make when looking at an image and assuming they must be the same.

A professional photographer may well take images that have absolutely no aesthetic merit whatsoever but if they tell the story the client wants to tell than that is all that matters. The vast majority of press photographs fall into that category as does most product photography (as distinct from advertising photography). The vast majority of wedding photographs are not artistic but simply tell a story about a happy occasion in a persons life. They are not looking for photos that win awards but for great photos of their family looking happy. They need to be sharp and well exposed but they are not interested in differential focusing or abstruse technical details

Quite frankly, that is one of the issues that stops many talented amateurs from becoming professional photographers - the ability to understand a clients needs and deliver that in the photography and to differentiate between "photographs for appraisal by photographers" and photography as a product.

Hello Barry,

What I failed to make clear in my original comment was that the level acceptable by the general public when appreciating work not necessarily from pros but from amateurs taking on work beyond their capabilities.
uggyy 9 2.1k 9 Scotland
22 Feb 2009 10:02PM

Quote:hey need to be sharp and well exposed but they are not interested in differential focusing or abstruse technical details

I just had the pleasure of visiting the wedding fair today and to be brutal a lot of the images surprised me by not being sharp in the right places or even near technically perfect... The prices where sharp though Wink and the marketing... All about marketing.

Honestly some of the work was 1st class but that was in the minority if you compared the standards to this site.

One other thing, I'm across from a small copy/frame shop and get to see a lot of local togs work and I'm embarrassed over with some of the work these people have paid good money for.

BUT on the other hand, when you offer the client a selection of images and time and time again they choose the weaker images, what are you to do?

Saying all that, I honestly think this web site does set the bar high for us all and that's not a bad thing. If the customer is happy, that's all that counts in the end.
22 Feb 2009 10:10PM
What the customers like is a good price and getting pics by the due date.
stolzy 9 3.8k 7
22 Feb 2009 10:21PM

Quote:I do take issue with what you call poor quality and low grade work. You will find very very few professional photographers who produce work of this nature.

I don't have a denominator so I can't say what the proportion is, but we're all aware of professional photographers, apparently earning good livings, who post work here of very mediocre quality.
I'm not saying this is typical, but there clearly is a market for mediocre photography.
uggyy 9 2.1k 9 Scotland
22 Feb 2009 11:10PM
It would make you really wonder about people sometimes when you see what they will pay good money to frame...

I was in IKEA today and seen someone looking for a frame for a photo, mounted image and I helped them a little. Price tag was about 100 on the back, image was mediocre imo.

I think the difference on here is simple, we choose subjects that we love and have the time to go get the best image before we post.

Pros have not got that luxury, customer or brief comes in and we need to get the shot best as we can.

So far touch wood, customers Ive had have been happy (at least to my face lol) but as I said before seldom do I 2nd guess the photos they will choose from a session...

Tommy

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.