Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Male Nudes

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54226 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
30 Dec 2012 - 2:26 PM

Some male nudes are very imaginatively done. This one for example

Nude Man

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Dec 2012 - 2:26 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MichaelBilottaPhotography

Interesting thread! I have to chime in here...I do nudes of both genders, but lately mostly males. One, it is because that subject matter is the minority that draws me to it - why is there a stigma against the male nude form by anyone claiming to be an artist? I have my preferences, as a gay man, to males, but I would not hesitate to shoot either - I just rail against the whole female=beauty, male=beast thing, and its an OLD stigma, but still, I feel that so much attention has been paid to the female form that I would be remiss in not challenging that, but also, as a male, I tend to hire models to be my "stand in" or muse, to capture an emotion or concept that I, being male, would be more effective at rendering with male models. But it IS frustrating to get 1/8 the views and comments than any other female nude. And that is the same on all sites, not just EPZ. This site, 6 months on it now, has been a lovely experience with a lot of great people on it.

Penis Power! LOL - kidding.

p12owe
p12owe  1101 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
30 Dec 2012 - 7:53 PM

Nice one Michael... Homophobes dive for cover!

I agree, from glancing around the other sites that it is the same wherever you look, with many moderated sites letting few if any male nudes through the door.

As someone not afraid to put up some (in my opinion) exceptionally artistic male nudes, It might be interesting if you were to see whether the majority of votes for your images from same, or opposite sex members. I suspect it may be quite even. I am also fairly sure that a quick look at the votes for some of that more cheesy tit'n'minge stuff will be entirely made up male voters "of a certain age" who are certainly not voting on any photographic skill.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53536 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
30 Dec 2012 - 8:00 PM

Votes in any genre is a complex thing, some time I'm voting for the originality of the subject human or otherwise; sometimes for the skill in lighting and presenting the subject (PVC or any shiny subject can be very hard to shoot with lights); Sometimes I'm voting for a new or unusual member that seems to be bettering themselves; Sometimes I just can't be bothered to vote; Sometime I only look at regular contacts; Sometime I just vote for a pretty girl as she is pretty.
The psychology of it is complex and interesting and never an exact science.
Male models are much harder to find on modelling sites, and good nudes of either sex are I think difficult to shoot well.
Comments are much better than votes anyway.

p12owe
30 Dec 2012 - 8:08 PM

Quote:
Comments are much better than votes anyway.

I agree... but just as a quick experiment, go to the readers choice awards gallery and filter nudes... Lots of positive comments there... No male nudes... But some really nice shots.... And at the risk of offending someone... Some pretty dreadful, poorly lit, and completely unoriginal stuff as well... All equally highly praised by the group I mentioned earlier!

I agree with Jack, about the psychology of voting and the fact that comments or more valued. And Peter, I suspect most of my audience, or at least the comments about nudes, is male, and therefore gay. But I do get comments from females once in a while, and straight males, and that's appreciated too. It's also interesting and really surprising to me, that my least successful images in terms of nudes and viewership, has been female nudes. Go figure! Male models are INCREDIBLY hard to find, at least ones willing to pose starkers!

Peter, you should see 1x.com. EVERY nude I submit is rejected - almost NO male nudes accepted. Homophobes!

p12owe
30 Dec 2012 - 8:29 PM

Michael,
I looked a 1x a few months ago, but their rather odd system of vetting pictures (which seems to revolve around just one persons opinion) put me off. Maybe that is the root of your own rejected images...

If your female nudes are doing less well, then maybe the problem is something I had not considered....
A lot of comments from men about fairly ordinary female nudes contain the word "artistic", almost as an excuse to enjoy female nakedness as art. Perhaps they do not want "artistic" at all, therefore would never be inclined to vote unless titillated in some way by the image.

Hmmm you could be right about that Peter! I never thought of that. PVC pipe it is from now on! LOL - 1X is off-putting in almost every way, and sometimes a hostile place to be. I am bowing out of it in 2013 I think. Makes me miserable!

p12owe
30 Dec 2012 - 8:44 PM

I think your probably right to to that. As artists we always seek critique, but are also very sensitive to any perceived unfairness in it. Continual rejection tramples on our creativity and leads eventually to mediocrity. Someone said earlier in this thread "don't try to compete" but where does that leave you if you don't at least try to be the best?

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314927 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
30 Dec 2012 - 10:07 PM

Quote: Yes, the distinction being that theres is a skill and and desire to do more than just arouse, anyone can do that

Really good pictures can do all that without the need to have it all hanging out Smile

hi14ry
hi14ry  1 England
30 Dec 2012 - 10:21 PM

Whow!!! Just finished a 14 hour shift and this thread has moved on some!!!!! Lets see where to start........SlowSong....... fantastic to link this image into the mix as it is an example of the ART of NUDE photography.....not just a pretty photo of someone with their "kit off....or PVC on....or her-in-doors putting on the sexy clobber for the once a year bit of pleasure!". It tells a story, it evokes emotion (not a hard on) and it should be appriciated for it's artistry!!! Thank you H x

Michael, as the creator of that image I applaud you! You love the same sex but you are able to photograph the male naked form from a non-sexual perspective..... no "sack and crack" (sorry to use that term.... it's the only thing similar to tit and minge I could come up with after a 14 hr shift)!! LOL Working in Mental Health the psychology of this subject has me rather gripped!!!! I find it strange that in this day and age and on a photographic site that people can't remove the sexual from the image, whether that be in staging the models and taking the photograph, or voting on the image. Art is worth much more than that surely! If you want to be sexually aroused rent a DVD, hook up to one of the MANY Sky "Adult channels" or find yourself a girlfriend/prostitute or left hand!!

JackAllTog, I appreciate your honesty when you say you sometimes vote on "just a pretty girl".

I've looked for an image to show of a great female nude photo, that is artistic, tells a story and (for me) ticks all the boxes of ART. It took a while!!! I only looked through the awarded images as I need my sleep (on an early shift tomorrow) this is the Image.

H xx

p12owe
30 Dec 2012 - 10:30 PM

Quote:
Really good pictures can do all that without the need to have it all hanging out Smile

Agreed... But.... Images with "it all hanging out" can still be artistic without being cheap or overtly sexual. There is nothing disgusting about the human form, male or female, it is just the way that it is sometimes presented that makes it that way.

Hi H,

I love that - sack and crack! LOL When I fist started shooting nudes (a year ago) I was pretty much letting it all hang out, but I've gotten a little more compositional lately, and at first I was doing as a reaction against the whole "hide the junk" poses I kept seeing, called a Flandrin pose I believe, where it looks like a man is ashamed of himself and is cradling knees to chest. Back then I was all "afraid of ****? I will show you ****!" lol, but now I shoot a little more artfully, and never for the sake of it. There is a practical side to my preference of shooting the nude figure, as well as my belief that clothing instantly conjures up a context of time period: it is cheaper!! I only like oldie-time clothing and nothing contemporary, so costuming my models becomes absurdly expensive. So, bring a an old frock or hat and tails, or it's bare-ass you go! Smile

hi14ry
hi14ry  1 England
30 Dec 2012 - 10:45 PM

Are you my twin brother????? I agree with everything you say (although I haven't gone through the same experience to get there). My trio of males was judged as a DPI in our local club..... the judge half looked at the image and stated "a panel of three male nudes, no....I do believe the one on the right is a women!" He was being serious, the one on the right was the only image that showed a penis. He was so embarrased that he hadn't looked at the image properly and gave it a low mark, without further comment! I also love the "oldie-time" clothing too, my 1st degree was in Theatre Production and Design. At the end of the day I only have a few male nude image in my portfolio..... I will be doing more now....and pushing limits, artistically only!.....just need to find a willing model!!! Shame you live in the states! H x

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.