Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Mamiya 645 Pro - Any thoughts?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jun 2009 - 4:57 PM

Indeed you have. And now I've replied to your reply.... Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Jun 2009 - 4:57 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dwilkin
dwilkin  724249 forum posts United Kingdom
7 Jul 2009 - 11:06 PM

And I replied to your reply, and a deal was struck, and a good time was had by all (except for the small, green pieces of paper, who weren't the one who were unhappy anyway!)

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jul 2009 - 7:27 AM

Yes, a very pleasant day out. At least you should be able to find your way around Winchester now! Smile

Last Modified By joolsb at 8 Jul 2009 - 7:27 AM
kgb
kgb  10
30 Oct 2010 - 2:01 AM

I have the Pro TL and lenses ranging from focal lenth 5mm -150mm inc 80mm macro and I love it. I purchased the camera & lenses etc second hand from ebay. There are some good deals to be had. I originally purchased the camera to do a 2 year p/t A level photography course (B+W - processing and printing). I still shoot B+W, but now I have to send it off for processing. Since finishing the course I shoot mainly velvia. I couldn't quite persuade my wife to let me purchase the epson 750 scanner, so I had to settle for a second hand epson 4990. I am happy enough with the results.

What the Medium Format camera has done is cause me to work at a much slower pace and put more thought into composition etc, which is no bad thing

filmforever
3 Nov 2010 - 8:58 PM

Mamiyas have always made great lenses, if only the 645 models had the revolving back of my RB67, they'd be perfect!

dwgrm
dwgrm  2
14 Sep 2012 - 2:43 PM

Through a series of trades which started with a laptop I was given for free, I got that exact configuration of 645. So, got it for free. Love the camera.

User_Removed
14 Sep 2012 - 6:53 PM

The 645 never really made the same impact as the RB67.

Don't know why this thread has been dragged up from the dead after all that time but, in a sense, Mamiya MF cameras are timeless - and now very, very cheap.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318447 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
14 Sep 2012 - 8:00 PM

Welcome to ePHOTOzine David. Good to hear you got the camera you wanted. It's a fine camera of the film era. And you should be able to get other lenses for decent prices now Smile

Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
15 Sep 2012 - 9:38 AM

Quote: Many years ago I dabbled with Medium Format with a Bronica ETRSi and later a SQa. Then a long absence from anything other than family snaps before indulging my hobby properly once more in the digital age with a Canon 5D.
I have an opportunity to purchase a Mamiya 645 pro with AE prism finder, 120 film back, 80mm lens and drive grip. I have little knowledge of the Mamiya system and would appreciate anything that you could tell me about it.

For instance is it still servicable and possible to build up with additional lenses etc. Can you get a digital back for this model?

How will the film quality compare to my 5D digital?

Am I doing the right thing and is this a good way back into film? Will be used for portraits in the main.

Regards
Paul

As well as a few other 6x6 cameras the mamiya 645 outfit was my favourite wedding kit. The pentaprism is essential however. The other additional lenses you may need one of which I think was 45mm are outstanding giving quality equal to my Hassles.

I sold mine to go digital but if you really want to follow this line of action then go for it.

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41208 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
15 Sep 2012 - 8:07 PM

You can get a digital back for the latest Mamiya 645s, with an adapter, dependent on which manufacturer, but I don't think it works with the Pro....only the AF versions, and you really don't want to know how expensive it is anyway!

Nick

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.