Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Mamiya 645 Super vs Bronica ETRSi

collinf 12 1.2k
11 Apr 2003 12:33PM
Howdy all! It's been a while since I posted, but do look regularly. I have a question for anyone that cares to answer:

I am in the very fortunate position of being able to purchase a Medium Format camera. My absolute top whack budget is 1000.

I have narrowed the choices to the Mamiya 645 Super or the Bron ETRSi. I am looking to purchase second hand. Both cameras will come with the basics, ie, body, 75 or 80mm lens, 1 back and the Waist Level finder.

Now the problem. I can't decide which. I am currently swaying towards the Mamiya as it is slightly cheaper (around 400) and will leave me more dosh for the extras, eg second mag/back, Prism and maybe some filters.

Does anyone have any opinion on which is better or fors/againsts for both cameras?

Also, can you get a speed grip for the Mamiya?
What flashgun should I look at?

I will be looking to do some landscape, some car photography and possibly some studio eventually. I have been asked to photograph a friend's wedding in April next year which is the primary reason for the MF. If I get it now, I have a decent chance to learn how to **** up and correct my faults ;o)

I am looking to purchase the camera around the 28th of this month.

I eagerly look forward to your replies

Excited Collin :o)

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete Plus
14 18.7k 96 England
11 Apr 2003 1:54PM
Hi Collin. Try this previous post for some ideas. Which medium format camera?
collinf 12 1.2k
11 Apr 2003 1:56PM
Missed that one :o(

I'll have a look. Thanks Pete :o)
cool cat 13 145
11 Apr 2003 2:39PM
Hi Collin,

I mentioned in the other forum that I preffered the mamiya and I still do. It is an excellent camera for general and landscape work. Combined with a power wind and standard lenses it weighs about the same as a nikon F5.

From a personal point of view I would like to move to either 6x6 or 6x7 both of which are out of my reach at the moment.

I now take lots of studio shots and I find it incredibly annoying that I can only sync at 1/60th. (leaf shutter lens required)

I would sit down and write a list of what you want and compare it against a list of pros and cons of both cameras.

Cheers

Rob
sinargee 12 245
11 Apr 2003 7:44PM
Hi, I much prefer the Broni its got leaf shutter lenses so sync's flash at any shutter speed which for fill flash at your wedding is invaluable. its built like a brick wats it and will go on forever. whichever 6x4.5 camera you buy you will definately need a prism finder for the portrait shots, unless you are pretty good at focusing sideways on. There are lots of them around second hand, and the lenses are really sharp.

Bill
FrankThomas 12 2.8k United Kingdom
11 Apr 2003 8:05PM
I ended up getting the Bronica in the end - mainly for the flash sync at all speeds - so far I've been very pleased with it - it takes superb pictures (all I have to do now is find the right subjects and practice a lot more) I ended up getting an AEIII prism finder an some other odds and ends but over all I'm glad I got it.
Second hand PE lenses seem a little scarce but you can use the E series - you just lose the half stop aperture settings on the lenses
lightweaver 12 481
11 Apr 2003 8:34PM
Collin

I weighed up the Etrsi against teh Mamiya and eventually went for a Pentax 645. By the time you go for the body, back, lens , grip and prism finder the Pentax comes within reach. It's an older manual focus body and It is very impressive. The lenses are superb too.

It's been mentioned above, but if you need to flash sync at any speed, then the Bronica is your best choice.

Check out this site, has loads of pro's and con's for just about any medium format camera, and was more than useful when I was looking into medium format.

http://medfmt.8k.com/

Good luck

Colin
collinf 12 1.2k
12 Apr 2003 11:50AM
Folks, thanks very much for all the replies, I'm now swaying towards the Broni after the comments, although I believe that ALL the lenses are more expensive because they are all on the leaf shutter system.

I like the sound of the slow sync and fill-n though especially for the wedding shots.

verkivick

I will definitely look at that site, thanks for the link.

I'll let y'all know!

Collin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.