Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Manual for CS5

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

bigalguitarpicker

As a mature student (very mature!) Iíve been able to buy Photoshop CS5 at Student/Teacher rate and I now want to buy a manual. I know thereís lots of online tutorials, Iíve got 30 days free access to Lynda.com, but Iím old fashioned and I like hard copy to refer to. Iíve had some of Philip Andrews guides in the past, and I found them to be first class. I also have the Essential Skills guide to CS3 by Philip Andrews and Mark Galer which is of course, excellent. Iím wondering though, whether to buy a manual by Martin Evening this time, or maybe the Classroom in a Book by the Adobe team. Has anyone any recommendations? I've posted this request in a couple of other places as well (just in case anyone thinks they've had a Deja Vu experience!)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Nov 2010 - 8:18 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
27 Nov 2010 - 8:32 PM

Try 'googling' for 'CS5 for Dummies' (no offence Wink)

They (the ''Dummies' people) have produced one and, if it's anything like their other manuals, there's a lot of good stuff in it. Amazon would be a good start in terms the purchase..

HTH's.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
NeilS
NeilS e2 Member 7868 forum postsNeilS vcard United Kingdom
27 Nov 2010 - 8:48 PM

Try Ebay, usually loads on there

lawbert
lawbert  71713 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
27 Nov 2010 - 8:54 PM

Photoshop is a very very DEEP subject and there isnt a manual or online tutorial to advise you until you decide what you want from PhotoshopWink

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315583 forum posts England
27 Nov 2010 - 9:00 PM

I have CS3 for Dummies and it's awful, although haven't looked at the CS5 one. Scot Kelby does some good ones (if you can put up with his sense of "humour").

GPTek
GPTek e2 Member 8437 forum postsGPTek vcard England1 Constructive Critique Points
27 Nov 2010 - 9:02 PM

I've always found Scott Kelby (Editor and Publisher of Photoshop User Magazine) very easy to follow. The Adobe Photoshop CS5 Book for Digital Photographers is currently £15 at Amazon.

Geoff

Ah - another vote for Scott

Last Modified By GPTek at 27 Nov 2010 - 9:04 PM
Stuart463
Stuart463 e2 Member 6561 forum postsStuart463 vcard United Kingdom
27 Nov 2010 - 9:25 PM

I have Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Photographers by Martin Evening, a remarkable reference tool. Martin is an Alpha and Beta tester for photoshop and certainly knows his stuff. Not light reading - 750 pages makes this a heavy tome but on the plus side he is a london based photographer and uses the english language as I understand it. The accompanying DVD includes the images used in the book, as well as QuickTime movie tutorials that show you how to get results. Also available on Amazon at about £18. Highly recommended.

HTH

Regards, Stuart

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Alan_Warriner
27 Nov 2010 - 9:51 PM

try your local library

bigalguitarpicker
27 Nov 2010 - 10:46 PM

@ Cheers Alan. Local library? Not a hope! Besides, I want my own copy. Thanks anyway!

@Mike Otley. Dummies are good. Bought Digital Photography for Dummies years back.

martyn05
martyn05  7363 forum posts England
27 Nov 2010 - 11:16 PM

Another vote for Martin Evening, I have purchased his books for CS3, CS4 and CS5. Well worth it IMHO.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73867 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
28 Nov 2010 - 6:06 AM

Another vote for Scott Kelby. I have Martin Evenings books for CS2 and Lightroom, both good reference. But Scott Kelbys on CS5 is easier to follow with real examples and some great tips. So much so I'm going to get one of his other books.

As an aside I think the content aware fill is the biggest let down after all the hype I read.

Last Modified By Nick_w at 28 Nov 2010 - 6:12 AM
miyaguchi
miyaguchi  4136 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Nov 2010 - 8:22 AM

Also worth a look is 'The Missing Manual' series of books covering Photoshop CS5, these are downloadable over the internet. Nearly 800 pages but written in easy to understand layman terms. With CD images for practising what the author is teaching.

User_Removed
28 Nov 2010 - 3:52 PM

Quote: I have Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Photographers by Martin Evening, a remarkable reference tool. Martin is an Alpha and Beta tester for photoshop and certainly knows his stuff. Not light reading - 750 pages makes this a heavy tome but on the plus side he is a london based photographer and uses the english language as I understand it. The accompanying DVD includes the images used in the book, as well as QuickTime movie tutorials that show you how to get results. Also available on Amazon at about £18. Highly recommended.

HTH

Regards, Stuart

I'll second that emotion!

I like Martin Evening's books for both Photoshop and Lightroom. He has the added advantage of being British. His books look expensive but you'll get at least £10 off with free delivery on Amazon.

miyaguchi
miyaguchi  4136 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Nov 2010 - 4:24 PM

Alex I have both the Martin Evening and Missing Manual Photoshop CS5 books and my opinion is that the Martin Evening book is not for the PS beginner but already experienced PS user and vice versa for the Missing Manual.

boff
boff  3 United Kingdom
29 Nov 2010 - 6:13 PM

Another vote for Martin Evening , although I have only just started it .

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.