Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Making Photographs or Taking Photographs

Camairish e2
9 1.3k Scotland
1 Jan 2012 2:25PM

Quote:Just thinking, I usually say that I'm "off out with the camera"

Perfect. I can then nip down to the local safe in the knowledge I haven't told a lie.

Thanks Ade.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
2 Jan 2012 10:41AM
can't you just go the local anyway ?

Wink
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
2 Jan 2012 1:28PM

Quote:Can't you just go the local anyway ?

Wink

I take it you're not married?
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
2 Jan 2012 2:18PM
no - sounds like a complete nightmare to be honest, having to ask permission to buy things and go to the pub

like living with a boss Wink
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
2 Jan 2012 4:30PM
I've just been to see Ponting's and Hurley's Antarctic pictures at the Queen's Gallery in London. The blurb said they "made" pictures, and that was way back in around 1915ish and thereabouts (the photographers' word).
Also, Hurley actually doctored one of his negatives to make the rescue from Elephant Island more photogenic by placing the rescue ship further away and placing a couple of chaps and a beacon on top of a high rock. Nothing new in the world.
keith selmes
11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
2 Jan 2012 9:10PM
In earlier years, certainly the 18th and 19th centuries, portrait painters were said to take a portrait or a likeness. People would discuss how they would like to be taken. A portrait painter might be referred to as a taker of likenesses. That went on to taking a daguerrotype, so I presume that's where the terminology of taking a photograph comes from, and in that sense of the word, what we all are doing would be referred to as taking.

However I feel that "taking a photograph" ignores the two stage process of of working with the camera to get an image, and then working with the computer or chemicals to get a finished picture. So I think myself in terms of taking an image, on negative or memory card, and then making a picture, which we might call a photograph.

There was a period when the multi stage process was generally recognised, as people would write about making or procuring a negative or obtaining a photographic image, and the dev and print processes were referred to as manipulation. It was a manual process after all.

Perhaps the modern idea of taking a photo or snapshot went along with the point and shoot and hand in to the lab philosophy, where the photographer only did half the process and the prints or trannies came back ready made. I don't suppose many of us operate that way.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.