Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Manual SLR revival?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

filmforever
10 Dec 2007 - 11:37 AM

In conversation with a respected camera dealer in London recently, he stated that there seems to be a revival of interest in film cameras, particularly the more "classic" ones like the Olympus OM1n. Apparently many photographers are becoming dissilusioned with digital, especially relating to cost...the digital stuff depreciates faster than the legendary Ford Cortina, whereas if you have a manual camera from Nikon, Leica, Olympus etc., then you have a camera built to last the best part of a lifetime.
This set me thinking. If Cosina can find it profitable to re-introduce the Voigtlander series of rengefinder cameras, and also Zeiss with theirs, why can't Olympus or Nikon re-introduce the OM1 or FM2?
Why don't all us film enthusiasts e-mail or write to these companies suggesting just that?...They surely must take stock of public opinion?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Dec 2007 - 11:37 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 102983 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2007 - 11:52 AM

Collectors perhaps and not the use of film
Ken

Geoffphoto
10 Dec 2007 - 11:55 AM

I've just bought a mint Nikon F5 for only 400 'cos I really want to get back to using film !!

paulcoxphotography

Well given that SLR sales seem to be higher than ever and are growing at a massive rate it looks like manufacturers are giving consumers what they want.

Besides if it means I can get a Nikon FM2 and Contax 645 for next to nothing off ebay (to join my OM1n) then it's all good Smile

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2007 - 11:56 AM

Remember how much those mechanical cameras cost to make and the low volume you are talking about. Go back and in real terms they cost more than say a 40D. I think an OM1 would cost about 1,000 today if you take its when new price forward. And at lower volume??

So cost wise they will not look exciting. There are new cameras to cater for this market, look at Leica, at a suitable price.

Plus there is the cost of lenses etc. Remember these people only dropped those cameras due to lack of demand.

Having said that, cameras like the OM1 are nice to handle and make a nice contrast to modern cameras. So at second hand prices and for occasional usage, a nice old film camera has its charms. But new, nah.

What I would like is a digital back for say an OM1. That would be good.

Geoffphoto
10 Dec 2007 - 12:24 PM

I always thought that the OM2 SP was a nicer camera to use and handle that the OM1 ( IMHO ) Smile

franken
franken e2 Member 123177 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2007 - 1:05 PM

I continue to use the odd roll of film in my collection of film slr's.

So far this year I've purchased from Ebay/bootsales the following:
Pentax MEF with 50mm f1.7A lens in almost mint condition for 7.00.
Pentax MG for only a pound because the film rewinding handle was missing. A scrap MV on Ebay for 3.50 soon fixed that.

A Chinon CE5 in mint condition with a Chinon 28-50 lens for 10.00

A Ricoh KR10 super with a 28-70 lens in mint condition for 9.00

A Pentax Pt 30n body for 6.00.

An Olympus trip with lens cap and original pouch for 2.00

A Minolta XGM with 35-70 lens in good condition and a camera bag to go with it for 5.00.
All the above have been used several times and work well.

I've also purchased sevaral newish Auto focus slr's.

Ken

paulcoxphotography

Quote: If Cosina can find it profitable to re-introduce the Voigtlander series of rengefinder cameras, and also Zeiss with theirs

Cosina make both systems...

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2007 - 1:59 PM

Quote: mint Nikon F5 for only 400

Jammy Sod.....Smile

User_Removed
10 Dec 2007 - 6:05 PM

Ditto! Mind you - I love my N90s (F90x). Crackin' piece of kit - and all lenses 100% x-compatible with the D200 ( Grin )

matt5791
matt5791  10747 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2007 - 7:34 PM

Well, Nikon was until very recently, making the FM3a.

The problem is that there are so many very good condition examples available on the SH market.

Quote: I've just bought a mint Nikon F5 for only 400 'cos I really want to get back to using film !!

I'v handled the F6 - I think the F5 really was the pinnacle of 35mm slr camera design.

timbo
timbo  12591 forum posts United Kingdom
10 Dec 2007 - 7:52 PM

I've started shooting regularly with my OM system and love every solid metal click, clunk manual focus/exposure minute of it. Not to mention the intoxicating aroma of fixer in a darkened room mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. bring it on, if Olympus re introduced the OM system i'd be a happy man.

filmforever
12 Dec 2007 - 3:09 PM

[quote]Remember how much those mechanical cameras cost to make and the low volume you are talking about. Go back and in real terms they cost more than say a 40D. I think an OM1 would cost about 1,000 today if you take its when new price forward. And at lower volume??
are new cameras to cater for this market, look at Leica, at a suitable price.

But surely if Cosina can market the excellent Voigtlander rangefinders and lenses at a reasonable price, why cannot Olympus re-market the OM1n at a similarly reasonable price?
There is a healthy demand for the rangefinder Voigtlander. If Olympus re-introduced the OM1n, they would have the manual SLR market virtually to themselves in the middle price range.
The dealer I spoke to reckoned he could sell as many as he could get hold of. He's always being asked about s/h mint OM1n's, but they just aren't around.

Hugeknot
Hugeknot  91212 forum posts Iceland2 Constructive Critique Points
12 Dec 2007 - 3:17 PM

So glad I kept my OM1 (which is far more classical than the OM2 Wink ).

I would like to be able keep it in it's mint condition and use it myself when I am retired.

stevem
stevem  10238 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Dec 2007 - 9:17 PM

[quote]In conversation with a respected camera dealer in London recently, he stated that there seems to be a revival of interest in film cameras"

Could be that they are so cheap they are a tempting reminiscence! I love an old Pentax MX, that I got off ebay at a bargain price, (I bought a new one in 1981) however it gets little use. It is used very occasionally for a specific project & there's something satisfying about using traditional film (as it used to be). However the benefits of digital are incredible & taken for granted it seems after 5+ years of use.

In 1981 (or even 1991) digital photography was a science fiction dream, yet to be realised. Now you can pick up a used DSLR for not much more than 100.
It's a pity nothing came of the silicon film digital insert that was mentioned around 2000, but got scuppered by the introduction of the D30 & other "prosumer" models.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.