Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Making Money From Photography

sugarbird 10 223 South Africa
5 Jan 2005 8:12PM
I am a clearly a people/portrait photographer but having done a few exhibitions, they are certainly not the best sellers, in fact my flower shots sell much better, people will buy pictures of themselves or loved ones but it is cetainly hard to sell portraits, from what I see on this site, Landscapes must be great sellers but I am hopless at them, animals and birds seem a good bet too, I do not want to be a starving artist again so making some money is just practical and realistic, any advice on the best way to sell portraits would be great. I have had one article published on my "recovery pictures" and I did get paid for it but that was clearly an awareness article....and am now concentrating more on the local folk and surrounds..thanks.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

steve neil 10 597 Australia
5 Jan 2005 9:08PM
The problem with creative photographers like yourself Jill is you are an artist first and a photographer second. Lets face it, we enjoy expressing ourselves, no matter what others think. We enjoy the buzz that comes from exhibiting in front of an audience or having our work appreciated by others. And if we could get paid for it - wow - LOL

Of course you want some practical advise that will fit in with what you are currently producing. Off the top of my head I would say make yourself a wow portfolio on line and in print. Make contacts and if they are interested you have the means to show them your work. Stock Photography may also be an option for your imagery. What about a portrait business for artists?

It wont happen overnight though, unless you change from being an artist and pursue more traditionally photography professions. I just can't see you doing weddings or sport photography though Smile

A final thought though I'm not sure it well help but could inspire you. I have incorporated my photography into my design work. I know a few others do that on EPZ. Its actually paid off my camera and 2 lens so far! Smile
keithh e2
10 23.2k 33 Wallis And Futuna
6 Jan 2005 12:34AM
Most portrait photographers, JB, earn their money by charging their subjects; only when they make a name for thmselves can they make the same money from publishing those photographs and even then, only when the subject's themselves are famous or newsworthy.
We can appreciate your work, because we are photographers, but the paying public will, on the whole, go for flowers etc - anything they can hang in their hallways and look pretty.
The easiest way is to fund your portrait work with the flowers and arty stuff, and then one day when you've gained a bit of reputation approach a publisher about your street and recovery portraiture.
You never know.
Smile
sugarbird 10 223 South Africa
6 Jan 2005 1:18AM
Thanks guys, great advice, and I actually love doing the flower shots anyway and am very patient, people are approaching me for personal informal portraits already so thats ok, once I get the new camera, I can organise my portfolio bettter, I am already making more than I did with my paintings so that is a plus, all I know that is if you don't try, as Keith says, you never know!!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.