Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Managing Firefox

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014800 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
26 Aug 2014 - 5:19 AM

I just started using Firefox, and I have a question or two; when I have more than one page open, and I go to close the top one, it doesn't ask if I just want to close that one, or all pages, the way IE did. There is no choice to just close the one page, they all close. Of course, I could close from the task tray, never thought of that.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Aug 2014 - 5:19 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014800 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
26 Aug 2014 - 5:22 AM

An observation I've had is that some sites, eg. ebay, paypal, etc. are extremely slow to open. Is this normal for Firefox?

StrayCat
26 Aug 2014 - 5:35 AM

I tried Chrome on the sites I mentioned and they open normally. Firefox has a real problem with some of them, in some cases it is unable to open them. Using Chrome I am unable to upload images to the gallery, even with drag and drop. Firefox works ok in this respect.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104023 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
26 Aug 2014 - 7:00 AM

Quote: I just started using Firefox, and I have a question or two; when I have more than one page open, and I go to close the top one, it doesn't ask if I just want to close that one, or all pages, the way IE did. There is no choice to just close the one page, they all close. Of course, I could close from the task tray, never thought of that.

That shouldn't happen...have a look at Tools/Options on the top menu and check that you have `warn me when closing multiple tabs' checked...but that's only a failsafe, the default is to allow individual closure...have you got Firefox 31.0.

AnneB50
AnneB50 e2 Member 2109 forum postsAnneB50 vcard Scotland18 Constructive Critique Points
26 Aug 2014 - 8:49 AM

Quote: I just started using Firefox, and I have a question or two; when I have more than one page open, and I go to close the top one, it doesn't ask if I just want to close that one, or all pages, the way IE did. There is no choice to just close the one page, they all close. Of course, I could close from the task tray, never thought of that.

I have had exactly the same problem, also an irritating question about cookies which I don't seem to ge able to get rid of just by saving the settings. I'm very tempted to go back to internet explorer as a result.

mikehit
mikehit  56456 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
26 Aug 2014 - 9:04 AM

It works slightly differently - if I close the tab by hitting the 'x' on that tab, it closes only that tab. If I want to close all tabs I have to use the 'x' at the very top right (the red one) of the FF screen.
In IE I can close a single tab by hitting the 'x' on the tab or the red 'X' top right with the option of closing tabs or current tabs.

Snapper
Snapper  93750 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
26 Aug 2014 - 10:05 AM

Quote:
if I close the tab by hitting the 'x' on that tab, it closes only that tab. If I want to close all tabs I have to use the 'x' at the very top right (the red one) of the FF screen.

This is how Firefox works for me, and if you close the tab accidentally you can re-open it immediately from the History icon in the dropdown at far right. It opens again in the same place, so I can keep my photo website tabs together.

StrayCat
26 Aug 2014 - 7:47 PM

It's a case of learning the little differences I guess. I've been using Chrome and Firefox for a day, and I have to say Chrome seems much faster, but I can't upload to the gallery with it.

Jestertheclown
26 Aug 2014 - 7:51 PM

Hi Denny,
One of the reasons that I migrated to Chrome (from Firefox) was that it was faster.
I can't comment on your uploading problems though, as I don't do it.
Bren.

Chris_L
Chris_L e2 Member 867 forum postsChris_L vcard United Kingdom
26 Aug 2014 - 9:04 PM

What's the next thing that happens after you choose Upload Denny?

StrayCat
26 Aug 2014 - 10:59 PM

It shows as if it will upload, and stalls. I've left it for 5 minutes, and nothing.

Chris_L
27 Aug 2014 - 12:51 AM

Can you take some photos / video so I can try and work out what's going on?

StrayCat
27 Aug 2014 - 3:18 AM

Chris, when I first started using Chrome a couple days ago, it worked. Then it wouldn't upload to the gallery, so I used Firefox, which I find extremely slow in some areas, although I was able to upload using it, and still can. I downloaded my stuff from IE to both Chrome and Firefox when I first started using them. Might be something I downloaded, without knowing it.

StrayCat
27 Aug 2014 - 7:01 AM

After all the trouble I've put you folks through, and put myself through also, I've returned to IE; I'm convinced it's the best of the lot for me. I can't upload images to the gallery or the forum with Chrome, and Firefox won't open several of my favourite sites without interminable delays, so I'd rather have a browser that does it all, albeit not perfectly, but adequately. Thanks for your help.

Chris_L
27 Aug 2014 - 5:26 PM

If you could provide screenshots or videos the problems could be worked on. I see computers all the time where the owners have been persuaded into installing toolbars and background programs which then attach themselves to any browser you subsequently install causing exactly the problems you describe.

Adverts that appear offering to solve things usually persuade you to install software that actually adds to the problem.

Once a computer is infected in this way, even searches for solutions, such as Malwarebytes, will be intercepted and you end up installing a fake one of those.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.