Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Male Nudes

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

hi14ry
hi14ry  1 England
25 Dec 2012 - 10:54 PM

Think about the psychology........(and I don't mean to offend anyone with this statement just to provoke conversation). As a little girl you get to dress up dolls and play act with them.......As a grown up man you get to dress up models and play act with them....but the innocence has gone! I just don't get it!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Dec 2012 - 10:54 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

p12owe
p12owe  1101 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Dec 2012 - 11:16 PM

Quote: Think about the psychology........(and I don't mean to offend anyone with this statement just to provoke conversation). As a little girl you get to dress up dolls and play act with them.......As a grown up man you get to dress up models and play act with them....but the innocence has gone! I just don't get it!

Maybe true, and maybe (shoot me down in flames here!) perhaps also a bit of the control element is at play in paying someone to dress/undress at will and pose provocatively...

Moving quickly back to the original point... Earlier in the thread Lemmy made a very good point on the distinction between pin-up and art. If people vote for the model rather than the artistic merit of the image then I suppose they are perfectly entitled to do so.

Fishnet
Fishnet  104976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
25 Dec 2012 - 11:32 PM

I think it just comes down to the fact there are more men on here than women.

I've posted photos of my best friend who is a very handsome, physically fit young man and they don't get anywhere near as many votes as some nasty readers wife style shot taken with a point and shoot on a grubby sofa in a living room with no artistic merit or thought given to it at all, because why bother??? All you need to do is post a photo of boobs or intimate areas and you gets the votes, why go to the trouble of lighting it and thinking about it.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012548 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
25 Dec 2012 - 11:48 PM

Quote: Really!!!

Yes, the distinction being that theres is a skill and and desire to do more than just arouse, anyone can do that.

Last Modified By answersonapostcard at 25 Dec 2012 - 11:49 PM
p12owe
26 Dec 2012 - 12:14 AM

Quote: There is pvc and then there is PVC

Agreed! Bob Carlos Clarke was a darkly creative, but very troubled man who pushed the boundaries of erotic art. To quote Fishnet, "Readers wife style shots taken with a point and shoot on a grubby sofa in a living room" do not compare and do not merit the votes they often get.

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72149 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
26 Dec 2012 - 12:20 AM

Quote: perhaps ignores the purpose of the thread which I think was more about exploring why some people are afraid to vote on particular images

My apologies for missing the point Smile

Quote:

Just out of interest..... as a female photographer.......who appreciates both the male and female form as works of ART!!!!! Why do photographers find the need to dress their models up in PVC, red and black lace and leather in pursuit of being "Artistic"........ call me stupid!! But is this not just purely sexual titilation !!! H x

So, going off the original topic, but to respond to the OP's 2nd question that might have been thrown in my ball park -

I don't know specifiically about PVC, red and black lace and leather,
but if a latex designer asks me to photograph a model in their designs, so they can promote and sell their work,
and the model in question enjoys wearing and posing in those latex designs, to me it's a fashion shoot where I have to produce some good images - for the designer, myself, the model, and the mua/h.
In all honesty, sexual titilation would be a distraction I could do without.

That said, latex clothing is considered a fetish both for the person wearing it, and for the viewer, so the finished image may provide sexual titilation in some way or another.

Artistic? Dunno about that..

hi14ry
hi14ry  1 England
26 Dec 2012 - 12:35 AM

As it happens I am a member of the Scary Bitches band and we have frequently performed in various fetish clubs and the dress is approptiate to the venue, the art for me is in the music we produce not in the way we dress. In a fashion shoot I would expect to produce good images to my clients requirements but "spam sandwich"....as my other half calls it! is not something that would be appropriate or artistic for a fashion shoot. So why are so many people posting that type of model image and why are people voting on them?

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318434 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
26 Dec 2012 - 12:53 AM

More men are members, and of the women fewer tend to shoot nudes. But if a good male nude is posted it will do well. Example http://www.ephotozine.com/photo/shy-guy-4051094

hi14ry
hi14ry  1 England
26 Dec 2012 - 1:22 AM

Quote: More men are members, and of the women fewer tend to shoot nudes. But if a good male nude is posted it will do well. Example http://www.ephotozine.com/photo/shy-guy-4051094

Beautiful image...great lighting...showing the strength of the male form..........my point that the male nude can produce a fantastic image, when photographed well and with a vision of what the image is meant to portray..... this image tells a story, it has depth..... so many of the female images are just "cheesecake" which is such a shame ..... if you do a nude/semi-nude shoot "say something" !!!! Make an artistic statement...use the form.....the human body is beautiful...it doesn't need to be cheap! H x

Fishnet
Fishnet  104976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
26 Dec 2012 - 9:11 AM

I find CathyT's comment on that photo interesting considering what we are discussing now, and it was made 6 yrs ago, things haven't changed then!

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318434 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
26 Dec 2012 - 9:49 AM

The problem most people have is the subject matter - it adds a human conditioning that is not present in other genres. So a similar "cheesecake" landscape isn't seen as a problem - it is also beautiful and doesn't need to be cheap. But it's often that the skills required to make it beautiful are lacking so it's classed as snapshot or ordinary and the photographer is excused whereas when it comes to nudes he (usually) is branded as a perve.

thebigyin
thebigyin e2 Member 981 forum poststhebigyin vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
27 Dec 2012 - 1:02 PM

I agree with h14ry sentiment here, but as Pete pointed out with nudes the human element is brought in , unlike with landscapes or still life etc, and its known that the female form is much more aestetically pleasing than the male, coupled with there being more male members which are likely to be drawn to a female nude than a male one.

I get very anoyed when I see a stunning female glamour / nude image in the gallery being passed over for a poor cheesy low res image just because of the photographer.

As to the OP, you have a stunning portfolio, and if you enjoy doing what you do then carry on, don't look at it as competeing as someone else pointed out, it is anoying that your efforts do not appear to be recognised in the voting system, but male nudes need to be absoultely exceptional as with the example above, and its not just isolated to epz, other sites have the same issue.

Alister

hi14ry
hi14ry  1 England
27 Dec 2012 - 1:15 PM

Thank you Alister, I think I will defo continue to take photographs of male nudes and I can see the beauty in the male form, as I believe many other do too!! I think its more to do with homophobic fears why many men won't vote on a male nude image. Women, on the other hand, tend to vote on either. Thank you H x

p12owe
27 Dec 2012 - 1:50 PM

When considering the volume of votes, I suppose people will always lean towards their favoured genre, wildlife, landscape etc. Most will consciously or subconsciously place a higher number of votes for their own genre. Given that the male nude is definitely a minority subject, it is always going to struggle for votes (however good!).

There are of course, some great female nudes on the site, but when considering why so many men seem to vote continually for some of the less well photographed nudes... well that's not really about appreciating the photographers attributes is it!

Tandberg
Tandberg  111218 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
28 Dec 2012 - 3:42 PM

A good image is a good image be it male or female! But men are men and naked females will always win where the majority of members are male. Me i dont care, if the thumbnail catches my eye i will look.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.