Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Manfrotto Modo Monopod/Tripod range

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    fishiee
    fishiee e2 Member 10460 forum postsfishiee vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    29 May 2007 - 12:09 AM

Hi,

I have had a look at these and first impressions are they are quite impressive pieces of kit for the money. I am looking at ultralightweight travel supports. The Monopod I'm pretty sure will serve me well. It's 25% the weight of my big bertha Manfrotto and would even go as hand luggage in my rucksack whereas my old one would go with the fishing rods! I'm also very tempted by the Modo mini tripod as a travel tripod for very occasional use. Ie when I go fishing and weight is VERY limited (All those rods, reels and lures add up!) but fancy taking the odd landscape. Recommended weight is 1KG but from the feel of it it should take more? Planning on attaching a 30D and 17-40 to it. If it could handle that it would be a dream piece of kit for me!

Anyone with experience that could give me some feedback on it would be much appreciated. Is the head fixed btw on the tripod? I quite fancy that on the monopod as well!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    29 May 2007 - 12:09 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Bellie
    Bellie  7507 forum posts
    30 May 2007 - 11:03 AM

Hi John

I have recently bought a Manfrotto Modo Maxi which is great. only cost 39.95 throught the Ephotozine (WE) store. It folds down to nothing really and is nice and light. I think the head is fixed to the tripod but I will check. The ball mount is ok if a little slim for big cameras, and I guess it wouldn't take a lot of extra weight, although if it is not used all the time you might get away with it. I use a Fuji S9600 on it which is about 650gm and it handles fine. If you would like I can check at the weekend and test it with a friend's EOS30 and similar lens. If it is around the 1kg mark I am sure it will be ok.

Andy

Doclassie
    Doclassie  91135 forum posts England
    30 May 2007 - 1:57 PM

I too have just bought a modo maxi tripod. I haven't field tested it yet but am confident it will work fine with my D70 and 18/70mm or 10/20mm lenses fine. Its obviously not as sturdy as heavy tripod so you'll have to let the vibrations settle after altering camera settings and use a remote or the self timer when taking shots. Also, shield it in windy conditions.

A well made piece of kit for the money though.

fishiee
    fishiee e2 Member 10460 forum postsfishiee vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    30 May 2007 - 5:56 PM

Just ordered the modo mini (The smaller size and weight was quite important). Will be mostly used for when I am fishing in Africa and want to take some landscape shots in low light/long exposures. It's only for occasional use so thought it was worth a go for 45 Smile

I decided on closer inspection that the monopod wasn't really for me. I do at times put quite a lot of pressure on my currend monopod in certain circumstances and didn't think the little manfrotto would handle it. Also it really has quite a small foot which I wasn't so keen on. I have a velbon aluminium jobbie I won at a raffle which I'll use instead. Not quite so small/light but a lot stronger. Half the weight of my big Manfrotto tho Smile

Last Modified By fishiee at 30 May 2007 - 5:58 PM
    redhotsheep
    7 Jun 2007 - 2:33 PM

Hi fishiee,

I am in the same position as you - I would like a compact and light tripod for travel purposes. Have you recieved your Modo Mini yet? If so, could you post your impressions?

Many thanks!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.