Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Making Photographs or Taking Photographs

ianrobinson e2
5 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
28 Dec 2011 9:29AM
why didn't you say that then, you would have got the Answer you were after i am sure Smile.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
28 Dec 2011 9:33AM
It's an interesting question and one I've asked before. I used to belong to TIPA (Technical Image Press Association ( a group of 30 magazine editors from around Europe) We used to meet at least once a year for a few days in the host's country. It was then that I started hearing my fellow Europeans saying "make a photo", and "made a photo". Interestingly Conrad, the guys from the Netherlands said this too, even when referring to ones where there was already something there to "take".
Jaydee007 6 34 2 England
28 Dec 2011 9:37AM
You can never trust the public to go where you think they'll go or even want them to go
hobbo e2
3 891 2 England
28 Dec 2011 9:42AM
You can Bake a cake............you can Take a cake...................but can you MAKE a cake?

Crumbs!!!!!

Think before replying:

Hobbo
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
28 Dec 2011 9:42AM
So where does "capture" come into this discussion;? a word used on here many times over. So we can make, take and/or capture.
conrad 10 10.9k 116
28 Dec 2011 9:48AM

Quote:I started hearing my fellow Europeans saying "make a photo", and "made a photo". Interestingly Conrad, the guys from the Netherlands said this too, even when referring to ones where there was already something there to "take".

Well, they would say that - in Dutch it's "een foto maken", and "maken" is "to make" - but that doesn't mean that translating this literally into English makes for good English (the thought that a literal translation is a good one, is a common mistake - it often leads to the use of what linguists call "false friends", and this such a false friend).

If we're using the linguistic approach, "take" is the right answer. If we want to use other considerations, "make" could be the answer.

But again, I'd be interested to hear the intentions of the OP.
miptog 9 3.5k 61 United Kingdom
28 Dec 2011 10:43AM

Quote:I'd be interested to hear the intentions of the OP.

I thread was internationally “open ended” to see what the wide and varied EPZ community felt.

The context is often mentioned by established professional photographers and freely translates as:

We don’t just take a photo, that would be much like taking a snap, but we make a photo. That is we spend considerable time in planning what we want to say with the photo, and setting it up. As a general rule the photos that have a “wow” factor are the ones that we make.

The “Make” refers to the whole life-cycle, from pre-planning, capture, post processing and printing.

Many new to photography, including myself, start out just taking photos, without being aware of the importance of making them.
conrad 10 10.9k 116
28 Dec 2011 10:46AM
Okay, thanks for the clarification. You were looking for more than just a linguistic solution to a problem, then.

Just as well, for it means that most replies in this thread are relevant to what you wanted to discuss. Smile
Tooth 9 5.8k 227 Ireland
28 Dec 2011 3:46PM

Quote:He he.

Where's the Like button when you need it?

On another site where it belongs Smile Tongue Wink
conrad 10 10.9k 116
28 Dec 2011 3:50PM
There's one in the blog posts on here, Stephen...
thatmanbrian 3 342 3 United Kingdom
28 Dec 2011 4:15PM
In law, you 'make' an image. This term is used to cover not just the act of taking a photograph by pressing the shutter button but also subsequent manipulations, in particular substituting a head onto another, possibly obscene or libelous photo. In common parlance however 'make' just sounds wrong and clunky and most people I know use 'take'.
Camairish 9 1.3k Scotland
28 Dec 2011 4:50PM
I take photographs. I just can't say 'make a photograph' without feeling a hint of pretension.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
28 Dec 2011 5:52PM
most books I've read say "make" rather than "take", so I've just used "make" - not that I ever really say either. I usually say stuff like "i'm off to shoot some kids".... gets a reaction most times Wink

Perhaps "Make" implies you've contributed more to the creation of a shot, where as "take" hits at an opportunistic capture...
ianrobinson e2
5 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
31 Dec 2011 11:58AM
i generally say im off to do some photography rather than make or take.Wink
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
31 Dec 2011 1:14PM
just thinking, I usually say that I'm "off out with the camera"

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.