Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Malware . . . ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Jestertheclown
19 Dec 2012 - 5:19 PM

I've just found this email amongst today's collection.
Its title was to do with "account activation," purportedly sent from Facebook alert.

Hi bren,
Your account has been blocked due to spam activity.
To activate account, please follow this link:
*http://www.*f*ceb**k*.com/confirmemail.php?e=bren@photosbyjester.com&c=0389455*
You may be asked to enter this confirmation code: 0389455
The Facebook Team

(I've added the *asterisks* to, hopefully, invalidate the link.)

Does this strike anyone as being real or potentially harmful?

I opened the email with some trepidation and I'm certainly not going to click on either of the links (there's a tiny one at the bottom which I'm supposed to click on if I've received the email in error.)

My concerns regarding its validity are founded on the fact that I wouldn't touch Facebook with a forty foot disinfected bargepole whilst wearing surgical gloves.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 19 Dec 2012 - 5:21 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Dec 2012 - 5:19 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96276 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
19 Dec 2012 - 5:23 PM

Can you not find out if their stament about your account being blocked is correct without following the suggested links to re-activate it ?

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104009 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
19 Dec 2012 - 5:29 PM

always use your own bookmark to access any site that suggests something is wrong..it will soon tell you

Jestertheclown
19 Dec 2012 - 5:31 PM

Quote: My concerns regarding its validity are founded on the fact that I wouldn't touch Facebook with a forty foot disinfected bargepole whilst wearing surgical gloves.

I don't have a Facebook account Jeff.

I never have had and I never will.

I only ever once looked in there to see what it was all about using a (very) made up name and an email address that I deleted immediately afterwards.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 19 Dec 2012 - 5:31 PM
adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 73288 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
19 Dec 2012 - 5:31 PM

Quote: My concerns regarding its validity are founded on the fact that I wouldn't touch Facebook with a forty foot disinfected bargepole whilst wearing surgical gloves

So from that I assume you don't have a facebook account, so you're not likely to want to activate it are you.
It looks extremely dodgy to me.

I've recently been plagued by emails about my yahoo account being compromised. Thing is, I don't have a yahoo account. Instant spambox/delete.
Also had 3 phonecalls today to tell me my microsoft account is under attack. The last was from a "very senior microsoft engineer". He started to get a bit upset when I said "liar" to everything he told me. Grin

Jestertheclown
19 Dec 2012 - 5:33 PM

Quote: always use your own bookmark to access any site that suggests something is wrong.

I'm not sure what you mean Jeff.

I don't have anything re. Facebook bookmarked.

Jestertheclown
19 Dec 2012 - 5:34 PM

Quote: Instant spambox/delete.

My thoughts entirely Adrian.

I think that I've encountered your Microsoft man as well. Funnily enough, he didn't take kindly to what I said to him either!

Andy_Cundell
19 Dec 2012 - 5:48 PM

I had an e-mail from them the other week saying my account has been locked due to someone trying to log in too many times from another location than my normal one. I didn't use the link on the e-mail, just wen't to the actual site (good bit of advice, never use the links in e-mails, just goto the original site) and low and behold..........................it was true! Someone from South America had tried to log in and got the password wrong too many times. I tightened up my security and now use the text codes and changed my password!

Just try and log in and see what it says!

Andy

robthecamman
19 Dec 2012 - 6:30 PM

treat all emails you know nothing of as junk delete dont open Smile

robthecamman
19 Dec 2012 - 6:31 PM

if you make comments back to emails your showing theyv a live email account and will get even more junk Smile

BEVZED
BEVZED e2 Member 71140 forum postsBEVZED vcard United Kingdom
19 Dec 2012 - 6:48 PM

HARMFUL! Had one too, only my registered fb email is actually a disposable and this came through to my main address. Smile I use the same as Andy, text codes every time I log in, pain in the proverbials but sort of safer

Last Modified By BEVZED at 19 Dec 2012 - 7:04 PM
Andy_Cundell
19 Dec 2012 - 10:24 PM

With talk about e-mail address's and 'live' accounts etc, I actually have three e-mail address's. My main e-mail address for family, close friends and companies I trust, an address for other companies and not so important things AND a junk address for web site log ins, filling out forms and other crap your not really bothered about etc. I really wont mind losing the latter two and have changed the third one a few times!

Jestertheclown
19 Dec 2012 - 10:40 PM

I'm the same Andy.

I've got about six, many of which are disposable, although this one arrived via my main, personal one.
I've no idea what might have occured if I'd clicked on a link but they really picked on the wrong person to catch out by referring to Facebbook.

rhol2
rhol2 e2 Member 3286 forum postsrhol2 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2012 - 9:19 AM

I've had the "facebook" message and also messages from supposed Facebook members though I have never joined. Hotmail flags them as Junk and I simply delete them.

As with Jester, they are sent to my main personal address which is worrying...

User_Removed
20 Dec 2012 - 10:00 AM

It's a standard phishing ploy.

These scammers reckon that if they send out 100-million such e-mails, a few thousand folk will be daft enough to open them and a few hundred of those will be daft enough to click on the link and a few dozen of those will be daft enough to enter their User ID and Password. And, Bingo, they are into your system to do whatever evil they have in mind.

The most dangerous ones purport to come from banks, eBay, PayPal and other such services where there are cash accounts to be emptied. But, of course, once they have the mug punter's details from the likes of Facebook, Flickr, AOL or wherever, they can then use those details to cause all sorts of criminal mischief by setting up false accounts in the punter's name.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 20 Dec 2012 - 10:01 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.