Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Manfrotto 804RC2 head de-assembly, assembly clean up and lubrication

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    luizdasilva
    6 Sep 2010 - 1:50 PM

Hi Guys,
    I have an 804RC2 head and it is far new. After used just once at the beach it started to get hard to moviment. Beach Photography is one of my favorite subjects so I don't want to have to take the head to a profissional services whenever back from there, so I'd like to learn how can I de-assembly, clean and assembly it back myself.
    Does anybody can help me with this, please,

Thank you for any help,

Luiz

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    6 Sep 2010 - 1:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

BigRick
    BigRick  92085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Sep 2010 - 6:44 PM

I cant help with the assembly, but next time you use it on the beach,,,, wrap a carrier bag or something around the head so it stops the sand getting in.... elastic bands would probably hold it in place. Smile

luizdasilva
    6 Sep 2010 - 7:03 PM

I just found out this very helpful PDF on the Manfrotto's web site.
    http://mediacdn.shopatron.com/media/mfg/2747/media_document/live_2/804RC2_200611...

Looking at this, my question is basically about the part called "R804,10". It looks like a plastic seal. How should I take it off? Should I just put a screwdriver there in order to take it off?

Thank you

Luiz

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318443 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Sep 2010 - 7:13 PM

Quote: How should I take it off? Should I just put a screwdriver there in order to take it off?

It looks like it. I needed to clean a Nintendo Wii which had covers over its screws. They were lightly glued on and I imagine the tripod is similar. A very fine tipped one so you don't damage the edge of it. If you're unsure it may be worth contacting Manfrotto service dept and asking if the piece just clips off.

luizdasilva
    8 Sep 2010 - 5:46 PM

Did it. As stated by Pete before there is a glue there. Once clipped it off you have access to that parts showed by the PDF.
    No grace oil or other lufricant looks to be requiered. Just cleaned for the sand in there and is all working fine now.

Thank you all

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318443 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Sep 2010 - 5:50 PM

Quote: Just cleaned for the sand in there and is all working fine now.

Good to hear and a big thanks for coming back to share the outcome for future users who may have the same issue.

retroken
    retroken  2 United Kingdom
    22 Feb 2012 - 11:53 AM

I found this interesting as I have just missed some good shots of a fox crossing a field.
    I have a 300mm lens attached and discovered the tilt and side to side were sticking and jerking instead of moving smoothly, which caused me to keep losing sight of the fox.
    Should I give it a squirt of 3in1/wd40, or will this damage the head? ie does it need to be stripped??

mikehit
    mikehit  56474 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Feb 2012 - 12:59 PM

3in1 will collect dirt and really mess up your head. WD 40 is also a 'wet' lubricant and could do the same thing.
    You need a dry lubricant (if at all).

luizdasilva
    22 Feb 2012 - 3:50 PM

Hi mikehit,

You shouldn't use it there. Having the mechanism clean would be enough.
    This is the schema to assembly / de-assembly it in order to clean it out:
    http://mediacdn.shopatron.com/media/mfg/2747/media_document/live_2/804RC2_200611...

If you are no sure about doing it your self, take it to an tech assistence.

Regards,

Luiz

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.