Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Making Photographs or Taking Photographs

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
28 Dec 2011 - 9:29 AM

why didn't you say that then, you would have got the Answer you were after i am sure Smile.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Dec 2011 - 9:29 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318432 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
28 Dec 2011 - 9:33 AM

It's an interesting question and one I've asked before. I used to belong to TIPA (Technical Image Press Association ( a group of 30 magazine editors from around Europe) We used to meet at least once a year for a few days in the host's country. It was then that I started hearing my fellow Europeans saying "make a photo", and "made a photo". Interestingly Conrad, the guys from the Netherlands said this too, even when referring to ones where there was already something there to "take".

Last Modified By Pete at 28 Dec 2011 - 10:03 AM
Jaydee007
Jaydee007  634 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
28 Dec 2011 - 9:37 AM

You can never trust the public to go where you think they'll go or even want them to go

hobbo
hobbo e2 Member 3774 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
28 Dec 2011 - 9:42 AM

You can Bake a cake............you can Take a cake...................but can you MAKE a cake?

Crumbs!!!!!

Think before replying:

Hobbo

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54203 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
28 Dec 2011 - 9:42 AM

So where does "capture" come into this discussion;? a word used on here many times over. So we can make, take and/or capture.

conrad
conrad  910873 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
28 Dec 2011 - 9:48 AM

Quote: I started hearing my fellow Europeans saying "make a photo", and "made a photo". Interestingly Conrad, the guys from the Netherlands said this too, even when referring to ones where there was already something there to "take".

Well, they would say that - in Dutch it's "een foto maken", and "maken" is "to make" - but that doesn't mean that translating this literally into English makes for good English (the thought that a literal translation is a good one, is a common mistake - it often leads to the use of what linguists call "false friends", and this such a false friend).

If we're using the linguistic approach, "take" is the right answer. If we want to use other considerations, "make" could be the answer.

But again, I'd be interested to hear the intentions of the OP.

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 28 Dec 2011 - 10:03 AM
miptog
miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
28 Dec 2011 - 10:43 AM

Quote: I'd be interested to hear the intentions of the OP.

I thread was internationally “open ended” to see what the wide and varied EPZ community felt.

The context is often mentioned by established professional photographers and freely translates as:

We don’t just take a photo, that would be much like taking a snap, but we make a photo. That is we spend considerable time in planning what we want to say with the photo, and setting it up. As a general rule the photos that have a “wow” factor are the ones that we make.

The “Make” refers to the whole life-cycle, from pre-planning, capture, post processing and printing.

Many new to photography, including myself, start out just taking photos, without being aware of the importance of making them.

conrad
28 Dec 2011 - 10:46 AM

Okay, thanks for the clarification. You were looking for more than just a linguistic solution to a problem, then.

Just as well, for it means that most replies in this thread are relevant to what you wanted to discuss. Smile

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
28 Dec 2011 - 3:46 PM

Quote: He he.

Where's the Like button when you need it?

On another site where it belongs Smile Tongue Wink

conrad
28 Dec 2011 - 3:50 PM

There's one in the blog posts on here, Stephen...

thatmanbrian
28 Dec 2011 - 4:15 PM

In law, you 'make' an image. This term is used to cover not just the act of taking a photograph by pressing the shutter button but also subsequent manipulations, in particular substituting a head onto another, possibly obscene or libelous photo. In common parlance however 'make' just sounds wrong and clunky and most people I know use 'take'.

Camairish
Camairish  81276 forum posts Scotland
28 Dec 2011 - 4:50 PM

I take photographs. I just can't say 'make a photograph' without feeling a hint of pretension.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014720 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
28 Dec 2011 - 5:52 PM

most books I've read say "make" rather than "take", so I've just used "make" - not that I ever really say either. I usually say stuff like "i'm off to shoot some kids".... gets a reaction most times Wink

Perhaps "Make" implies you've contributed more to the creation of a shot, where as "take" hits at an opportunistic capture...

ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
31 Dec 2011 - 11:58 AM

i generally say im off to do some photography rather than make or take.Wink

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014720 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
31 Dec 2011 - 1:14 PM

just thinking, I usually say that I'm "off out with the camera"

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.