Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Male Nudes

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

hi14ry
hi14ry  1 England
25 Dec 2012 - 12:49 AM

From a female perspective, why are male nude images not getting the votes of female nude images.... the quality of many of the male nude images are by far more artistic than some of the cliched female nude images I have seen. As a woman I can appreciate the quality of the female images....but... is it that the men are homophobic or women so scared to vote on something that could be perceived as slightly sexual.....just an observation.....comments please

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Dec 2012 - 12:49 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314927 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
25 Dec 2012 - 12:55 AM

Quote: but... is it that the men are homophobic or women so scared to vote on something that could be perceived as slightly sexual.....just an observation.....comments please

A bit of both Smile but my guess is that there are far more male photographer than there are female photographers.

If I like something I just vote, male or female, it does not bother me.

hi14ry
hi14ry  1 England
25 Dec 2012 - 1:14 AM

From the evidence, we are probably in a minority, it just frustrates me that I can spend a lot of time creating artistic images that cannot compete with the all too common "cheesecake^ images of female models.

franken
franken e2 Member 113050 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
25 Dec 2012 - 8:16 AM

Female nude images have always been more popular than male ones. Some newspapers used to and may still have a page of a semi-nude in each addition? (I gave up buying newspapers years ago)

As an art form female nude images have been with us for hundreds of years.

I've seen excellent male and female work on EPZ and like Paul I vote on what I like.

Ken

rambler
rambler e2 Member 5465 forum postsrambler vcard England14 Constructive Critique Points
25 Dec 2012 - 8:46 AM

Could it be that the female form is far more aesthetically pleasing with it's subtle curves and graceful lines, whereas the male form is more appreciated for it's musculature. A recent survey suggested that women focussed on one aspect of the male nude rather than the whole image. Most men are not that interested in the male form in much the same way as women have less interest in the female form, both mostly serve as a comparison with ones own body form. Oh and then there's the macho thing, it takes a brave man to admit liking a picture of a nude male, especially down at the pub or perhaps on EPZ Smile

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72146 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
25 Dec 2012 - 9:09 AM

Quote: From the evidence, we are probably in a minority, it just frustrates me that I can spend a lot of time creating artistic images that cannot compete with the all too common "cheesecake^ images of female models.

Firstly, stop competing.
*Lastly, try to think of ways that you can photograph, light, or post produce, that create impact and that are new or fresh to the viewer.

* I'm sure there are other things to add - it's just a bit early for me to think and write about them Smile

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54226 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
25 Dec 2012 - 9:43 AM

A while ago someone on here used to post pictures of nude men with titles like "One for the Ladies". I'm afraid I couldn't get past that awful and patronising title, be that a fault of mine or not, but be that as it may, I don't vote unless the image is top notch. Same with nude women. Some are fantastic, some are average and some are Readers' Wives. Like Paul, if it's good I'll vote for it. But generally, I don't like "front" bits. Grin

danfrier
danfrier  2 England
25 Dec 2012 - 10:41 AM

I also think there is a clique mentality on here, I notice some mundane images by the same old users getting huge amounts of votes and sycophantic comments while some awesome images get very little recognition. Its a shame really.

p12owe
p12owe  1101 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Dec 2012 - 3:37 PM

Quote: Firstly, stop competing.

I think the original point here was that mundane, formulaic and let's face it, some fairly mediocre shots of females get more votes than they perhaps should, whilst male images routinely get less than they deserve. Why shouldn't a female photographer compete on a level playing field taking male nude images? Rather than tell her to stop competing… I say KEEP COMPETING! You may even win over some of the men!

Quote: *Lastly, try to think of ways that you can photograph, light, or post produce, that create impact and that are new or fresh to the viewer.

I think the point hi14ry is making is that many of the male nudes might already be better, both artistically and photographically, so perhaps this is not the reason they are not getting votes.

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 25 Dec 2012 - 4:56 PM
lemmy
lemmy  71769 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Dec 2012 - 6:23 PM

A notable difference between painters and photographers is that the latter tend to choose attractive people, especially young females. Painters tend to choose interesting figures, male or female that will challenge their ability.

I think it signifies a more serious approach by painters in general. If you look at photograhic nudes by serious minded photographers like Bill Brandt, you see something quite different from the work generally done by amateur photographers.

I've done lots of page 3 stuff for national newspapers. That is a matter of booking the right models and knowing your business and client requirements plus an armoury of experience and studio technique to get the results. That makes no pretence to 'art' and it often surprises me when ordinary pin up style pictures by amateurs are talked of as art.

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72146 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
25 Dec 2012 - 8:57 PM

Quote: Firstly, stop competing.
I think the original point here was that mundane, formulaic and let's face it, some fairly mediocre shots of females get more votes than they perhaps should, whilst male images routinely get less than they deserve. Why shouldn't a female photographer compete on a level playing field taking male nude images? Rather than tell her to stop competing… I say KEEP COMPETING! You may even win over some of the men!

*Lastly, try to think of ways that you can photograph, light, or post produce, that create impact and that are new or fresh to the viewer.

I think the point hi14ry is making is that many of the male nudes might already be better, both artistically and photographically, so perhaps this is not the reason they are not getting votes.

Maybe, or maybe consider both points of view on both issues.
From what I've seen on epz, the good nudes - male and female are noticed and do get voted for and commented on,
but they stand out from the crowd because the photographer/producer has put more thought into creating something more unique for the viewer.
Whether this is competing or not, is down to the psyche of the individual.

p12owe
p12owe  1101 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Dec 2012 - 10:03 PM

Quote:

Maybe, or maybe consider both points of view on both issues.
From what I've seen on epz, the good nudes - male and female are noticed and do get voted for and commented on,
but they stand out from the crowd because the photographer/producer has put more thought into creating something more unique for the viewer.
Whether this is competing or not, is down to the psyche of the individual.

I do believe that I have considered both points of view fully ... however, having done so, I still feel that there is truth in the original post which implied that on the whole male images in general are much less voted on than female, irrespective of quality.

To simply state that someone should stop competing, or suggest that they need to improve their own images, perhaps ignores the purpose of the thread which I think was more about exploring why some people are afraid to vote on particular images.

hi14ry
hi14ry  1 England
25 Dec 2012 - 10:17 PM

Thank you p12owe, I think the main point of my message has been missed by some and others have given great comments, Thank You.

Just out of interest..... as a female photographer.......who appreciates both the male and female form as works of ART!!!!! Why do photographers find the need to dress their models up in PVC, red and black lace and leather in pursuit of being "Artistic"........ call me stupid!! But is this not just purely sexual titilation !!! H x

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012544 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
25 Dec 2012 - 10:40 PM

Quote: Why do photographers find the need to dress their models up in PVC, red and black lace and leather in pursuit of being "Artistic".

There is pvc and then there is PVC

Last Modified By answersonapostcard at 25 Dec 2012 - 10:42 PM
hi14ry
hi14ry  1 England
25 Dec 2012 - 10:45 PM

Really!!!!!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.