Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Mamiya 645 Pro - Any thoughts?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Coast
Coast Critique Team 6764 forum postsCoast vcard United Kingdom290 Constructive Critique Points
10 May 2009 - 10:03 PM

Many years ago I dabbled with Medium Format with a Bronica ETRSi and later a SQa. Then a long absence from anything other than family snaps before indulging my hobby properly once more in the digital age with a Canon 5D.
I have an opportunity to purchase a Mamiya 645 pro with AE prism finder, 120 film back, 80mm lens and drive grip. I have little knowledge of the Mamiya system and would appreciate anything that you could tell me about it.

For instance is it still servicable and possible to build up with additional lenses etc. Can you get a digital back for this model?

How will the film quality compare to my 5D digital?

Am I doing the right thing and is this a good way back into film? Will be used for portraits in the main.

Regards
Paul

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 May 2009 - 10:03 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

gringoninjo
10 May 2009 - 11:00 PM

You can't go far wrong with a Mamiya anything. Full stop.
All cameras are servicable.
All SLRs have a lens system.
You're buying a film camera, what d'you want a digital back for? Why not buy a new digital camera if that's what you want? Digitogs always mention that digital is so much cheaper and then want to buy and 'upgrade' constantly.
The 'sensor' (film) is more than three times the size of the chip in the 5D but you'll have to learn how to get the best out of it. The Mamiya will last longer than the 5D too.
Only you know if it's the right thing to do.
Any method of getting back into film is good, especially if it's fully manual.
An 80mm MF lens is 'theoretically' a 50mm on 135film, is it long enough for your portraits? If you tend to crop quite close it would be a good idea to get a 150mm (80mm equivalent)

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314893 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
11 May 2009 - 12:48 AM

Quote: All cameras are servicable

Well just hoping my RF is, its pretty rare Sad

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
11 May 2009 - 6:08 AM

I have a 645 Pro with the configuration you describe and a bunch of lenses. It's a great little camera and there's still plenty of gear about if you look as it was only discontinued 2-3 years ago. In fact, now I have a full-frame DSLR, I could be persuaded to part with some or all of my 645 kit....

As regards quality compared to digital, I don't think it's a case of one being better than the other - they're just different. I have a beautiful 16x20 on my wall, taken from a 645 tranny shot on Velvia. Even with your nose on the glass, it's as sharp as a razor and you can't see any grain.

Coast
Coast Critique Team 6764 forum postsCoast vcard United Kingdom290 Constructive Critique Points
11 May 2009 - 6:34 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Quote: You're buying a film camera, what d'you want a digital back for? Why not buy a new digital camera if that's what you want? Digitogs always mention that digital is so much cheaper and then want to buy and 'upgrade' constantly.

I want a film camera, as I already have a digital 35mm, however I was interested if the Mamiya could take a digital back if in future I wanted to add the facility.

Regards Paul

joolsb
11 May 2009 - 7:08 AM

Quote: I want a film camera, as I already have a digital 35mm, however I was interested if the Mamiya could take a digital back if in future I wanted to add the facility.

Some of the earlier digital backs may support the 645 Pro but most of them are designed to fit the newer 645AF and 645AFD models. Unfortunately, backs are not compatible between the AF and the Pro.

Last Modified By joolsb at 11 May 2009 - 7:09 AM
AlanPerkins
11 May 2009 - 10:04 AM

My thoughts on the subject are simple:

WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but can't afford it :-(

Coast
11 May 2009 - 11:41 AM

Have to agree

Quote: My thoughts on the subject are simple:

WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but can't afford it :-(

But just a thought for the future as prices come down if a digi back was available then it may become affordable in the future - I have seen one on Ebay for a Contax 645 for around 600 - only 6mp but on that principle a 22mp back may fall into that realm in a couple of years! Maybe I a dreaming!

My main interest in the 645 Mamiya is to add some film photography back in with the digital I am doing at the moment and the 645 Pro set up I have been offered for 300 which seems a fair price from what I can establish.

carl3825
carl3825  5 Switzerland
22 May 2009 - 3:12 PM

I have a Mamiya RZ67 pro came with a 65mm 4.0 and 140mm 4.0 lens AE prism and waist hight viewer plus 2 120 backs. on Ebay for sfr 1250. Looks like mint condition. The real costs of usage in not the film and development. Its the scanning. But the pictures are truely good. It is just different. A scan on a 9000 ED gives you a picture 1meter by 90cm approx. It is as sharp as if not sharper as anything out your 5D I also have a 5D. Its no replacement as you have the size and weight and the time factor of setup but. If you enjoy landscape or portrait and have the time you will not be disappointed with the shots. Saying that by the time you have purchase a 9000 ED or eqivelent and get a handmeter and look at the running costs you could get a 1Ds MK111 but its more the fun of using the camera and film and the whole process. But don't exspect it to be cheaper. I am really happy with mine and will for sure enjoy using it for years to come. The only issue I have had with mine was have to replace the seals in the film holder as one had a light leak.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Morpyre
Morpyre e2 Member 91622 forum postsMorpyre vcard Wales8 Constructive Critique Points
22 May 2009 - 6:06 PM

you could use the film back on the mamiya and then scan using a film scanner so that you have a digital equivelent of the film shots
i would love a medium format camera but there is still an ice cube in hell that hasn't even started melting yet Grin

thewilliam
24 May 2009 - 7:27 PM

Mamiya cameras have always been designed to do the best job for the working professional. They're not designed to be toys and Mamiya don't seem to care whether the cameras are attractive to amateurs. For this reason, Mamiya cameras have never been status symbols.

What do you want from a camera?

scorpio9000
6 Jun 2009 - 3:58 PM

I have an RB6X7 Pro S: 2 bodies, 3 Backs, 5 lenses, an extension Tube, Pistol Grip, Filters, etc. I also have a D200. I use both, but the Mamiya is more fun. Scanning a 6X7 negative at 4800 dpi gives you a 400 MB file (equivalent to 17 million pixels I think)

dwilkin
dwilkin e2 Member 724249 forum postsdwilkin vcard United Kingdom
8 Jun 2009 - 3:02 PM

Quote: I have a 645 Pro with the configuration you describe and a bunch of lenses. It's a great little camera and there's still plenty of gear about if you look as it was only discontinued 2-3 years ago. In fact, now I have a full-frame DSLR, I could be persuaded to part with some or all of my 645 kit....

Tell me more - I have a 645 Pro with just an 80mm lens...

joolsb
8 Jun 2009 - 4:31 PM

You have mail....

dwilkin
dwilkin e2 Member 724249 forum postsdwilkin vcard United Kingdom
8 Jun 2009 - 4:36 PM

I have, and I've already replied!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.